Education & Training
- Szanto, K., Galfalvy, H., Kenneally, L., Almasi, R., Dombrovski, A.Y. Predictors of serious suicidal behavior in late-life depression. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 2020, 0Volume 40, 85-98.
- Dombrovski AY*, Hallquist MN, Brown VM, Wilson J, Szanto K. Value-based choice, contingency learning, and suicidal behavior in mid- and late-life depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2019 Mar 15;85(6):506516. PMCID: PMC6380943
- Chase HW, Kumar P, Eickhoff S, Dombrovski AY. Reinforcement learning models and their neural correlates: an activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis. Cognitive, Affective and Behavioral Neuroscience, 2015 Jun;15(2):435459. PMCID: PMC4437864.
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K., Clark L, Reynolds 3rd CF, Siegle, GJ. Reward signals, impulsivity, and attempted suicide in late-life depression. JAMA Psychiatry, 2013 Aug 7
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K, Siegle GJ, Wallace ML, Forman SD, Sahakian B, Reynolds CF 3rd, Clark L. Lethal forethought: delayed reward discounting differentiates high- and low-lethality suicide attempts in old age. Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Jul;70(2):138-144.
- Dombrovski AY, Cyranowski JM, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Buysse DJ, Andreescu C, Thase ME, Mallinger AG, Frank E. Which symptoms predict recurrence of depression in women treated with maintenance interpersonal psychotherapy? Depress Anxiety 2008;25(12):1060-1066
- Dombrovski AY, Lenze EJ, Dew MA, Mulsant BH, Pollock BG, Houck PR, Reynolds CF. Maintenance treatment for old-age depression preserves health-related quality of life: a randomized controlled trial of paroxetine and interpersonal psychotherapy. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Sep;55(9):1325-1332.
- Dombrovski AY, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Mazumdar S, Lenze EJ, Andreescu C, Cyranowski JM, Reynolds CF. Residual symptoms and recurrence during maintenance treatment of late-life depression. J Affect Disord. 2007 Nov;103(1-3):77-82
- Dombrovski AY, Blakesley-Ball RE, Mulsant BH, Mazumdar S, Houck PR, Szanto K, Reynolds, CF. Speed of improvement in sleep disturbance and anxiety compared to core mood symptoms during acute treatment of depression in old age. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006 Jun;14(6):550-554
- Dombrovski AY, Mulsant BH, Haskett RF, Prudic J, Begley A, Sackeim H. Predictors of remission after ECT in unipolar major depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005 Aug;66(8):1043-1049.
- Dombrovski AY, Hallquist MN. The Decision Neuroscience Perspective on Suicidal Behavior: Evidence and Hypotheses. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, October 14, 2016.
- Dombrovski AY, Mulsant BH. ECT: the preferred treatment for severe depression in late life. International Psychogeriatrics 19(1):10-14, Published online by Cambridge University Press 13 Dec 2006.
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K. Prevention of suicide in the elderly. Annals of Long-Term Care: Clinical Care and Aging; 13(11), 2005
- Dombrovski AY, Rosenstock J. Bridging general medicine and psychiatry: providing general medical and preventive care for the severely mentally ill. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 17(6):523-529, November 2004.
Now in Nature Communications: New Findings Help Resolve the Explore–Exploit Dilemma
In a recent study published in Nature Communications, a team of scientists asked, When making decisions, how does one decide whether to exploit known good options or explore potentially better alternatives? While scientists have previously worked to uncover how the brain arbitrates between exploration and exploitation using experiments with one or two options, natural environments present a multitude of choices. In...
Now in Neuropsychopharmacology: Understanding Contextual Processing of Perception in Depression
In a hundred-year-old film, a man is seen looking at a bowl of soup, then at a child in a coffin, then at a woman on a divan. While the film shows the exact same footage of the man three times, interspersed with the other images, audiences perceived that the man reacted to each scene with separate and distinct facial expressions. This phenomenon suggested that audience interpretations of his expression were...
Suicide Research in the Department of Psychiatry
At Pitt Psychiatry, our faculty members conduct cutting-edge research on topics related to suicide across the lifespan. In recognition of Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we offer a look at ongoing suicide research pertaining to children and adolescents, LGBT youth, and older adult populations. In addition, our scientists investigate topics including decision-making in suicide, the neurobiology of suicide, and...
Current Pitt Psychiatry Research on Suicide Recognized by the National Institute of Mental Health
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has recognized recent Pitt Psychiatry research on suicide as a “Notable NIMH Grant.” “2020 Spring Inside NIMH” featured “Notable NIMH Grants” among its Director’s Highlights. Notable grants are a selection of the NIMH’s recently funded projects that exemplify the Institute’s efforts to accelerate research on mental illness, and to advance the NIMH Strategic Plan for...