Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Stone LB, Lewis G & Bylsma LM. (2020) The autonomic correlates of dysphoric rumination and post-rumination savoring. Physiology & Behavior, 113027.
- Hamilton JL, Ladouceur CD, Silk JS, Franzen PL & Bylsma LM. (2020) Higher tates of sleep disturbance among offspring of parents with recurrent depression compared to offspring of nondepressed parents. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 45(1), 1-11.
- Bylsma LM, Yaroslavsky I, Rottenberg J, Jennings JR, George CJ, Kiss E, Halas K, Dochnal R, Lefkovics E, Benak I, Baji I, Vetro A & Kovacs M. (2015) Juvenile onset depression alters cardiac autonomic balance in response to psychological and physical challenges. Biological Psychology, 110, 167-174.
- Bylsma LM, Salomon K, Taylor-Clift A, Morris BH & Rottenberg J. (2014) Respiratory sinus arrhythmia reactivity in current and remitted major depressive disorder. Psychosomatic Medicine, 76(1), 66-73.
- Bylsma LM, Taylor-Clift A & Rottenberg J. (2011) Emotional reactivity to daily events in major and minor depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120(1), 155-167.
- Bylsma LM, Gracanin A & Vingerhoets AJJM. (2017) Why humans weep. In Blume-Marcovici (ed.), When Therapists Cry: Reflections on Therapists Tears in Therapy. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Bylsma LM, Mauss IB & Rottenberg J. (2016) Is the divide a chasm?: Bridging affective science with clinical practice. Journal of Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment, 38(1), 42-47.
- Bylsma LM. (2018) Social Anxiety Disorder: Assessment and Management. CMEtoGO Psychiatry, 7(4). American Physician Institute. https://www.masterpsych.com/psychiatry-cme-to-go/
- Rottenberg J & Bylsma LM. (2014) Emotional functioning in depression. In Gotlib, I.H. & Hammen, C.L. (eds.). Handbook of Depression: Guildford Press.
- Bylsma LM & Panaite V. (2012) Depression. In Oxford Bibliographies Online: Psychology. ScholarOne Books.
- Bylsma LM & Rottenberg J. (2011) Uncovering the dynamics of emotion regulation and dysfunction in daily life with ecological momentary assessment. In Vingerhoets, A.J.J.M, Nyklicek, I. & Zeelenberg, M. (eds.),Emotion Regulation and Well-being (pp. 225-244). Springer, New York, NY.
Lauren Bylsma Receives Early Career Award from Society for Psychophysiological Research
The Department of Psychiatry is pleased to announce that Lauren Bylsma, PhD, has received a Distinguished Scientific Award for an Early Career Contribution to Psychophysiology from the Society for Psychophysiological Research (SPR). Dr. Bylsma received this prestigious award at the Society’s annual meeting in Washington, DC (September 25–29, 2019), where she also delivered the Early Career Award Address, “A...
Findings by Dr. Cecile Ladouceur et al. Indicate that Error-Related Negativity (ERN) Amplitude in Pediatric Anxiety Disorders Remains Elevated Following Treatment
Pediatric anxiety disorders begin in childhood or early adolescence and frequently lead to other psychiatric disorders in adulthood, including anxiety disorders and depression. Anxiety disorders are associated with an overactive action monitoring system, as indexed by a larger event-related potential named the error-related negativity (ERN). This leads researchers to hypothesize that it could represent a potential...
Hot Publication - Bylsma et al.
Juvenile onset depression alters cardiac autonomic balance in response to psychological and physical challengesBylsma LM, Yaroslavsky I, Rottenberg J, Jennings JR, George CJ, Kiss E, Kapornai K, Halas K, Dochnal R, Lefkovics E, Benák I, Baji I, Vetró A and Kovacs MBiological Psychology, 110:167-174, 2015Cardiac autonomic balance (CAB) indexes the ratio of parasympathetic to sympathetic activation, and is believed...
New Faculty - Lauren Bylsma, PhD
Lauren M. Bylsma, PhD Welcomed to Department of Psychiatry Faculty The Department of Psychiatry is pleased to welcome Lauren Bylsma, PhD to its faculty. Dr. Bylsma earned her BA in Psychology in 2003 and an MA in Liberal Arts in 2005 from the University of Pennsylvania. After working in for two years at Penn?s Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, she went on to obtain an MA (2008) and PhD (2012) in Clinical...