Katalin Szanto, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Szanto K, Galfalvy H, Kenneally L, Almasi R Dombrovski AY. (2020). Predictors of serious suicidal behavior in late-life depression. European Neuropsychopharmacology
- Szanto K, Galfalvy H, Vanyukov PM, Keilp JG & Dombrovski AY. (2018). Pathways to late-life suicidal behavior: Cluster analysis and predictive validation of suicidal behavior in a sample of older adults with major depression. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 79(2), 17m11611.
- Szanto K, de Bruin WB, Parker AM, Hallquist MN, Vanyukov PM & Dombrovski AY. (2015) Decision-making competence and attempted suicide. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. Dec ,76(12): 1-478. PMCID: PMC4697276.
- Szanto K, Clark L, Hallquist M, Vanyukov PM, Crockett M, Dombrovski AY. (2014). The cost of social punishment and high-lethality suicide attempts in the second half of life. Psychology and Aging. Mar; 21(1): 84-94. PMCID: PMC4051315
- Dombrovski AY, Clark L, Siegle GJ, Butters MA, Ichikawa N, Sahakian B, Szanto K. (2010). Reward/punishment reversal learning in older suicide attempters. American Journal of Psychiatry, 167:699-707, PMCID: PMC3020386
- Zhang K, Szanto K, Clark L, Dombrovski AY. (2019). Behavioral empathy failures and suicidal behavior. Behaviour Research and Therapy. 120, 103329.
- Szanto K, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Dew MA, Dombrovski A, Pollock BG & Reynolds CF III. (2007). Emergence, persistence, and resolution of suicidal ideation during treatment of depression in old age. Journal of Affective Disorders, 98(1-2):153-161,
- Szanto K, Kalmar S, Hendin H, Rihmer, Z, Mann JJ. (2007). A suicide prevention program in a very high suicide rate region. Archives of General Psychiatry, 64(6): 914-920. PMID: 17679636
- Szanto K, Shear K, Houck PR, Reynolds CF, Frank E, Caroff K & Silowash R. (2006). Indirect self- destructive behavior and overt suicidality in patients with complicated grief. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 67(2):233-239.
- Szanto K, Mulsant BH, Houck P, Dew MA, Reynolds CF III. (2003). Occurrence and course of suicidality during acute treatment of late-life depression. Archives of General Psychiatry, 60:610-617. PMID: 12796224
- Szucs A, Szanto K, Aubry J M & Dombrovski AY. (2018). Personality and suicidal behavior in old age: A systematic literature review. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 9, 128.
- Szanto K. (2017). Cognitive deficits: underappreciated contributors to suicide. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 25(6): 630-632.
- Szanto K, Lenze E, Waern M, Duberstein P, Bruce ML, Epstein-Lubow G & Conwell Y. (2013). Research to reduce the suicide rate among older adults: Methodology roadblocks and promising paradigms. Psychatric Services, PMC3742079
- Hendin H, Maltsberger T & Szanto K. (2008). The psychosocial context of the trauma in treating PTSD patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 165(1):28-32, PMID: 18178753
- Hendin H, Maltsberger JT, Haas Pollinger A, Rabinowitcz H & Szanto K. (2006). Problems in psychotherapy of suicidal patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 163(1):67-72. PMID: 16390891
Suicide Research in the Department of Psychiatry
At Pitt Psychiatry, our faculty members conduct cutting-edge research on topics related to suicide across the lifespan. In recognition of Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we offer a look at ongoing suicide research pertaining to children and adolescents, LGBT youth, and older adult populations. In addition, our scientists investigate topics including decision-making in suicide, the neurobiology of suicide, and...
Now in Neuropsychopharmacology: How Impulsivity and Disrupted Decision-Making Relate to Suicidal Behavior
Research has demonstrated that impaired decision-making is a key factor in the onset of suicidal behavior and can manifest as difficulty choosing between two similarly valued options or as impulsivity in decision-making. To better understand the potential relationship between decision-making and suicidal behavior, scientists have examined the neural underpinnings of each and found disrupted ventromedial prefrontal...
Impairment of Learning from Experience and Making Value-Based Choice in Suicidal Behavior
Suicidal behavior is often misunderstood as a strategic decision that follows a thorough evaluation of circumstances, alternative solutions and possible deterrents. Yet, clinicians know that those at-risk for suicide may not reliably assess the proportion of triggering circumstances relative to the impact of the suicidal act. Suicide can, at times, be especially difficult to understand because although it may...
Katalin Szanto, MD Promoted to Professor by Pitt School of Medicine
Katalin Szanto, MD focuses her research on the psychopathology, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior, particularly geriatric suicide. She conducted a psychological autopsy study, a successful suicide prevention program in primary care, and has extensive experience in interviewing practitioners who have lost patients by suicide. She founded the Longitudinal Research Program in Late-Life Suicide at the...