Neal D Ryan, MD
Education & Training
- Posada JD, Barda AJ, Xue D, Ruiz V, Ryan ND, Tsui FR. Predictive modeling for classification of positive valence system symptom severity from initial psychiatric evaluation records. J Biomed Inform. 2017 May 29. doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2017.05.019.
- Silk JS, Tan PZ, Ladouceur CD, Meller S, Siegle GJ, McMakin DL, Forbes EE, Dahl RE, Kendall PC, Mannarino A, Ryan ND. A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Individual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Child-Centered Therapy for Child Anxiety Disorders. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2016 Mar 16:1-13. PMID:26983904
- Ryan ND, Kim JW, Leventhal BL. What To Do When It Is not so Clear What To Do: New Opportunities for Studies. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2012 Dec;22(6):463-5. doi: 10.1089/cap.2012.2262. PMID:23234590
- Kim J, Sharma V, Ryan ND. Predicting methylphenidate response in ADHD using machine learning approaches. The international journal of neuropsychopharmacology. 2015. May 10; 18(11) DOI: 10.1093/ijnp/pyv052
- Forbes EE, Phillips ML, Silk JS, Ryan ND, Dahl RE. Neural systems of threat processing in adolescents: role of pubertal maturation and relation to measures of negative affect. Dev Neuropsychol. 2011 May;36(4):429-52. PMID: 21516542
- Saunders J, Gopalan P, Puri N, Azzam PN, Zhou L, Ghinassi F, Jain A, Travis M, Ryan ND. Psychosomatic Medicine for Non-Psychiatric Residents: Video Educationand Incorporation of Technology. Acad Psychiatry. 2015 Dec;39(6):649-53. doi:10.1007/s40596-015-0311-3. Epub 2015 Mar 31. PubMed PMID: 25825227.
- Jacobson SL, Travis MJ, Solai L, MacPhee E, Reynolds CF 3rd, Ryan ND, Roth LH, Kupfer DJ. Preparing the next generation of leaders in clinician-education andacademic administration. Acad Psychiatry. 2010 May-Jun;34(3):224-8. doi:10.1176/appi.ap.34.3.224. PubMed PMID: 20431105.
- Gilbert AR, Tew JD Jr, Reynolds CF 3rd, Pincus HA, Ryan N, Nash K, Kupfer DJ. A developmental model for enhancing research training during psychiatry residency. Acad Psychiatry. 2006 Jan-Feb;30(1):55-62. PubMed PMID: 16473996.
- Reynolds CF 3rd, Martin C, Brent D, Ryan N, Dahl RE, Pilkonis P, Marcus MD, Kupfer DJ. Postdoctoral clinical-research training in psychiatry: A model for teaching grant writing and other research survival skills and for increasingclarity of mentoring expectations. Acad Psychiatry. 1998 Sep;22(3):190-6. doi:10.1901/jaba.1998.22-190. PubMed PMID: 19617924; PubMed Central PMCID:PMC2711541.
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $16.2M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Addressing Adolescent Suicide, with Focus on Black and Hispanic Youth
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant renewal for Enhancing Triage and Utilization for Depression and Emergent Suicidality (ETUDES), led by David Brent, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Epidemiology, and Clinical and Translational Science, and Endowed Chair in Suicide Studies). The Center is co-led by Bruce Rollman, MD...
Now in The American Journal of Psychiatry: Neural Reward Circuitry & Psychotherapy in Youths with Anxiety Disorders
In a recent American Journal of Psychiatry study, Pitt Psychiatry investigators examined the association between function in the brain’s reward circuitry and response to psychotherapy in youths with anxiety disorders. Recent research has indicated the importance of reward in the pathophysiology and treatment of anxiety, suggesting the potential involvement of reward circuitry in treatment response. The team of...
Biological Psychiatry and Journal of Affective Disorders Research in Mood and/or Bipolar Disorders in Adolescence
New research from Pitt Psychiatry investigators provides insight into the development of anxiety, depression, and/or bipolar in adolescence. A Biological Psychiatry study examines the association between trauma exposure, reward neural circuitry function, and affective and anxiety disorders. In the Journal of Affective Disorders, investigators study whether child maltreatment and cognitive function influence the...
Pitt Psychiatry Faculty and Trainees Attend the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting
Department of Psychiatry faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) residents attended the 66th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP), disseminating their expertise through 26 workshops, posters and presentations on numerous topics in the field, as well as on well-being for physicians and career development for medical students and residents. The annual conference...