Zachary Z Freyberg, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Buck SA, Steinkellner T, Aslanoglou D, Villeneuve M, Bhatte SH, Childers VC, Rubin SA, De Miranda BR, OLeary EI, Neureiter EG, Fogle KJ, Palladino MJ, Logan RW, Glausier JR, Fish KN, Lewis DA, Greenamyre JT, McCabe BD, Cheetham CEJ, Hnasko TS, Freyberg Z. Vesicular glutamate transporter modulates sex differences in dopamine neuron vulnerability to age-related neurodegeneration. Aging Cell 2021; 20(5):e13365. doi: 10.1111/acel.13365. PubMed PMID: 33909313.
- Aslanoglou D, Bertera S, Sanchez-Soto M, Free RB, Lee J, Zong W, Xue X, Shrestha S, Brissova M, Logan RW, Wollheim C, Trucco M, Yechoor V, Sibley D, Bottino R, Freyberg Z. Dopamine regulates pancreatic glucagon and insulin secretion via adrenergic and dopaminergic receptors. Translational Psychiatry 2021; 11(1):59. doi:10.1038/s41398-020-01171-z. PubMed PMID: 33589583.
- Carter SD, Hampton CM, Langlois R, Melero R, Farino ZJ, Li W, Calderon MJ, Wallace CT, Tran NH, Grassucci RA, Siegmund SE, Pemberton J, Morgenstern TJ, Aguilar JI, Greenberg NL, Levy ES, Yi E, Mitchell WG, Rice WJ, Wigge C, Pilli J, George EW, Aslanoglou D, Courel M, Freyberg RJ, Javitch JA, Area-Gomez E, Shiva S, Bartolini F, Volchuk A, Murray SA, Aridor M, Fish KN, Walter P, Balla T, Fass D, Wolf SG, Watkins SC, Carazo JM, Jensen GJ, Frank J, Freyberg Z. Ribosome-Associated Vesicles: a dynamic vesicular endoplasmic reticulum in secretory cells. Science Advances 2020; 6(14):eaay9572. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aay9572. PubMed PMID: 32270040.
- Aguilar JI, Dunn M, Mingote S, Karam CS, Farino ZJ, Sonders MS, Choi SJ, Grygoruk A, Zhang Y, Cela C, Choi BJ, Flores J, Freyberg RJ, McCabe BD, Mosharov EV, Krantz DE, Javitch JA, Sulzer D, Sames D, Rayport S, Freyberg Z. Neuronal depolarization drives increased dopamine synaptic vesicle loading via VGLUT. Neuron 2017; 95(5):1074-1088. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2017.07.038. PubMed PMID: 28823729.
- Freyberg Z, Sonders MS, Aguilar JI, Hiranita T, Karam CS, Flores J, Pizzo AB, Zhang Y, Farino ZJ, Chen A, Martin CA, Kopajtic TA, Fei H, Hu G, Lin YY, Mosharov EV, McCabe BD, Freyberg R, Wimalasena K, Hsin LW, Sames D, Krantz DE, Katz JL, Sulzer D, Javitch JA. Mechanisms of amphetamine action illuminated through in vivo optical monitoring of dopamine synaptic vesicles. Nature Communications 2016 Feb 16; 7:10652 doi: 10.1038/ncomms10652. PubMed PMID: 26879809.
- Freyberg R, Chung CK, Freyberg, Z, Barnhill J, Ferrando S, Pennebaker, JW. The Write Stuff: Relationships between narrative content and psychiatric illness. Narrative Inquiry 2014; 24: 28-39.
- Freyberg Z, Ferrando SJ, Javitch JA. Roles of the Akt/GSK-3 and Wnt signaling pathways in schizophrenia and antipsychotic drug action. Am J Psychiatry 2010 Apr; 167(4): 388-396. PubMed PMID: 19917593.
- APA Work Group on Alzheimer's Disease and other Dementias, Rabins PV, Blacker D, Rovner BW, Rummans T, Schneider LS, Tariot PN, Blass DM; Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines, McIntyre JS, Charles SC, Anzia DJ, Cook IA, Finnerty MT, Johnson BR, Nininger JE, Schneidman B, Summergrad P, Woods SM, Berger J, Cross CD, Brandt HA, Margolis PM, Shemo JP, Blinder BJ, Duncan DL, Barnovitz MA, Carino AJ, Freyberg Z, Gray SH, Tonnu T, Kunkle R, Albert AB, Craig TJ, Regier DA, Fochtmann LJ. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Second edition. Am J Psychiatry 2007 Dec; 164 (12 Suppl): 5-56. PubMed PMID: 18340692.
- Ferrando SJ, Freyberg Z. Treatment of depression in HIV positive individuals: a critical review. Int Rev Psychiatry 2008 Feb; 20(1): 61-71. PubMed PMID: 18240063.
- Floyd S, Butler MH, Cremona O, David C, Freyberg Z, Zhang X, Solimena M, Tokunaga A, Ishizu H, Tsutsui K, De Camilli P. Expression of amphiphysin I, an autoantigen of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes, in breast cancer. Mol Med. 1998 Jan; 4(1): 29-39. PubMed PMID: 9513187.
- Freyberg R, Freyberg Z. Behavioral and Social Sciences. in: Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z, Savitz A. Schizophrenia. in Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z. Schizophrenia and Violence. in: Barnhill J, (ed.), Approaching the Psychiatric Patient 1st Edition 2008. APA Press, Washington, D.C.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Zachary Freyberg, MD, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Zachary Freyberg, MD, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Freyberg received his MD, and his PhD in Developmental & Molecular Biology from Albert Einstein College of Medicine. At New York Presbyterian Hospital, he completed his internship in internal medicine, neurology, and psychiatry, and residency in...
Mindscapes PGH Art Exhibition: Merging Art and Science to Promote Community Awareness of Mental Illness
The annual Mindscapes PGH art exhibition merges art and science to promote community awareness of mental illness, and raise funds for local organizations that provide services for individuals with mental illness. Mindscapes 2022 was a hybrid event, with an online sale and an in-person reception at Imagebox gallery in Pittsburgh. The exhibition was organized by Rebecca A. DeGiosio (University of Pittsburgh Center...
Danella Hafeman, MD, PhD, & Zachary Freyberg, MD, PhD, to Lead the Psychiatry Research Pathway
Congratulations to Danella Hafeman, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), who has been named director of the Department’s Psychiatry Research Pathway (PRP) for residents. Dr. Hafeman succeeds David Volk, MD, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), who has provided outstanding leadership of the program since 2012. In addition, we are pleased to announce that Zachary Freyberg, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor of...
Zachary Freyberg Named a Member of The American Society for Clinical Investigation
Congratulations to Zach Freyberg, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), who has been elected a member of The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)! Founded in 1908, the ASCI is one of the oldest and most esteemed nonprofit honor societies of physician-scientists. The Society is dedicated to the advancement of research that extends our understanding and improves the treatment of diseases of all...