Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- I.D. Zike, M.O. Chohan, J.M. Kopelman, E. Krasnow, D. Flicker, K.M. Nautiyal, M. Bubser, C. Kellendonk, C.K. Jones, G.D. Stanwood, K.F. Tanaka, H. Moore, S.E. Ahmari, J. Veenstra-VanderWeele. (2017) OCD candidate gene SLC1A1/EAAT3 impacts basal ganglia-mediated activity and stereotypic behavior. PNAS. 114: 5719-5724. PMID: 28507136.
- J. Wood and S.E. Ahmari. A framework for understanding the emerging role of corticolimbic-ventral striatal networks in OCD-associated repetitive behaviors. (2015) Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience. 9:171-83. PMID: 26733823.
- K.M. Nautiyal, K.F. Tanaka, M.M. Barr, L. Tritschler, Y.L. Dantec, D.J. David, A.M. Gardier, C. Blanco, R. Hen, and S.E. Ahmari. (2015) Distinct circuits underlie the effects of 5-HT1B receptors on aggression and impulsivity. Neuron. 86:813-826. PMID: 25892302.
- S.E. Ahmari, T. Eich, D. Cebenoyan, E.E. Smith, and H.B. Simpson. (2014) Assessing neurocognitive function in psychiatric disorders: a roadmap for enhancing consensus. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory. 115:10-20. PMID: 24994503.
- S.E. Ahmari, T. Spellman, N.L. Douglass, M.A. Kheirbek, H.B. Simpson, K. Deisseroth, J.A. Gordon, R. Hen. (2013) Repeated cortico-striatal stimulation generates persistent OCD-like behavior. Science. 340:1234-1239. PMID: 23744948.
Department of Psychiatry Provides Mentorship and Hands On Research Experience to Help Young Physician-Scientists Build Successful Careers in Psychiatric Neuroscience
Early exposure to cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences in laboratories is crucial to preparing the next generation of physician-scientists for successful careers in psychiatric neuroscience research. It also can lead to transformative discoveries that ultimately improve the lives of individuals with mental illness. The Department of Psychiatry is an international leader in helping young scientists learn...
Dr. Susanne Ahmari Receives One Mind Rising Star Award and Technology Grant to Investigate Brain Circuits Involved in Decision-Making
Susanne Ahmari, MD, PhD , Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, has been recognized by the One Mind organization for her groundbreaking research exploring the mechanisms of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). The honors were announced at the Scientific Symposium at the 24th Music Festival for Brain Health that took place September 15th in Rutherford, California. Dr. Ahmari was presented with the One Mind Rising Star...
Drs. Alexandre Dombrovski and Susanne Ahmari Elected to the American Society of Clinical Investigators
Alexandre Dombrovski, MD and Susanne E. Ahmari, MD, PhD have been elected to the membership of the American Society of Clinical Investigators (ASCI). The Society, one of the nation’s oldest and most respected medical honor societies, is comprised of young physician-scientists from all medical specialties. Members are elected for their outstanding records of scholarly achievement in biomedical research. Dr. Ahmari...
Department Faculty Members and Student Researcher Receive ACNP Travel Awards
The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) selected three faculty members (Drs. Jay Fournier , Danella Hafeman and Judith Morgan ) and a Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) student (Dr. Wonjae Chung) in the Department of Psychiatry to receive travel awards. ACNP annually selects distinguished young scientists in the field of neuropsychopharmacology to receive these awards, which offer an...