Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Diler RS, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Gill MK, Strober M, Kolko D, Goldstein T, Hunt J, Yang M, Ryan N, Dahl RE, Dorn LD, Keller M (2009). The Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) and the CBCL-Bipolar Phenotype are not useful in diagnosing Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 19:23-30, 2009. PMC2753490
- Diler RS, Almeida JR, Ladouceur CD, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML. Neural activity to positive versus negative stimuli can help differentiate bipolar disorder from unipolar major depressive disorder in depressed adolescents: A pilot fMRI study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 2013 Sep 27. PMC3856642
- Diler RS, Pan LA, Segreti AM, Ladouceur CD, Forbes E, Romero-Cela S, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML. Differential anterior cingulate activity during response inhibition in depressed adolescents with bipolar and unipolar major depressive disorder. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 23:10-19, 2014. PMC3917665
- Diler RS, Ladouceur CD, Segreti AM, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML, Pan L. Neural correlates of treatment response in depressed bipolar adolescents during emotion processing. Brain Imaging and Behavior 7: 227-235, 2013. PMID: 23355265
- Diler RS, Segreti AM, Ladouceur CD, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML, Pan L. Neural correlates of treatment in adolescents with bipolar depression during response inhibition. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 23: 214-221, 2013. PMC3678567
- Diler RS, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Obreja M, Monk K, Hickey MB, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Sakolsky D, Iyengar S, Brent D, and Kupfer D. Dimensional Psychopathology in Offspring of Parents with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders 13: 670-678, 2011. PMC4017915
- Diler RS. Goldstein TR, Hafeman D, Rooks BT, Sakolsky D, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Axelson D, Iyengar S, Birmaher B. Characteristics of depression among offspring at high and low familial risk of bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2017 Jun 14. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12508. PMID: 28612977
- Diler RS, Goldstein TR, Hafeman D1, Merranko J, Liao F, Goldstein B, Hower H, Gill MK, Hunt J, Yen S, Keller MB, Axelson D, Strober M, Iyengar S, Ryan ND, Birmaher B. Distinguishing Bipolar Depression from Unipolar Depression in Youth: Preliminary Findings. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 27:310-319, 2017. doi: 10.1089/cap.2016.0154. Epub 2017 Feb 28
- Diler RS, Uguz S, Seydaoglu G, Avci A. Mania profile in community sample of prepubertal children in Turkey. Bipolar Disorders 10:546-553, 2008
- Dickstein DP, Axelson D, Weissman AB, Yen S, Hunt JI, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Liao F, Gill MK, Hower H, Frazier TW, Diler RS, Youngstrom EA, Fristad MA, Arnold LE, Findling RL, Horwitz SM, Kowatch RA, Ryan ND, Strober M, Birmaher B, Keller MB. Cognitive flexibility and performance in children and adolescents with threshold and sub-threshold bipolar disorder.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Jun;25(6):625-38. doi: 10.1007/s00787-015-0769-2. Epub 2015 Oct 5. PMID:26438382
- Diler RS, Birmaher B. Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. In International E-Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Dr. Rey (Ed), by International Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professionals (IACAPAP) (chapter in the e-textbook; http://iacapap.org/wp-content/uploads/E.2-BIPOLAR-072012.pdf). Chapter #E2, 1-30, 2012/2017
- Diler RS. Early diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children and adolescent. Synergy by University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), CME Activity, 9, 2012. http://www.upmcphysicianresources.com/cme-course/upmc-synergies-fall-2012
- Diler RS (Editor). Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: A Global Perspective (international monograph). Nova Science Publications, NY. From the perspectives of America (North), Australia and New Zealand, Brazil, China, Japan, India, Italy, Israel, Spain, Russia, and Turkey, 2007 (book)
- Diler RS. Clinical Characteristics of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents. In: Figueira ML & Akiskal HS (eds), Clinical Aspects of Mania. Wolters Kluwer. Madrid, Spain. 63-82, 2009
- Goldstein BI, Sassi R, Diler RS. Pharmacologic treatment of bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 21(4): 911-39, 2012
Behavioral Health Experts, Patients & Families Gather for Child and Adolescent Bipolar Spectrum Services Conference
“It’s not like I don’t have problems anymore, but it’s manageable with my support system. There will be setbacks, but you have to trust the process. ” A young adult living with bipolar disorder opened the third Child and Adolescent Bipolar Spectrum Services (CABS) Conference , speaking to a diverse group of behavioral health professionals, as well as patients and their families, assembled to learn about early...
New Research in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Examines Family Functioning in Offspring of Bipolar Parents
For people living with bipolar disorder, challenging family relations can both result from and aggravate the disorder’s symptoms. Existing studies that examine the family environment of young people with familial risk for bipolar disorder have not distinguished whether stressors—such as high rates of conflict—are uniquely related to this disorder or are similarly experienced by families affected by other, non...
Now in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Sleep Disturbances & Increasing Psychiatric Symptoms in High-Risk Youth
Major psychiatric disorders often arise during childhood and adolescence, especially among children whose parents have a psychiatric illness. Sleep patterns also shift substantially during the transition from childhood to adolescence. Sleep disturbances, often associated with most forms of psychopathology, have been identified as a promising behavioral intervention target to help treat young people with psychiatric...
Bertocci et al. Use Machine Learning to Identify Neuroimaging Markers that Predict the Development of Bipolar Disorder Symptoms in High-Risk Children
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a highly heritable mental illness in which affected individuals experience alternating periods of mania and depression. For more than 15 years, Pitt Department of Psychiatry researchers have been conducting longitudinal assessments of families with BD aimed at identifying the earliest signs of the disorder. The latest analysis of this neuroimaging data, recently published in the journal...