Guillermo R Gonzalez-Burgos, PhD
Education & Training
- Distinct Physiological Maturation of Parvalbumin-Positive Neuron Subtypes in Mouse Prefrontal Cortex. Takeaki Miyamae, Kehui Chen, David A. Lewis and Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos. Journal of Neuroscience 10 May 2017, 37(19) 4883-4902; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3325-16.2017
- Alterations in Cortical Network Oscillations and Parvalbumin Neurons in Schizophrenia. Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos, Raymond Y Cho, David A Lewis Biological Psychiatry Volume 77, Issue 12, 15 June 2015, Pages 1031-1040. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2015.03.010.
- Functional maturation of GABA synapses during postnatal development of the monkey dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos, Takeaki Miyamae, Diego E Pafundo, Hiroki Yoshino, Diana C Rotaru, Gil Hoftman, Dibyadeep Datta, Yun Zhang, Mahjub Hammond, Allan R Sampson, Kenneth N Fish, G Bard Ermentrout, David A Lewis. Cerebral Cortex, Volume 25, Issue 11, 1 November 2015, Pages 40764093, https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhu122
- Glutamate Receptor Subtypes Mediating Synaptic Activation of Prefrontal Cortex Neurons: Relevance for Schizophrenia. Diana C. Rotaru, Hiroki Yoshino, David A. Lewis, G. Bard Ermentrout and Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos. Journal of Neuroscience 5 January 2011, 31(1)142-156; DOI:https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1970-10.2011.
- GABA Neurons and the Mechanisms of Network Oscillations: Implications for Understanding Cortical Dysfunction in Schizophrenia. Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos David A. Lewis. Schizophrenia Bulletin, Volume 34, Issue 5, 1 September 2008, Pages 944961, https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbn070
Findings by Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos and Dr. David Lewis Indicate that NMDAR Activation Enhances Inhibition of PCs by PVBCs
Understanding the mechanisms by which N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs) regulate cortical circuit function is crucial for testing hypotheses that NMDAR hypofunction is involved in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Recent studies reveal that presynaptic NMDARs control transmitter release at cortical synapses, suggesting novel mechanisms of NMDAR action in cortical circuits. If presynaptic NMDARs enhance...
Hot Publication - Miyamae et al.
Distinct physiological maturation of parvalbumin-positive neuron subtypes in mouse prefrontal cortex Miyamae T, Chen K, Lewis DA and Gonzalez Burgos G Journal of Neuroscience, 2017, 37:4883-4902. Parvalbumin-positive (PV+) neurons control the timing of pyramidal cell output in cortical neuron networks. In the prefrontal cortex (PFC), PV+ neuron activity is involved in cognitive function, suggesting that PV+ neuron...
Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos, PhD Promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Congratulations to Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos, PhD on his promotion to the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. A graduate of the University of Buenos Aires in Argentina, Dr. Gonzalez-Burgos received his PhD in Neuroscience in 1995, and began his career at the University of Pittsburgh later that year. As a postdoc in the Department of Neuroscience, he studied...
Pafundo et al. - Journal of Physiology
Cholinergic modulation of neuronal excitability and recurrent excitation-inhibition in prefrontal cortex circuits: implications for gamma oscillations Pafundo DE, Miyamae T, Lewis DA and Gonzalez-Burgos G Cognitive functions such as working memory, the ability to hold and use small amounts of information in one?s mind for a short period of time, depend on the rhythmic activity of networks of neurons known as gamma...