Gretchen L Haas, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Horton, L.E., Bridgwater, M.A., Haas, G. L. Emotion recognition and social skills in child and adolescent offspring of parents with schizophrenia. Cogn Neuropsychiatry. In press.
- Horton LE, Smith AA, Haas GL. The nature and timing of social deficits in child and adolescent offspring of parents with schizophrenia: Preliminary evidence for precursors of negative symptoms. Schizophr Res 2014 Oct;159(1):27-30. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2014.07.007. Epub 2014 Aug 10. PMID: 25112161. PMCID: PMC4243614
- Tarbox, S. I., L. H. Brown, L.H., Haas, G.L. Diagnostic specificity of poor premorbid adjustment: Comparison of schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and mood disorder with psychotic features. Schizophr Res, 2012 Oct 141(1): 91-7. PMID: 22858353; PMCID: PMC3438358
- Haas GL, Garratt LS, Sweeney JA: Delay to first antipsychotic medication in schizophrenia: Impact on symptomatology and clinical course of illness. J Psychiatr Res May-Aug 1998, 32(3-4):151-9. PMID: 9793868.
- Haas GL, Sweeney JA: Premorbid and onset features of first-episode schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1992, 18(3):373-86. PMID: 1411328
- Kasckow, J., Appelt, C., Haas, G., Huegel, S., Fox, L., Gurklis, J. & Daley, D. Development of a recovery manual for suicidal patients with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res, 130(1-3): 287-288,2011. PMID: 21601429
- Rubin LH, Haas GL, Keshavan MS, Sweeney JA, Maki PM. Sex difference in cognitive response to antipsychotic treatment in frist-episode schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharm, 33(2):290-7, 2008 Jan. PMID: 17392734; PMCID: PMC4394734; NIHMSID: NIHMS478562
- Haas, GL: Psychotherapeutic interventions for recent-onset schizophrenia: A review and guidelines. Prim Care Companion to J Clin Psychiatry Dec 2000, 7(12):63-8.
- Haas GL, Glick ID, Clarkin JF, Spencer JH, Lewis AB: Gender and schizophrenia outcome: a clinical trial of an inpatient family intervention. Schizophr Bull 1990, 16(2):277-92. PMID: 2197716
- Haas GL, Glick ID, Clarkin JF, Spencer JH, Lewis AB, Peyser J, DeMane N, Good-Ellis M, Harris E, Lestelle V: Inpatient family intervention: a randomized clinical trial. II. Results at hospital discharge. Arch Gen Psychiatry Mar 1988, 45(3):217-24. PMID: 3277578.
A Unique Approach to Lifespan Diagnosis: The Psychological Autopsy
Many Pitt Psychiatry scientists use postmortem human brain tissue to identify neural alterations associated with mental disorders to guide the development of novel treatments. They do so with confidence that a team of psychologists and psychiatrists have systematically validated the diagnoses of each donor subject. This lifespan review is an uniquely intensive version of a process known as the “psychological...
New from Pitt Psychiatry: Improved Understanding of Neural Mechanisms Associated with Duration of Untreated Psychosis
Many patients experiencing first-episode psychosis don’t receive medical care until they have endured psychotic symptoms for an extended period, which is referred to as duration of untreated psychosis (DUP). Such long periods of untreated psychosis—the average length is 74 weeks—are associated with poorer clinical outcomes, creating an urgent need to improve the means to reduce DUP. An important step toward this...