Lauren M Bylsma, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Evans SC, Hamilton JL, Boyd SI, Karlovich AR, Ladouceur CD, Silk JS & Bylsma LM.(2023). Daily associations between sleep and affect in youth at risk for psychopathology: The moderating role of externalizing symptoms. Manuscript in press at Child and Adolescent Psychopathology.
- Bylsma LM, Tan PZ, Silk JS, Forbes EE, McMakin DL, Dahl RE, Ryan ND & Ladouceur CD. (2022). The late positive potential during affective picture processing: Associations with daily life emotional functioning among adolescents with anxiety disorders. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 182: 70-80.
- Bylsma LM. (2021). Emotion context insensitivity in depression: Toward an integrated and contextualized approach. Psychophysiology, 58(2), e13715.
- Panaite V, Rottenberg J & Bylsma LM. (2020). Daily affective dynamics predict depression symptom trajectories among adults with major and minor depression. Affective Science, 1(3), 186-198.
- Stone LB, McCormack CC & Bylsma LM. (2020). Cross system autonomic balance and regulation: Associations with depression and anxiety symptoms. Psychophysiology, 57(10), e13636.
- Swartz HA, Bylsma LM, Fournier J, Spotts C, Cohn JF, Girard JM & Morency L-P. (2023). Randomized trial of brief interpersonal psychotherapy and brief cognitive behavioral therapy for depression delivered both in-person and by telehealth. Manuscript in press at Journal of Affective Disorders. Shared First-Authorship
- Gupta T, Antezana L, Porter C, Mayanil T, Bylsma LM, Maslar M & Horton LE. (2023). Skills Program for Awareness, Connectedness, and Empowerment: A Conceptual Framework of a Skills Group for Individuals with a Psychosis-Risk Syndrome. Manuscript in Press at Frontiers in Psychiatry Schizophrenia.
- Vail AK, Girard JM, Bylsma LM, Cohn JF, Fournier J, Swartz HA & Morency L.-P. (2022). Toward causal understanding of therapist-client relationships: A study of language modality and social entrainment. Proceedings of the 24th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction. Bengaluru, India. Https://doi.org/10.1145/3536221.3556616
- Bylsma LM, Gracanin A & Vingerhoets A J. (2021). A clinical practice review of crying research. Psychotherapy, 58(1), 133.
- Bylsma LM, Gracanin A & Vingerhoets AJ. (2017) Why humans weep. In Blume-Marcovici (ed.), When Therapists Cry: Reflections on Therapists Tears in Therapy. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Bylsma LM. (2018) Social Anxiety Disorder: Assessment and Management. CMEtoGO Psychiatry, 7(4). American Physician Institute. https://www.masterpsych.com/psychiatry-cme-to-go/
- Rottenberg J & Bylsma LM. (2014) Emotional functioning in depression. In Gotlib, I.H. & Hammen, C.L. (eds.). Handbook of Depression: Guildford Press.
- Bylsma LM & Panaite V. (2012) Depression. In Oxford Bibliographies Online: Psychology. ScholarOne Books.
- Bylsma LM & Rottenberg J. (2011) Uncovering the dynamics of emotion regulation and dysfunction in daily life with ecological momentary assessment. In Vingerhoets, A.J.J.M, Nyklicek, I. & Zeelenberg, M. (eds.),Emotion Regulation and Well-being (pp. 225-244). Springer, New York, NY.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Lauren Bylsma, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Lauren Bylsma, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Bylsma earned her PhD in clinical psychology from the University of South Florida. She came to Pittsburgh for postdoctoral research training in the Department of Psychiatry’s National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)-funded T32 training program for...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
Pitt Psychiatry Hosts Virtual Research Matinee—An Afternoon of Discovery, Reflection, and Celebration
Last week we reinvented our annual in-person Research Day as a virtual Research Matinee, a Department-wide exploration of innovative research, career reflections and honors for outstanding faculty and staff. Attendees included nearly 200 Psychiatry faculty, trainees, and staff, who tuned in for plenary speaker Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), followed by the perennially popular Speed Dat(a)ing, in which six...
Lauren Bylsma Receives Early Career Award from Society for Psychophysiological Research
The Department of Psychiatry is pleased to announce that Lauren Bylsma, PhD, has received a Distinguished Scientific Award for an Early Career Contribution to Psychophysiology from the Society for Psychophysiological Research (SPR). Dr. Bylsma received this prestigious award at the Society’s annual meeting in Washington, DC (September 25–29, 2019), where she also delivered the Early Career Award Address, “A...