Education & Training
- Wilkening, G. L., Gannon, J. M., Ross, C., Brennan, J. L., Fabian, T. J., Marcsisin, M. J., & Benedict, N. J. (2016). Evaluation of Branched-Narrative Virtual Patients for Interprofessional Education of Psychiatry Residents. Academic Psychiatry, 1-5.
- Forrest, P. E., Brinson, A. J., Gannon, J. M., George, T. P., Perkins, K. A., & Chengappa, K. N. R. (2015). An Association Between the Use of Hypnotics and Quit Status in the Treatment of Nicotine Dependence With Varenicline in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 35(2), 199-200.
- Gannon, J. M., Forrest, P. E., & Chengappa, K. R. (2014). Subtle changes in thyroid indices during a placebo-controlled study of an extract of Withania somnifera in persons with bipolar disorder. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 5(4), 241.
- Chengappa KN, Gannon JM, Acharya L, Rai A (2017). The Potential Utility of Ashwagandha for Improving Cognitive Dysfunction in Persons with Bipolar or Other Neurocognitive Disorders. In: Kaul S, Wadhwa R, editors. Science of Ashwagandha: Preventive and Therapeutic Potential. Springer International Publishing.
- Marcsisin, M. J., Rosenstock, J. B., & Gannon, J. M. (2016). Schizophrenia and Related Disorders. Oxford University Press.
A Unique Approach to Lifespan Diagnosis: The Psychological Autopsy
Many Pitt Psychiatry scientists use postmortem human brain tissue to identify neural alterations associated with mental disorders to guide the development of novel treatments. They do so with confidence that a team of psychologists and psychiatrists have systematically validated the diagnoses of each donor subject. This lifespan review is an uniquely intensive version of a process known as the “psychological...
Meet UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital’s Ambulatory & Consultation Leadership: Drs. Gannon, Glance, Gopalan, Perez and Schlesinger
UPMC is dedicated to providing access to care for individuals across western Pennsylvania. Below, meet the leaders who oversee UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH)’s more than 85 ambulatory programs and consultation services. Jessica Gannon, MD Dr. Gannon is Medical Director, Ambulatory Comprehensive Recovery Services (CRS), which provides comprehensive specialized services to adults with schizophrenia...
“My Beloved Dr. Gannon” – Congratulations to ACES Award Honoree Jessica Gannon, MD
The Department of Psychiatry congratulates Jessica Gannon, MD, who has received a 2019 UPMC ACES award. This prestigious award, received by fewer than 1% of UPMC staff annually, honors individuals who regularly go above and beyond. Dr. Gannon is medical director for Ambulatory Comprehensive Recovery Services (CRS) and was nominated for an ACES award by the therapists who work with her at the CRS Ambulatory Clinic...
Chengappa et al. Find Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Withania Somnifera Help to Reduce Stress and Improve Psychopathology in Patients with Exacerbated Schizophrenia Symptoms
Antipsychotic drugs are effective for psychotic symptoms but of limited utility for negative symptoms and general psychopathology (e.g., depression, anxiety, stress). Some patients with schizophrenia are thought to experience an exacerbation of symptoms caused by an imbalance of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines and elevated levels of inflammatory proteins. These immune-inflammatory alterations may adversely...