Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Williams DL, Siegel, M, Mazefsky CA. Problem behaviors in autism spectrum disorder: Its more than communication. J Autism Dev Disord;. Advance online publication. 2017 Jun. DOI: 10.1007/s10803-017-3179-0
- Mazefsky, C. A., Day, T. N., Siegel, M., White, S. W., Yu, L., & Pilkonis, P. A. (2016). Development of the Emotion Dysregulation Inventory: A PROMISing Method for Creating Sensitive and Unbiased Questionnaires for Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord. Advance online publication. 2016 Oct. DOI: DOI 10.1007/s10803-016-2907-1.
- Mazefsky, CA, Borue, X, Day, TN, & Minshew, N.J. Emotion regulation patterns in adolescents with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder: Comparison to typically developing adolescents and associations with psychopathology. Autism Res. 2014; 7 (3): 344-354.
- Mazefsky C.A., Herrington J, Siegel M, Scarpa A, Maddox B, Scahill L, White SW. The role of emotion regulation in autism spectrum disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013 Jul; 52(7):679-688.
- Mazefsky CA, Oswald DP, Day T, Eack S, Minshew NJ, Lainhart J. ASD, a psychiatric disorder, or both? Psychiatric diagnoses in adolescents with high-functioning ASD. J Clin Child Adoles Psychol. 2012;41(4):516-523.
Dr. Carla Mazefsky and Department Faculty Members Develop and Validate Sensitive Measure of Emotion Regulation in Autism Spectrum Disorder
Carla Mazefsky, PhD, along with Paul Pilkonis, PhD and other colleagues recently published an article, “The Emotion Dysregulation Inventory: Psychometric Properties and Item Response Theory Calibration in an Autism Spectrum Disorder Sample,” in Autism Research. Dr. Mazefsky answers some pertinent questions regarding the study below. 1. What was the goal of your research? Poor emotion regulation, defined as...
Carla Mazefsky, PhD Promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the Pitt School of Medicine
Congratulations to Dr. Carla Mazefsky on her promotion to the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Mazefsky is a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in autism spectrum disorders (ASD). After receiving a PhD in Clinical Psychology from the Virginia Commonwealth University, she obtained postdoctoral training at the Virginia Institute for Psychiatric...
First Time R01 Recipients Embark on New Phase of Their Careers
The receipt of a researcher's first R01 grant is an important milestone in their career as an independent scientist. Investigators in the Department of Psychiatry that transitioned from career development awards to their first R01 awards during the past year are embarking on the next phase of their academic careers and represent the diversity of research interests in the department. Susanne E. Ahmari, MD...
Emotion Regulation in Autistic Youth
The Role of Emotion Regulation in Autism Spectrum Disorder Mazefsky CA, Herrington J, Siegel M, Scarpa A, Maddox BB, Scahill L, White SW Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurodevelopmental condition characterized by impairments in social communication, restricted behavior and repetitive actions, and is estimated to affect 1 in 88 in school age children. The impairments associated with ASD affect one?s emotion...