Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Rozel, John S., Abhishek Jain, Edward P. Mulvey, and Loren H. Roth. 2017. Psychiatric Assessment of Violence. In The Wiley Handbook of Violence and Aggression, edited by Peter Sturmey. Vol. 2. John Wiley & Sons.
- Rozel, John S., and Edward P. Mulvey. 2017. The Link between Mental Illness and Gun Violence: Implications for Social Policy. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 13 (1): 445-69. doi:10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-021815-093459.
- Rozel, John S., Keith R. Stowell, and Gregory D. Thorkelson. 2017. Diagnosis and Management of Agitation in Children and Adolescents. In The Diagnosis and Management of Agitation, edited by Scott Zeller, Kimberly Nordstrom, and Michael Wilson, 253-70. New York City: Cambridge University Press.
- Rozel, John. 2017. Helping Mentally Ill Victims of Violent Crime. Audio Digest Psychiatry 46 (05).
- Turturro, Michael, Leslie Zun, and Jack Rozel. 2017. An Innovative Strategy to Streamline Care for Behavioral Health in the Emergency Department. In Value and Quality Innovations in Acute and Emergency Care, edited by Jennifer L. Wiler, Jesse M. Pines, and Michael J. Ward, 68-81. Cambridge, United Kingdom?; New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Rozel, John S. 2016. Armed Law Enforcement in the Emergency Department: Risk Management Considerations. ABA Health ESource 13 (3). https://www.americanbar.org/publications/aba_health_esource/2016-2017/november2016/lawenforcement.html.
- Stowell, Keith R., Nolan P. Hughes, and John S. Rozel. 2016. Violence in the Emergency Department. Psychiatric Clinics of North America 39 (4): 557-66. doi:10.1016/j.psc.2016.07.003.
- Clinical Homicide and Aggression Management Practices for Inpatient, Outpatient and Non-traditional Settings (CHAMPIONS). Ongoing day-long training in advanced violence evaluation and management.
- Rozel, John. 2016. Malpractice Risk Assessment for Behavioral Emergencies. Audio Digest Psychiatry 45 (21).
Catch Up on the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Podcast, Psychiatry Advances
Psychiatry Advances, the Department of Psychiatry podcast launched earlier this year, presents innovative research and patient-centered programs at the cutting edge of psychiatry and the behavioral sciences. The host of Psychiatry Advances is Loren Roth, MD, MPH, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry. If you aren’t caught up with the latest, below are the episodes currently available to stream from the...
Pathways to Resilience: The CISM ASAP Intervention Program Supports Staff Who Have Experienced Adverse Workplace Events
Imagine a team that, despite its best efforts, has experienced a terrible patient outcome. Some of them may think, I just completely blew it. Maybe I’m not cut out for this. For those whose daily mission is to serve patients and families, often in stressful, high-pressure situations, access to compassionate support is critical to ensuring the continued ability to deliver high-quality patient care. At UPMC Western...
Seventh Annual Clinician Educator Showcase Highlights Innovations in Teaching, Clinical Care, and Program Development
The Department of Psychiatry and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) welcomed over 150 clinician educators, trainees and staff to WPSY on October 11, 2018 for the Seventh Annual Clinician Educator Showcase. The Showcase kicked off with a luncheon and interactive poster session that provided plenty of networking opportunities. Two members of our faculty were recognized for their outstanding service and many...
Dr. Jack Rozel Receives NAMI Exemplary Psychiatrist Award
Jack Rozel, MD, MSL, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, recently received a 2018 National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Exemplary Psychiatrist Award, which honors the exceptional contributions that psychiatrists make to improve the lives of people living with mental health conditions. Dr. Rozel has worked in emergency mental health for more than 20 years and is Medical Director of resolve Crisis Network at...