Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Datta D, Arion D, Roman KM, Volk DW, Lewis DA: Altered expression of ARP2/3 complex signaling pathway genes in prefrontal layer 3 pyramidal cells in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 174:163-171, 2017
- Chung W, Wills ZP, Fish KN, Lewis DA: Developmental pruning of excitatory synaptic inputs to parvalbumin interneurons in monkey prefrontal cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114:E629-E637, 2017
- Arion D, Corradi J, Tang S, Datta D, Boothe F, He A, Cacace A, Zaczek R, Albright C, Tseng G, Lewis DA: Distinctive transcriptome alterations of prefrontal pyramidal neurons in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Mol Psychiatry 20:1397-1405, 2015
- Kimoto S, Zaki MM, Bazmi HH, Lewis DA: Altered markers of cortical Gamma-aminobutyric acid neuronal activity in schizophrenia: Role of the NARP gene. JAMA Psychiatry 72:747-756, 2015
- Verrico CD, Gu H, Peterson M, Sampson AR, Lewis DA: Repeated Gamma 9-tetrahydrocannabinol exposure in adolescent monkeys: Persistent effects selective for spatial working memory. Am J Psychiatry 171:416-425, 2014
- Bechtold J, Hipwell A, Lewis DA, Loeber R, Pardini D: Concurrent and sustained cumulative effects of adolescent marijuana use on subclinical psychotic symptoms. Am J Psychiatry 173:781-789, 2016
- Cho RY, Walker CP, Polizzotto NR, Wozny TA, Fissell C, Chen CA, Lewis DA: Development of sensory gamma oscillations and cross-frequency coupling from childhood to early adulthood. Cereb Cortex 25:1509-1518, 2015
- Lewis DA: Cortical circuit dysfunction and cognitive deficits in schizophrenia: Implications for preemptive interventions. Eur J Neurosci 35:1871-1878, 2012
- Frankle WG, Cho RY, Mason S, Chen C, Himes M, Walker C, Lewis DA, Mathis CA, Narendran R: [11C]flumazenil binding is increased in a dose-dependent manner with tiagabine induced elevations in GABA levels. PLoS One 7: e32443, 2012
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA: Developing a clinician educator faculty development program: Lessons learned. Acad Psychiatry 41:417-422, 2017
- Gopalan P, Azzam PN, Travis MJ, Schlesinger A, Lewis DA: Longitudinal interdisciplinary neuroscience curriculum. Acad Psychiatry 38:163-167, 2014
Now in Psychological Medicine: Addressing Challenges to Cognitive Aptitude Assessment in Postmortem Subjects with Schizophrenia
A deep understanding of the neural basis of cognitive impairment in schizophrenia is critical for the development of treatments for this disorder, as cognitive dysfunction can predict clinical outcomes such a relapse frequency and everyday functioning. Achieving this level of understanding is possible by studying post-mortem human brain tissue. However, thus far, scientists have been prevented from doing so due to...
Dr. David Lewis, Department Chair, Receives Gold Medal Award & Is Elected President of the Society of Biological Psychiatry
At the recent annual meeting of the Society of Biological Psychiatry (SOBP), David Lewis, MD , Chair of the Department of Psychiatry , was announced as a recipient of the 2019 Gold Medal Award. This award recognizes an internationally distinguished career of outstanding research and the advancement of knowledge in the field of psychiatric neuroscience. We are also delighted to announce that earlier this year Dr....
Increasing Access to Behavioral Health Care: What’s Happening at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital
At the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting this week, we invited attendees to learn about some of the ways the clinicians and leadership at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) strive to meet the needs of all patients by providing innovative, thoughtful and accessible behavioral health care. Western Psychiatric Hospital Overview Dr. David Lewis (Chair, Department of Psychiatry) opened the meeting...
Department of Psychiatry Provides Mentorship and Hands On Research Experience to Help Young Physician-Scientists Build Successful Careers in Psychiatric Neuroscience
Early exposure to cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences in laboratories is crucial to preparing the next generation of physician-scientists for successful careers in psychiatric neuroscience research. It also can lead to transformative discoveries that ultimately improve the lives of individuals with mental illness. The Department of Psychiatry is an international leader in helping young scientists learn...