David A Brent, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Brent DA, Hur K, Gibbons RD. Association between parental medical claims for opioid prescriptions and risk of suicide attempt by their children. JAMA Psychiatry. 2019 May 22. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2019.0940. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31116357
- Brent DA, Melhem NM, Oquendo M, Burke A, Birmaher B, Stanley B, Biernesser C, Keilp J, Kolko D, Ellis S, Porta G, Zelazny J, Iyengar S, Mann JJ. Familial pathways to early-onset suicide attempt: a 5.6 year prospective study. JAMA Psychiatry. Feb 2015;72(2):160-168.
- Brent DA, Brunwasser SM, Hollon SD, Weersing VR, Clarke GN, Dickerson JF, Beardslee WR, Gladstone TR, Porta G, Lynch FL, Iyengar S, Garber J. Effect of a cognitive-behavioral prevention program on depression 6 years after implementation among at-risk adolescents: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psych. 2015;72(11):1110-1118.
- Brent D, Melhem N, Donohoe MB, Walker M. The incidence and course of depression in bereaved youth 21 months after the loss of a parent to suicide, accident, or sudden natural death. Am J Psychiatry. 2009;166:786-794.
- Brent D, Emslie G, Clarke G, Wagner KD, Asarnow JR, Keller M, Vitiello B, Ritz L, Iyengar S, Abebe K, Birmaher B, Ryan N, Kennard B, Hughes C, DeBar L, McCracken J, Strober M, Suddath R, Spirito A, Leonard H, Melhem N, Porta G, Onorato M, Zelazny J. Switching to another SSRI or to venlafaxine with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with SSRI-resistant depression: The TORDIA randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2008;299:901-913.
- Brent DA, Poling K. Cognitive Therapy Manual for Depressed and Suicidal Youth. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh; 1997.
- Poling K, Brent DA, Birmaher B. Understanding and Coping with Bipolar Illness: A Survival Manual for Families. Pittsburgh: WPIC; 1998.
- Kerr MM, Brent DA, McKain B, McCommons PS. Postvention Standards Manual - A Guide for a School's Response in the Aftermath of a Sudden Death. Pittsburgh:University of Pittsburgh; 2010.
- Brent DA, Poling K, Goldstein TR. Treating Depressed and Suicidal Adolescents: A Clinician's Guide New York: Guilford Press; 2011.
David Brent, MD, Honored by the Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Congratulations to David Brent, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Epidemiology, and Clinical and Translational Science and Endowed Chair in Suicide Studies), who has received the Eric Taylor Translational Research into Practice Award from the UK-based Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health. The award recognizes sustained contribution to translating research into practice and a...
Sleep Influences Daily Suicidal Ideation through Affective Reactivity to Interpersonal Events among High-risk Adolescents and Young Adults
Suicide is a major public health problem and the second leading cause of death among adolescents and young adults. Identifying risk factors for suicidal ideation that are modifiable and relevant, such as sleep disturbances and interpersonal stress, is critical for suicide prevention. A group of investigators including Jessica Hamilton, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychology, Rutgers University; former postdoctoral...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $16.2M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Addressing Adolescent Suicide, with Focus on Black and Hispanic Youth
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant renewal for Enhancing Triage and Utilization for Depression and Emergent Suicidality (ETUDES), led by David Brent, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Epidemiology, and Clinical and Translational Science, and Endowed Chair in Suicide Studies). The Center is co-led by Bruce Rollman, MD...