Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Goldstein TR, Krantz M, Merranko J, Garcia M, Sobel L, Rodriguez C, Douaihy A, Axelson DA, Birmaher B. Medication adherence among adolescents with bipolar disorder. J Child Adol Psychopharmacol. 2016 Dec;26(10). PMID: 27419273
- Goldstein TR, Fersch RK, Rivera M, Axelson DA, Merranko J, Yu H, , Brent DA, Birmaher B. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder: Results from a Pilot Randomized Trial. J Child Adol Psychopharmacol. 2015 Mar;25(2):140-149. PMID: 25010702
- Goldstein TR, Fersch-Podrat RK, Axelson DA, Gilbert A, Hlastala S, Birmaher B, Frank E. Early Intervention for adolescents at high risk for the development of bipolar disorder: Pilot study of Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT). Psychotherapy. 2014 Mar;51(1):180-18. PMID: 24377402
- Goldstein TR, Ha W, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Liao F, Gill MK, Ryan ND, Yen S, Hunt J, Hower H, Keller M, Strober M, Birmaher B. Predictors of prospectively observed suicide attempts among youth with bipolar disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012 Nov;69(11):1113-1122. PMID: 22752079
- Goldstein TR, Obreja M, Shamseddeen W, Iyengar S, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Kupfer DJ, Brent DA, Birmaher B. Risk for suicidal ideation among the offspring of bipolar parents: Results from the Bipolar Offspring Study (BIOS). Arch Suicide Res. 2011 Jul;15(3):207-222. PMID: 21827311
Suicide Research in the Department of Psychiatry
At Pitt Psychiatry, our faculty members conduct cutting-edge research on topics related to suicide across the lifespan. In recognition of Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we offer a look at ongoing suicide research pertaining to children and adolescents, LGBT youth, and older adult populations. In addition, our scientists investigate topics including decision-making in suicide, the neurobiology of suicide, and...
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center Holds Virtual 2020 Conference: “Bringing Treatment into Focus: Being Virtually Present”
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center, established in 1986, is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program for teens and young children, part of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital’s Child and Adolescent Services. The annual STAR-Center conference presents best-practices in clinical care incorporated into practical guidelines for educational and community settings. This year, more than 600 attendees...
Now in Pediatrics: New Research in Suicidality Disparities Between Transgender and Cisgender Adolescents
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among adolescents in the United States. Yet research has shown that transgender adolescents (adolescents whose true gender identity diverges from the gender assigned at birth) have higher rates of suicidal ideation and attempt than cisgender adolescents (adolescents whose gender identity is the same as the gender assigned at birth). In a recent study published in...
Now in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Lithium and Improved Outcomes in Bipolar Youth
“I came to this research with a specific question inspired by recent literature showing that, in adults with bipolar disorder, lithium is superior to other mood stabilizers,” said Dr. Danella Hafeman, lead author on a recent study in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. “But there was not similar research around mood stabilizers in young people with bipolar disorder,” she added. Dr...