Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Andreescu C, Lee S. Anxiety disorders in the elderly. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2020;1191:561-576. PMID: 32002946.
- Andreescu C, Ajilore O, Aizenstein HJ, Albert K, Butters MA, Landman BA, Karim HT, Krafty R, Taylor WD. Disruption of neural homeostatis as a model of relapse and recurrence in late-life depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019 Dec;27(12):1316-1330.
- Inagaki TK, Hazlett LI, Andreescu C. Opioids and social bonding: Effect of naltrexone on feelings of social connection and ventral striatum activity to close others. J Exp Psychol Gen. 2020 Apr;149(4):732-745. doi: 10.1037/xge0000674. Epub 2019 Aug 15.PMID: 31414860
- Karim HT, Tudorascu DL, Walker S, Aizenstein JH, and Andreescu C. In the grip of worry cerebral blood flow changes during worry induction and reappraisal in late-life generalized anxiety disorder. Translational Psychiatry, 2017
- Andreescu C, Sheu LK, Tudorascu D, Gross JJ, Walker S, Banihashemi L, Aizenstein H. Emotion reactivity and regulation in late-life generalized anxiety disorder: Functional connectivity at baseline and post-treatment. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015
- Andreescu C, Varon D. New research on anxiety disorders in the elderly and an update on evidence-based treatments. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015
- Aizenstein HJ, Khalaf A, Walker SE, Andreescu C. Magnetic resonance imaging predictors of treatment response in late-life depression. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2014
- Andreescu C, Aizenstein H. MRI studies in late-life mood disorders. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2012
- Varon D, Andreescu C: Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment, in Kaplan & Sadocks Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 10th edition. Eds Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia Alcott Sadock, Pedro Ruiz; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2016.
- Andreescu C: Late-Life Anxiety Disorders, in Geriatric Psychiatry (Pittsburgh Pocket Psychiatry). Eds. Mark D. Miller, LalithKumar K.Solai. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. 2013
- Lenze EJ, Wetherell JL, Andreescu C: Anxiety Disorders, in Essentials of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2nd edition. Eds Dan G. Blazer, David C. Steffens, American Psychiatric Publishing Press, Arlington VA, 2012
- Andreescu C, Aizenstein HJ: Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment, in Kaplan & Sadocks Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th edition. Eds Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia Alcott Sadock, Pedro Ruiz; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2010
- Lenze EJ, Wetherell JL, Andreescu C: Anxiety Disorders in the Elderly, in American Psychiatric Association Textbook of Geriatric Neuropsychiatry, 3rd edition. American Psychiatric Publishing Inc., 2011
Study on Worry and Brain Connectivity in Older Adults Selected as Editor’s Choice in Journal of Affective Disorders
The paper described below was selected as a Journal of Affective Disorders Editor’s Choice. Is worry good for you? According to a study focused on anxiety in older adults, and published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, a moderate level of worry can enhance connectivity among brain regions involved in emotion regulation—while excessive worry yields the inverse effect. Generalized anxiety disorder is common in...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Carmen Andreescu, MD, to Tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Carmen Andreescu, MD, has been promoted to Tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Andreescu is an international thought leader on the clinical treatment of late-life anxiety. Her research focuses on the affective and cognitive neuroscience of late-life anxiety and depression and she has pioneered a unique neurocognitive and...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 19th Annual Research Day: A Day to Teach, Learn and Be Inspired
The 19th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 13, 2019 was our biggest yet! For the 505 faculty, postdoctoral students, residents, graduate students and staff who attended, the morning poster session and afternoon program offered a stimulating day of research and career development that was equal parts enlightenment, inspiration, fun and, at times, surprise. The morning session featured 140 posters...
Carmen Andreescu, MD Appointed Associate Professor by Pitt School of Medicine
Carmen Andreescu, MD is an internationally recognized expert on the affective neuroscience of late-life mood and anxiety disorders. Her study of the functional and structural neural circuity of emotion dysregulation in generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) led her pursue a novel set of hypotheses regarding severe worry as a central feature and organizing concept in research on the neurobiology of GAD. The development...