Education & Training
- Conner CM, Golt J, Shaffer R, Righi G, Siegel M, Mazefsky CA. Emotion dysregulation is substantially elevated in autism compared to the general population: Impact on psychiatric services. Autism Res. 2021 Jan; 14:169-181. doi: 10.1002/aur.2450. PMID: 33815651.
- Conner CM, White SW, Scahill L, Mazefsky CA. The role of emotion regulation in the experience of anxiety in autism. Autism, Special Issue on Mental Health Across the Lifespan. 2020 May; 24(4): 931-940. doi: 10.1177/1362361320904217. PMID: 32050774.
- Beck KB, Conner CM, Breitenfeldt KE, Northrup JB, White SW, Mazefsky CA. Assessment and Treatment of Emotion Regulation Impairment in Autism Spectrum Disorder Across the Lifespan: Current State of the Science and Future Directions. Child Adolesc. Psychiatr. Clin N Am. 2020 Jul; 29(3):527-542. doi: 10.1016/j.chc.2020.02.003. PMID: 32471600.
- Conner CM, Golt J, Righi G, Shaffer R, Siegel M, Mazefsky CA. A comparative study of suicidality and its association with emotion regulation impairment in large ASD and US census-matched samples. J Autism Dev Disord. 2020 Oct; 50(10):3545-3560. doi: 10.1007/s10803-020-04370-1. PMID: 31939083.
- Conner CM, White SW, Beck KB, Golt J, Smith IC, Mazefsky CA. Improving emotion regulation ability in autism: The Emotion Awareness and Skills Enhancement (EASE) program. Autism. 2019 Jul; 23(5):1273-1287. doi:10.1177/1362361318810709. PMID: 30400749.
- Beck KB, Conner CM, White SW, Mazefsky CA. Mindfulness 'Here and Now': Strategies for Helping Adolescents with Autism. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry. 2020 Oct.; 59 (10): 1125-1127. doi: 10.1016/j.jaac.2020.07.004. PMID: 32981632
- White SW, Conner CM, Beck KB, Mazefsky CA. Clinical Update: the Implementation of Evidence-Based Emotion Regulation Treatment for Youth with Autism. Evid Based Pract Child Adolesc Ment Health. 2021 Jan.; 6(1): 1-10. doi:10.1080/23794925.2020.1796551
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
Now in Autism Research: Elevated Emotion Dysregulation in Autism Compared to the General Population
Children and adolescents with autism are nine times more likely than peers without autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to require emergency room visits for psychiatric reasons, and twelve times more likely to require psychiatric hospitalization by age 21. Additionally, research suggests that poor emotion regulation is associated with a higher likelihood of co-occurring psychiatric disorders. The Emotion Dysregulation...
The Department of Psychiatry Welcomes Caitlin Conner, PhD, Lisa Mengwall-Weinstock, MD, and Maggie Whelan, MD, PhD, to the Faculty
The Department of Psychiatry is delighted to announce that Caitlin Conner, PhD, Lisa Mengwall-Weinstock, MD, and Maggie Whelan, MD, PhD, have joined our faculty. Caitlin Conner, PhD After completing a clinical internship at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, Dr. Conner earned her PhD in clinical science from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 2017. She then joined the University of...