Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Birmaher B, Merranko J, Gill MK, Hafeman D, Goldstein T, Goldstein B, Hower H, Strober M, Axelson D, Ryan N, Yen S, Diler R, Iyengar S, Kattan M, Weinstock L, Keller M. Predicting personalized risk of mood recurrences in youths and young adults with bipolar disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2020 Jan 21 (Online ahead of print). PMID: 31978620. PMCID: PMC7371512.
- Bertocci MA, Hanford L, Manelis A, Iyengar S, Youngstron E, Gill MK, Monk K, Versace A, Bonar L, Bebko G, Ladouceur CD, Perlman S, Diler R, Horwitz S, Arnold E, Hafeman D, Travis M, Kowatch R, Holland SK, Fristad M, Findling R, Birmaher B, Phillips ML. Clinical, cortical thickness, and neural activity predictors of future affective lability in youth at risk for bipolar disorder: initial discovery and independent sample replication. Molecular Psychiatry. 2019 Dec;24(12):1856-1867. PMID: 31628415. PMCID: PMC6814510.
- Shalev A, Merranko J, Goldstein T, Miklowitz DJ, Axelson D, Goldstein BI, Brent D, Monk K, Hickey MB, Hafeman D, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Birmaher B. A longitudinal study of family functioning in offspring of bipolar parents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2019 Oct;58(10):961-970. PMID: 30768400. PMCID: PMC6584080.
- Birmaher B, Gill MK, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Yu H, Liao F, Iyengar S, Diler RS, Strober M, Hower H, Yen S, Hunt J, Merranko JA, Ryan ND, Keller MB. Longitudinal trajectories and associated baseline predictors in youths with bipolar spectrum disorders. Am J Psychiatry, 2014 Sep; 171(9):990-9. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp. 2014. 13121577. PMID 24874203. PMCID: PMC4164021.
- Birmaher B, Axelson DA, Monk K, Kalas C, Clark DB, Ehmann M, Bridge J, Heo J, Brent DA. Fluoxetine for the treatment of childhood anxiety disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;42(4):415-23. PMID: 12649628.
- Birmaher B. Bipolar Disorders. In: Martin A, Volkmar FR, eds. Lewiss Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Textbook. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, in press.
- Birmaher B and Brent DA. Depressive Disorders. Dulcans Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, APA Publishing, 2015
- Birmaher B. UpToDate: Diagnosis and Treatment of Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorders, 2014.
- Birmaher B, Brent D, Bernet W, Bukstein O, Walter H, Benson RS, Chrisman A, Farchione T, Greenhill L, Hamilton J, Keable H, Kinlan J, Schoettle U, Stock S, Ptakowski KK, Medicus J. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with depressive disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(11):1503-26. PMID: 18049300. 10075518.
- Birmaher B, Brent DA, Chiappetta L, Bridge J, Monga S, Baugher M. Psychometric properties of the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED): a replication study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38(10):1230-6. PMID: 10517055.
Boris Birmaher, MD, Honored by The American College of Psychiatrists
We are delighted to announce that Boris Birmaher, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Endowed Chair in Early Onset Bipolar Disease) has received the Award for Leadership in Child, Adolescent and Young Adult Psychiatry from the American College of Psychiatrists. The Award recognizes an individual who has made sustained and substantial contributions to child, adolescent and young adult mental health as...
Biological Psychiatry and Journal of Affective Disorders Research in Mood and/or Bipolar Disorders in Adolescence
New research from Pitt Psychiatry investigators provides insight into the development of anxiety, depression, and/or bipolar in adolescence. A Biological Psychiatry study examines the association between trauma exposure, reward neural circuitry function, and affective and anxiety disorders. In the Journal of Affective Disorders, investigators study whether child maltreatment and cognitive function influence the...
The Association Between Mindfulness and Decreased Emotional Lability in Young People At-Risk for Bipolar Disorder
Young people who have parents or siblings with bipolar disorder are at higher risk for developing this disorder than are individuals without a family history. Among those high-risk youth, mood lability—rapid and frequent mood changes that can be disproportionate to current circumstances—is associated with psychosocial impairment and often predictive of future onset of bipolar disorder. A research team including...
Boris Birmaher, MD, Receives the American Psychiatric Association’s 2020 Simon Bolivar Award
We are delighted to announce that the American Psychiatric Association (APA) has honored Boris Birmaher, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Endowed Chair in Early Onset Bipolar Disease), with the 2020 Simon Bolivar Award. The award states that it honors a prominent advocate for Hispanics. Dr. Birmaher was born in Cali, Colombia, and earned his medical degree from the Valle College of Medicine in Colombia...