Mary L Phillips, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Chase HW, Fournier JC, Bertocci M, Greenberg T, Aslam H, Stiffler R, Lockovich J, Graur S, Bebko G, Forbes EE, Phillips ML (2017). A pathway linking reward circuitry, impulsive sensation seeking and risky decision making in young adults: identifying neural markers for new interventions. Translational Psychiatry 7: e1096. doi: 10.1038/tp.2017.60 [PMID: 28418404] PMCID in process
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Versace A, Fournier J, Iyengar S, Olino T, Bonar L, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Forbes E, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML (2016). Predicting clinical outcome from reward circuitry function and white matter structure in youth. Molecular Psychiatry. doi: 10.1038/mp.2016.5. [Epub ahead of print] [PMCID: PMC4993633]
- Versace A, Acuff H, Bertocci M, Bebko G, Almeida JCR, Perlman S, Leemans A, Schirda C, Aslam H, Dwojak A, Bonar L, Travis MJ, Gill MK, Demeter C, Diwadkar V, Sunshine J, Holland S, Kowatch R, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz S, Frazier T, Arnold LE, Fristad M, Youngstrom E, Findling R, Phillips ML. (2015). White Matter Structure in Youth with Behavioral and Emotional Dysregulation Disorders: A Probabilistic Tractographic Study. JAMA Psychiatry 72(2):367-76. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.2170. [PMCID: PMC4415624].
- Phillips ML, Swartz HA (2014). A critical appraisal of neuroimaging studies of bipolar disorder: toward a new conceptualization of underlying neural circuitry and roadmap for future research. American Journal of Psychiatry 171:829-843. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.2014.13081008 [PMCID: PMC4119497]
- Phillips ML, Kupfer DJ (2013). Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis: Challenges and Future Directions. The Lancet 381:1683-71. [PMID 23663952]
Daniel Buysse, MD, Beatriz Luna, PhD, and Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), Honored with Distinguished Professorships
We are delighted to announce that Daniel Buysse, MD, Beatriz Luna, PhD, and Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), have each been appointed Distinguished Professor by the University of Pittsburgh. A distinguished professorship constitutes the highest honor that the University can accord a member of the professoriate. Daniel Buysse, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and UPMC Endowed Chair in Sleep Medicine) Dr...
New Research on Parenting and Early Childhood Mental Health
Biological Psychiatry: Patterns of Infant Amygdala Connectivity Mediate the Impact of High Caregiver Affect on Reducing Infant Smiling: Discovery and Replication Research has shown that during a baby’s first months of life, mood disorders and emotional instability in caregivers are associated with lower positive emotionality (smiling, laughter, high pleasure) and higher negative emotionality (frequent crying...
Biological Psychiatry and Journal of Affective Disorders Research in Mood and/or Bipolar Disorders in Adolescence
New research from Pitt Psychiatry investigators provides insight into the development of anxiety, depression, and/or bipolar in adolescence. A Biological Psychiatry study examines the association between trauma exposure, reward neural circuitry function, and affective and anxiety disorders. In the Journal of Affective Disorders, investigators study whether child maltreatment and cognitive function influence the...
Publications by Department of Psychiatry Faculty Rank Among the Top 1% of Cited Works in 2020
We are pleased to share that three Pitt Psychiatry faculty members have been named 2020 Clarivate Highly Cited Researchers, based on their publications ranking in the top 1% by citations for field and year in the Web of Science. Congratulations to David Lewis, MD (Distinguished Professor and Chair of Psychiatry); Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab) (Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders...