Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Goldstein, T. R., Krantz, M. L., Fersch-Podrat, R. K., Hotkowski, N. J., Merranko, J., Sobel, L., Axelson, D., Birmaher, B., & Douaihy, A. A brief motivational intervention for enhancing medication adherence for adolescents with bipolar disorder: A pilot randomized trial. 2020, Journal of affective disorders, 265, 19
- Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Matheson T, Stitzer M, Das M, Jain MK, Rodriguez AE, Armstrong WS, Lucas GM, Nijhawan AE, Drainoni ML, Herrera P, Vergara-Rodriguez P, Jacobson JM, Mugavero MJ, Sullivan M, Daar ES, McMahon DK, Ferris DC, Lindblad R, VanVeldhuisen P, Oden N, Castelln, Tross S, Haynes LF, Douaihy A, Sorensen JL, Metzger DS, Mandler RN, Colfax GN, del Rio C. Effect of Patient Navigation With or Without Financial Incentives on Viral Suppression Among Hospitalized Patients With HIV Infection and Substance Use. A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016, 316(2): 156-170.
- Winhusen T, Kropp F, Lindblad R, Douaihy A, Haynes L, Hodgkins C. Chartier K, Kampman KM, Sharma G, Lewis DF, VanVeldhuisen P, Theobald J, May J, Brigham GS. A multi-site, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of buspirone as a relapse-prevention treatment for cocaine dependence. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2014, 75(7):757-64.
- Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Schackman BR, Matheson T, Das M, Golden MR, Huffaker S, Haynes LF, Tross S, Malotte CK, Douaihy A, Korthuis PT, Duffus WA, Henn S, Bolan R, Philip SS, Castro JG, Castellon PC, McLaughlin G, Mandler RN, Branson B, Colfax GM. Effect of Risk-Reduction Counseling with Rapid HIV Testing on Risk of Acquiring Sexually Transmitted Infections. The AWARE Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2013, 310(16):1701-1710.
- Bogenschutz M, Donovan D, Mandler R, Perl H, Forcehimes A, Crandall C, Lindblad R, Oden N, Sharma G, Metsch L, Lyons M, McCormack R, Konstantopoulos WM, Douaihy A. Brief intervention for drug users presenting in emergency departments. JAMA Internal Medicine, 2014, 174(11):1736-45.
- Wilkening GL, Kucherer SA, Douaihy AB. Priapism and renal colic in a patient treated with duloxetine. Ment Health Clin. 2016, 6(4):197-200.
- Beth D. Kennard, Candice Biernesser, Kristin L. Wolfe, Aleksandra A. Foxwell, Simon J. Craddock Lee, Katie V. Rial, Sarita Patel, Carol Cheng, Tina Goldstein, Dana, McMakin, Beatriz Blastos, Antoine Douaihy, Jamie Zelazny & David A. Brent. Developing a Brief Suicide Prevention Intervention and Mobile Phone Application: A Qualitative Report. Journal of Technology in Human Services, 2015, 33(4):345-357.
- Kelly TM, Daley DC, Douaihy AB. Treatment of substance abusing patients with comorbid psychiatric disorders. Addictive Behaviors 2012, 37(1):11-24.
- Douaihy AB, Kelly TM, Sullivan C. Medications for substance use disorders. Social Work in Public Health 2013, 28(3-4):264-278.
- Brent DA, McMakin DL, Kennard BD, Goldstein TR, Mayes TL, Douaihy AB. Protecting adolescents from self-harm: A critical review of intervention studies. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2013, 52(12):1260-1271.
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA. Developing a Clinician Educator Faculty Development Program: Lessons Learned. Acad Psychiatry. 2016, DOI: 10.1007/s40596-016-0596-x. PMID: 27538911.
- Nightingale B, Gopalan P, Azzam P, Douaihy A, Conti T. Teaching brief motivational interventions for diabetes to family medicine residents. Fam Med 2016, 48(3):187-193.
- Malas N, Rofey D, Kuchera AM, Fletcher J, Ortiz-Aguayo R, Douaihy A, Gold M. Motivational interviewing in paediatric residency. The Clinical Teacher. 2016, DOI: 10.1111/tct.12503.
- Douaihy A, Kelly TM, Gold MA (Editors). Motivational Interviewing: A Guide for Medical Trainees, New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Douaihy A & Daley DC (Editors). Substance Use Disorders, Pittsburgh Pocket Series. NY: Oxford University Press. DJ Kupfer & M Travis (Series editors), 2013.
Highlights from the 2021 Department of Psychiatry Clinician Educator Showcase
On March 25, 2021, Pitt Psychiatry clinician-educator faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) trainees and staff gathered virtually for the Department’s 9th Clinician Educator Showcase. The Showcase is an annual opportunity for clinician-educators to learn about promising clinical innovations and the latest quality improvement initiatives. The event includes career development roundtable discussions...
Psychiatry Honored with Four Teaching Awards from the School of Medicine
Congratulations to Antoine Douaihy, MD (Professor of Psychiatry and Medicine); Neeta Shenai, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry); Daniel Bender, DO (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry); Morgan Faeder, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Neurology); and Kristen Eckstrand, MD, PhD (postdoctoral scholar), who have been honored for excellence in education at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine...
Catch Up on the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Podcast, Psychiatry Advances
Psychiatry Advances, the Department of Psychiatry podcast launched earlier this year, presents innovative research and patient-centered programs at the cutting edge of psychiatry and the behavioral sciences. The host of Psychiatry Advances is Loren Roth, MD, MPH, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry. If you aren’t caught up with the latest, below are the episodes currently available to stream from the...
Brent and Colleagues Test New Smartphone-based Intervention to Reduce Suicide Attempts by Teens Following Hospital Discharge
Adolescent suicide and suicidal behavior have shown dramatic increases in the past decade, making suicide the second leading cause of death in this age group. The standard practice is to hospitalize adolescents at highest imminent risk for a suicide attempt, but the risk for suicidal behavior is highest within the first three weeks after discharge. Currently there are no interventions designed to decrease the risk...