Ariel G Gildengers, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Young RC, Mulsant BH, Sajatovic M, Gildengers AG, Gyulai L, Al-Jurdi RK, Beyer J, Evans J, Banerjee S, Greenberg R, Marino P, Kunik ME, Chen P, Barrett M, Schulberg HC, Bruce ML, Reynolds CF, Alexopoulos, GS: GERI-BD: A randomized, double-blind controlled trial of lithium and divalproex in the treatment of mania in older patients with bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2017; 174(11) 1086-1093
- Gildengers AG, Butters MA, Albert SM, Anderson SJ, Dew MA, Erickson KI, Garand L, Karp JF, Lockovich MH, Morse JQ, Reynolds CF III: The design and implementation of an intervention development study: retaining cognition while avoiding late-life depression (ReCALL). Am J Geriatr Psych. 2016 Jun;24(6):444-54 PMID: 27066730
- Gildengers AG, Butters MA Aizenstein HJ, Marron MM, Emanuel J, Anderson SJ, Weissfeld, LA, Becker JT, Lopez OL, Mulsant BH, Reynolds CF III: Longer lithium exposure is associated with better white matter integrity in older adults with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2015; 17(3):248-56
- Gildengers AG, Chung KH, Huang SH, Aizenstein HJ, Tsai SY: Neuroprogressive effects of lifetime illness duration in older adults with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2014; 16(6):617-23 PMCID: 24716786
- Gildengers AG, Chisholm D, Anderson SJ, Begley, A, Holm M, Rogers J, Reynolds CF, Mulsant BH: Two Year Course of Cognitive and IADL Function in Older Adults with Bipolar Disorder: Evidence for Neuroprogression? Psychol Med. 2013;43(4):801-11 PMID 22846332
ISBD 2016 Best Paper Award
The International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) has selected an article by Ariel Gildengers, MD as one of the best papers published in the journal Bipolar Disorders in 2015. Dr. Gildengers is an active member of the Department of Psychiatry's Geriatric Psychiatry Research program and has published extensively on late-life mood disorders.Dr. Gildengers' paper was one of only three articles selected by a panel...
Hot Publication - Gildengers et al.
Longer Lithium Exposure is Associated with Better White Matter Integrity in Older Adults with Bipolar DisorderGildengers AG, Butters MA, Aizenstein HJ, Marron MM, Emanuel J, Anderson SJ, Weissfeld LA, Becker JT, Lopez OL, Mulsant BH and Reynolds CF, IIIBipolar Disorder, In PressBipolar disorder is associated with cognitive dysfunction and structural brain abnormalities. In human and non-human studies, lithium has...
Ariel Gildengers, MD Promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Please join us in congratulating Ariel Gildengers, MD on his promotion to the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Gildengers received his medical degree from the New Jersey Medical School. After completing his general psychiatric residency at the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry and the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC) in 2001, he went on to completer clinical and research...
ACNP Awards go to Department Faculty
Department Faculty Recognized by the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) has recognized two Department of Psychiatry faculty for their contributions to the field at its recent 49th Annual Meeting in Miami Beach, Florida. Katherine L. Wisner, MD, MS, Professor of Psychiatry, Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences and Epidemiology, has been...