Kenneth N Fish, PhD
Education & Training
- Alterations in a Unique Class of Cortical Chandelier Cell Axon Cartridges in Schizophrenia.Rocco BR, DeDionisio AM, Lewis DA, Fish KN.Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Jul 1;82(1):40-48. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2016.09.018. Epub 2016 Sep 29.PMID: 27884423
- Pathological Basis for Deficient Excitatory Drive to Cortical Parvalbumin Interneurons in Schizophrenia.Chung DW, Fish KN, Lewis DA.Am J Psychiatry. 2016 Nov 1;173(11):1131-1139. Epub 2016 Jul 22.PMID: 27444795
- Markedly Lower Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase 67 Protein Levels in a Subset of Boutons in Schizophrenia.Rocco BR, Lewis DA, Fish KN.Biol Psychiatry. 2016 Jun 15;79(12):1006-15. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2015.07.022. Epub 2015 Aug 7.PMID: 26364548
- GABA-Synthesizing Enzymes in Calbindin and Calretinin Neurons in Monkey Prefrontal Cortex.Rocco BR, Sweet RA, Lewis DA, Fish KN.Cereb Cortex. 2016 May;26(5):2191-2204. doi: 10.1093/cercor/bhv051. Epub 2015 Mar 30.PMID: 25824535
- Parvalbumin-containing chandelier and basket cell boutons have distinctive modes of maturation in monkey prefrontal cortex.Fish KN, Hoftman GD, Sheikh W, Kitchens M, Lewis DA.J Neurosci. 2013 May 8;33(19):8352-8. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0306-13.2013.PMID: 23658174
Now in The Journal of Neuroscience: Regional Differences among Pyramidal neurons in the Working Memory Cortical Network
Working memory, the ability to maintain a limited amount of information “in mind” to guide everyday thoughts and behaviors, is a core cognitive process. Its function depends on activity in a network of brain areas distributed across the cerebral cortex. Each of these areas display different patterns of activity while information is being maintained. These differences are correlated with, and might depend on,...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 19th Annual Research Day: A Day to Teach, Learn and Be Inspired
The 19th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 13, 2019 was our biggest yet! For the 505 faculty, postdoctoral students, residents, graduate students and staff who attended, the morning poster session and afternoon program offered a stimulating day of research and career development that was equal parts enlightenment, inspiration, fun and, at times, surprise. The morning session featured 140 posters...
Hot Publication - MacDonald et al.
Selective Loss of Smaller Spines in Schizophrenia MacDonald ML, Alhassan J, Newman JT, Richard M, Gu H, Kelly RM, Sampson AR, Fish KN, Penzes P, Wills ZP, Lewis DA and Sweet RA American Journal of Psychiatry, Published online 2017 Deceased density of dendritic spines in adult schizophrenia subjects has been hypothesized to result from increased pruning of excess synapses in adolescence. In vivo imaging studies have...
Hot Publication - Chung et al.
Developmental pruning of excitatory synaptic inputs to parvalbumin interneurons in monkey prefrontal cortex Chung DW, Wills ZP, Fish KN and Lewis DA Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2017, 114:E629-E637 Working memory requires efficient excitatory drive to parvalbumin-positive (PV) interneurons in the primate dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC). Developmental...