Education & Training
- Sarpal DK, Robinson DG, Fales C, Lencz T, Argyelan M, Karlsgodt KH, Gallego JA, John M, Kane JM, Szeszko PR, Malhotra AK (2017). Relationship between Duration of Untreated Psychosis and Intrinsic Corticostriatal Connectivity in Patients with Early Phase Schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. Apr 5. doi: 10.1038/npp.2017.55.
- Sarpal DK, Argyelan M, Robinson DG, Szeszko PR, Karlsgodt KH, John M, Weissman N, GallegoJA, Kane JM, Lencz T, Malhotra AK (2016). Baseline Striatal Functional, Connectivity as aPredictor of Response to Antipsychotic Drug Treatment. The American Journal of Psychiatry 173; 69- 77.
- Sarpal DK, Robinson D, Lencz T, Argyelan M, Ikuta T, Karlsgodt K, Gallego JA, KaneJM, Szeszko PR, Malhotra AK (2015). Antipsychotic Treatment and Functional Connectivity of the Striatum in First-Episode Schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry 72: 5.
- Eisenberg D, Sarpal D, Kohn PD, Meyer-Lindenberg A, Apud J, Wint D, Kolachana B, Weinberger DR, Berman KF (2010). Catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met Genotype and Resting Regional Cerebral Blood Flow in Medication-Free Patients with Schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry 67:287-290.
- Sarpal D, Buchsbaum BR, Kohn PD, Kippenhan JS, Mervis CB, Morris CA, Meyer Lindenberg A, Berman KF (2008). A genetic model for understanding higher-ordervisual processing: functional interactions of the ventral visual stream in Williams syndrome. Cerebral Cortex 18: 2402-2409.
Three studies are featured below as Pitt Psychiatry “game changers” for their contributions to research on visualizing the human brain. Longitudinal Changes in Brain Activation during Anticipation of Monetary Loss in Bipolar Disorder Investigators including Anna Manelis, PhD, and Mary Phillips, MD, have, for the first time, examined longitudinal changes in brain activation during win and loss anticipation to...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 19th Annual Research Day: A Day to Teach, Learn and Be Inspired
The 19th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 13, 2019 was our biggest yet! For the 505 faculty, postdoctoral students, residents, graduate students and staff who attended, the morning poster session and afternoon program offered a stimulating day of research and career development that was equal parts enlightenment, inspiration, fun and, at times, surprise. The morning session featured 140 posters...
New from Pitt Psychiatry: Improved Understanding of Neural Mechanisms Associated with Duration of Untreated Psychosis
Many patients experiencing first-episode psychosis don’t receive medical care until they have endured psychotic symptoms for an extended period, which is referred to as duration of untreated psychosis (DUP). Such long periods of untreated psychosis—the average length is 74 weeks—are associated with poorer clinical outcomes, creating an urgent need to improve the means to reduce DUP. An important step toward this...
Department of Psychiatry Faculty Receive 2018 ACNP Travel Awards & Are Elected as ACNP Members
Congratulations are in order for Drs. Marianne Seney, Ryan Logan, and Deepak Sarpal (pictured above), who received travel awards to attend the annual meeting of The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP). In addition, Konasale M. Prasad, MD, MBBS was elected as a member of ACNP, and Rebecca Price, PhD, was elected as an associate member. The ACNP Annual Meeting, which was held on December 9–13, 2018 in...