Meryl A Butters, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Diniz, BS, Sibille, E, Ding, Y, Tseng,G, HJ, Lotrich,F, Becker,JT, Lopez, OL, Lotze,MT, Klunk,WE, Reynolds, CF, Butters MA. Plasma Biosignature and Brain Pathology related to Persistent Cognitive Impairment in Late-Life Depression. Mol Psych. 2015;May;20(5):594-601.
- Butters MA, Bhalla, RK, Andreescu, C, Wetherell, JL, Mantella, R, Begley, AE, Lenze, EJ. Changes in neuropsychological functioning following treatment for late-life Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Br J Psychiatry. 2011;199(3):211-218.
- Butters MA, Young JB, Lopez OL, Aizenstein HJ, Mulsant BH, Reynolds CF, DeKosky ST, Becker JT. Pathways linking late-life depression to persistent cognitive impairment and dementia. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2008;10(3):345-357.
- Butters MA, Whyte E, Nebes RD, Begley AE, Dew MA, Mulsant BH, Zmuda MD, Bhalla R, Meltzer CC, Pollock BG, Reynolds CF, Becker JT. The nature and determinants of neuropsychological functioning in late-life depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004;61(6);587-595.
- Butters MA, Becker JT, Nebes RD, Zmuda MD, Mulsant BH, Pollock BG, Reynolds, CF. Changes in cognitive functioning following treatment for late-life depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:1949-1954.
Meryl Butters, PhD, Wins Philip Troen, MD, Mentoring Award & Pitt Med Student Josh Krivinko Is Recognized for Excellence in Longitudinal Research
We are delighted to announce that Meryl Butters, PhD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Translational Science won the Philip Troen, MD, Excellence in Medical Student Research Mentoring Award at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine annual Scholars Day. This prestigious award is presented to a Longitudinal Research Project (LRP) mentor of a graduating Pitt Med student in recognition for outstanding...
Investigators in the Geriatric Psychiatry Neuroimaging Lab Publish First Study to Explore Cerebral Blood Flow Correlates of Worry Induction in Late Life
Published in Translational PsychiatrySevere worry arises from a complex blend of maladaptive affective and cognitive processes. Contrary to other forms of anxiety, there is no consensus in the field regarding the neural basis of worry. No previous study has looked at cerebral blood flow changes associated specifically with in-scanner induction and reappraisal of worry. In the first study of its kind, Department of...
Hot Publication - Karim et al.
Intrinsic functional connectivity in late-life depression: Trajectories over the course of pharmacotherapy in remitters and non-remittersKarim HT, Andreescu C, Tudorascu D, Smagula SF, Butters MA, Karp JF, Reynolds C and Aizenstein HJMolecular Psychiatry, Published online 2016Previous studies in late-life depression (LLD) have found that patients have altered intrinsic functional connectivity in the dorsal default...
Hot Publication - Reynolds and Colleagues
Predictors and Moderators of Remission With Aripiprazole Augmentation in Treatment-Resistant Late-Life Depression: An Analysis of the IRL-GRey Randomized Clinical TrialKaneriya SH, Robbins-Welty GA, Smagula SF, Karp JF, Butters MA, Lenze EJ, Mulsant BH, Blumberger D, Anderson SJ, Dew MA, Lotrich F, Aizenstein HJ, Diniz BS, and Reynolds CF 3rd.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016, 73(4):329-336Safe, efficacious, second-line...