Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hafeman DM, Ostroff N, Feldman J, Hickey MB, Phillips ML, Creswell D, Birmaher B, Goldstein TR. Mindfulness-Based Intervention to Decrease Mood Lability in At-Risk Youth: Preliminary Evidence for Changes in Resting State Functional Connectivity. Journal of Affective Disorders. (In Press)
- Hafeman DM, Rooks B, Merranko J, Liao F, Gill MK, Goldstein TR, Diler R, Ryan N, Goldstein BI, Axelson DA, Strober M, Keller M, Hunt J, Hower H, Weinstock LM, Yen S, Birmaher B. Lithium Versus Other Mood Stabilizing Medications in a Longitudinal Study of Bipolar Youth. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. (In Press)
- Hafeman DM, Merranko J, Goldstein TR, Axelson D, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Iyengar S, Brent DA, Kupfer DJ, Kattan MW, Birmaher B. Assessment of a Person-Level Risk Calculator to Predict New-Onset Bipolar Spectrum Disorder in Youth at Familial Risk. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017.
- Hafeman D, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Fournier JC, Chase HW, Bonar L, Perlman SB, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. Amygdala-prefrontal cortical functional connectivity during implicit emotion processing differentiates youth with bipolar spectrum from youth with externalizing disorders. J Affect Disord. 2017;208:94-100.
- Hafeman DM, Merranko J, Axelson D, Goldstein BI, Goldstein T, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Iyengar S, Brent D, Kupfer D, Birmaher B. Toward the Definition of a Bipolar Prodrome: Dimensional Predictors of Bipolar Spectrum Disorders in At-Risk Youths. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2016;173(7):695-704.
Pitt Psychiatry News from the 2020 Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
“I think that everyone can agree that 2020 was not a traditional year. Following suit, ACNP 2020 was not a traditional meeting,” says Susanne Ahmari, MD, PhD, program chair for the 2020 American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meeting. “However, although it was not the meeting we expected to plan when I stepped into my term as program chair, it ended up being an incredible combination of old and...
The Association Between Mindfulness and Decreased Emotional Lability in Young People At-Risk for Bipolar Disorder
Young people who have parents or siblings with bipolar disorder are at higher risk for developing this disorder than are individuals without a family history. Among those high-risk youth, mood lability—rapid and frequent mood changes that can be disproportionate to current circumstances—is associated with psychosocial impairment and often predictive of future onset of bipolar disorder. A research team including...
Psychiatry Residents Present Innovative Research at the Third Annual Psychiatry Research Pathway Symposium
The Psychiatry Research Pathway (PRP) Symposium provides UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital residents engaged in research the opportunity to present their work to an audience of fellow residents, faculty mentors, and other members of our career development community. This year’s program included a talk from seven residents on their current and/or future research, followed by questions and feedback. Program Director...
Now in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Lithium and Improved Outcomes in Bipolar Youth
“I came to this research with a specific question inspired by recent literature showing that, in adults with bipolar disorder, lithium is superior to other mood stabilizers,” said Dr. Danella Hafeman, lead author on a recent study in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. “But there was not similar research around mood stabilizers in young people with bipolar disorder,” she added. Dr...