Education & Training
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Varon D, Barker W, Loewenstein D, Greig M, Bohorquez A, Santos I, Shen Q, Harper M, Vallejo-Luces T, Duara R; Visual rating and volumetric measurement of medial temporal atrophy in the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) cohort: baseline diagnosis and the prediction of MCI outcome. Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015 Feb;30(2):192-200.
- Duara R, Loewenstein DA, Shen Q, Barker W, Varon D, Greig MT, Curiel R, Agron J, Santos I, Potter H. The utility of age-specific cut-offs for visual rating of medial temporal atrophy in classifying Alzheimer's disease, MCI and cognitively normal elderly subjects. Front Aging Neurosci. 2013 Sep 18;5:47.
- Loewenstein DA, Greig MT, Schinka JA, Barker W, Shen Q, Potter E, Raj A, Brooks L, Varon D, Schoenberg M, Banko J, Potter H, Duara R. An investigation of PreMCI: Subtypes and longitudinal outcomes. Alzheimers Dement. 2012 May;8(3):172-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jalz.2011.03.002.
- Duara R, Loewenstein DA, Shen Q, Barker W, Potter E, Varon D, Heurlin K, Vandenberghe R, Buckley C. Amyloid positron emission tomography with (18)F-flutemetamol and structural magnetic resonance imaging in the classification of mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers Dement. 2012 Nov 22.doi:pii: S1552-5260(12)00025-8.
- Varon D, Loewenstein DA, Potter E, Greig MT et al. Minimal Atrophy of the Entorhinal Cortex and Hippocampus: Progression of Cognitive Impairment. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2011;31(4):276-83.
- Andreescu C, Varon D. Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Editors: Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia A. Sadock, Pedro Ruiz. Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. Philadelphia :Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2017.
- Andreescu C, Varon D. New research on anxiety disorders in the elderly and an update on evidence-based treatments. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015 Jul;17(7):53.
- Duara R, Loewenstein DA, Wright C, Crocco E, Varon D. Mild Cognitive Impairment. Quinn JF Editor. Dementia. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2014: 75-95.Duara R, Loewenstein DA, Wright C, Crocco E, Varon D. Mild Cognitive Impairment. Quinn JF Editor. Dementia. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2014: 75-95.
Congratulations to the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Resident and Fellow Class of 2020!
This year the Department of Psychiatry held our first-ever virtual UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) resident and fellow graduation—a festive and moving online event, hosted by Michael Travis, MD (Senior Director for Postgraduate Physician Training), celebrating the myriad accomplishments of this year’s graduating class. The themes of community and family, as well as the outstanding care delivered during the...
Psychiatry Faculty Honored for Excellence in Education at the Pitt School of Medicine Annual Curriculum Colloquium
Congratulations to Joseph Pierri, MD, Neeta Shenai, MD, and Daniel Varon, MD, who have been honored for excellence in education at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine annual Curriculum Colloquium. The event recognizes outstanding faculty contributions to medical education through classroom and clinical teaching, mentoring and innovation. Faculty and students submit nominations for the awards, and...
Congratulations to the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Resident and Fellow Class of 2019!
Please join us in congratulating the 2019 graduates of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) Residency and Clinical Fellowship programs. At the graduation ceremony on June 14, 2019, residents, fellows, and their families and friends celebrated the achievement of this important milestone in medical training. Additionally, several residents received awards in recognition of their accomplishments in medical...