Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Aron EJ, Bostic JQ, Grumet JG, Jacobson SL. Assisting the School in Responding to a Suicide Death: What Every Psychiatrist Should Know. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2018 Oct; 27(4): 607-619. PMID: 30219222.
- Jacobson S, Rozel J, Ghalib K, Kurtz B, Sust S, Feuer V, Sidhu S, Vana G, Gerson R, Adelsheim S, Brent D, Kerr M, Soman A, Hong V, Bostic J, Myint M, Siwatch A, Cohen J. 13 Reasons Why Toolkit: Clinician Guidance. www.13reasonswhytoolkit.org/clinicians. Published online on May 18, 2018.
- Jacobson SL. Thirteen Reasons why to be concerned about 13 Reasons Why. The Brown University Child and Adolescent Behavior Letter. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. May 2017.
- Jacobson MJ, Jacobson SJ, Thase ME. Depressive Disorders, in The Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry, (US Edition). Eds. Kupfer, Horner, Brent, Lewis, Reynolds, Thase and Travis. Oxford University Press. New York, 2008.
- Hunt J, Reichenberg J, Lewis AL, Jacobson SL. Child and adolescent psychiatry training in the USA: Current pathways. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 29, 6369 (2020). PMID: 31515613.
- Spada M, Lundblad W, Glance J, Rosenstock J, Gopalan P, Azzam PN, Jacobson SL, Travis MJ. Self-Assessment of Teaching Skills Among Psychiatric Residents. Acad Psychiatry. 2018 Aug;42(4):477-481. PMID: 29473133.
- Sadhu JM, Lee PC, Stewart C, Carson NJ, Usher C, Maneta E, Kitts R, Sharma N, Adams A, Hazen EP, Myint MT, Lee ES, Vasa RA, Randall TL, Leong SL, Jacobson SL. Lessons from the Launch: Program Directors Reflect on Implementing the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Milestones. Acad Psychiatry. 2018 Aug;42(4):510-516. PMID: 29196980.
- Penner AE, Lundblad W, Azzam PN, Gopalan P, Jacobson SL, Travis MJ. Assessing Career Outcomes of a Resident Academic Administrator, Clinician Educator Track: A Seven Year Follow-up. Acad Psychiatry. 2017 Apr;41(2):278-281. PMID: 27142839.
- Jacobson SL, Travis MJ, Solai L, MacPhee E, Reynolds CF 3rd, Ryan ND, Roth LH, Kupfer DJ. Preparing the Next Generation of Leaders in Clinician-Education and Academic Administration. Acad Psychiatry. 2010 May-Jun;34(3):224-8. PMID: 20431105.
Health Equity and Youth Suicide
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program that combines clinical and outreach services designed to combat the problem of child and adolescent suicide. The STAR-Center provides outpatient assessment and treatment for depressed and anxious children and teens, and offers acute treatment to depressed and suicidal youth through the Center’s intensive outpatient...
The Respect, Responsibility and Equity in Medicine Curriculum for Psychiatry Residents
The Department of Psychiatry Office of Residency Training (ORT)’s Respect, Responsibility and Equity in Medicine (RREM) Residency Curriculum is a required, four-year curriculum designed to educate Pitt Psychiatry residents on the social constructs of race and bias, how to serve as allies and advocates, and how to apply these skills and knowledge in the clinical and academic settings. The development of the RREM...
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center 2021 Conference: “Preventing Suicide in Children and Youth: Building Resilience in the Face of Adversity”
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center, part of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH)’s Child and Adolescent Services, is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program that combines clinical and outreach services designed to combat the problem of child and adolescent suicide. The annual STAR-Center conference presents best practices in clinical care, incorporated into practical guidelines for...
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center Holds Virtual 2020 Conference: “Bringing Treatment into Focus: Being Virtually Present”
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center, established in 1986, is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program for teens and young children, part of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital’s Child and Adolescent Services. The annual STAR-Center conference presents best-practices in clinical care incorporated into practical guidelines for educational and community settings. This year, more than 600 attendees...