Melanie J Grubisha, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Grubisha MJ, Sun X, MacDonald ML, Garver M, Sun Z, DeGiosio RA, Lewis DA, Yates NA, Camacho C, Ding Y & Sweet RA. MAP2 is hyperphosphorylated in schizophrenia, altering its function. Mol Psych. 2021 Feb 1; epub ahead of print. PMID: 33526823
- Russell TA, Grubisha MJ, Remmers CL, Kang SK, Forrest MP, Smith KR, Kopeikina KJ, Gao R, Sweet RA, Penzes P. A schizophrenia-linked KALRN coding variant alters neuron morphology, protein function, and transcript stability. Biol Psychiatry. 2018 Mar 15;83(6):499-508. PMID:29241584 PMCID: PMC5809265
- Grubisha MJ, Lin CW, Tseng GC, Penzes P, Sibille E, Sweet RA. Age-Dependent Increase in Kalirin-9 and Kalirin-12 in Human Orbitofrontal Cortex. Eur J Neurosci. 2016 Oct;44(7):2483-2492. PMID: 27471199 PMCID: PMC5048532
- Grubisha M, Wilson J, Gopalan P & Azzam P. Suspected secondhand smoke and clozapine toxicity. Psychosomatics. 2015 Nov-Dec;56(6):707-9.
- Grubisha MJ, Brennan JL & Douaihy A. Isolated sinus tachycardia following reinitiation of risperidone in a patient with suspected autonomic hypersensitivity. J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2015 Jan-Mar;6(1):42-4 PMCID: PMC4319250
- Grubisha M, Gopalan P & Azzam PN. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy in a young man after maintenance electroconvulsive therapy and clozapine initiation: A case report. The Journal of ECT. 2014 Dec; 30(4):e40-1.
New Research in Molecular Psychiatry: MAP2 Function Is Altered in Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a polygenic disorder with common, rare, and structural variants. These variants each contribute only a small fraction of overall risk for developing the disease. To improve understanding of synaptic and functional deterioration shared by large proportions of individuals with schizophrenia, scientists including Melanie Grubisha, MD, PhD; Matthew MacDonald, PhD; David Lewis, MD; and Robert Sweet, MD...
Pitt Psychiatry Hosts Virtual Research Matinee—An Afternoon of Discovery, Reflection, and Celebration
Last week we reinvented our annual in-person Research Day as a virtual Research Matinee, a Department-wide exploration of innovative research, career reflections and honors for outstanding faculty and staff. Attendees included nearly 200 Psychiatry faculty, trainees, and staff, who tuned in for plenary speaker Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), followed by the perennially popular Speed Dat(a)ing, in which six...
“This summer has been one of the most transformative times of my life”: The 10th Annual Center for Translational Mental Health Research Undergraduate Research Program
This summer marks the 10th year of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, funded by the NIMH Conte Center for Translational Mental Health Research. The competitive 10-week summer program provides undergraduate students studying neuroscience, biology and psychology, among other fields, the opportunity to conduct hands-on, cutting-edge neuroscience research under the mentorship of clinical and basic...
The Department of Psychiatry Welcomes Kale Edmiston, PhD, Marie Anne Gebara, MD, Lisa Germeroth, PhD, and Melanie Grubisha, MD, PhD, to the Faculty
The Department of Psychiatry is delighted to announce that Kale Edmiston, PhD, Marie Anne Gebara, MD, Lisa Germeroth, PhD, and Melanie Grubisha, MD, PhD, have joined the faculty at the rank of assistant professor. Dr. Edmiston received his PhD in Neuroscience from Vanderbilt University and began his postdoctoral training at China Medical University in Shenyang, China. He then joined the University of Pittsburgh...