Katalin Szanto, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Szanto K, Mulsant BH, Houck P, Dew MA, Reynolds CF III. Occurrence and course of suicidality during acute treatment of late-life depression. Archives of General Psychiatry, 2003, 60:610-617. PMID: 12796224
- Szanto K, Kalmar S, Hendin H, Rihmer, Z, Mann JJ. A Suicide Prevention Program in a Very High Suicide Rate Region. Archives of General Psychiatry, 2007, 64(6): 914-920. PMID: 17679636
- Szanto, K., de Bruin, W. B., Parker, A. M., Hallquist, M. N., Vanyukov, P. M., & Dombrovski, A. Y.. Decision-making competence and attempted suicide. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2015 Dec ,76(12): 1-478. PMCID: PMC4697276.
- Szanto K, Clark L, Hallquist M, Vanyukov PM, Crockett M, Dombrovski AY. The cost of social punishment and high-lethality suicide attempts in the second half of life. Psychology and Aging. 2014 Mar; 21(1): 84-94. PMCID: PMC4051315
- Dombrovski AY, Clark L, Siegle GJ, Butters MA, Ichikawa N, Sahakian B, Szanto K. Reward/punishment reversal learning in older suicide attempters. American Journal of Psychiatry, 167:699-707, 2010. PMCID: PMC3020386
- Szanto K, Shear K, Houck PR, Reynolds CF, Frank E, Caroff K, Silowash R: Indirect self- destructive behavior and overt suicidality in patients with complicated grief. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 67(2):233-239, 2006.
- Szanto K, Lenze E, Waern M, Duberstein P, Bruce ML, Epstein-Lubow G, and Conwell Y: Research to Reduce the Suicide Rate Among Older Adults: Methodology Roadblocks and Promising Paradigms. Psychatric Services, 2013. PMC3742079
- Hendin H, Maltsberger JT, Haas Pollinger A, Rabinowitcz H, Szanto K. Problems in psychotherapy of suicidal patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2006, 163(1):67-72. PMID: 16390891
- Hendin H, Maltsberger T, Szanto K: The psychosocial context of the trauma in treating PTSD patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 165(1):28-32, 2008. PMID: 18178753
- Szanto K, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Dew MA, Dombrovski A, Pollock BG, and Reynolds CF III: Emergence, persistence, and resolution of suicidal ideation during treatment of depression in old age. Journal of Affective Disorders, 98(1-2):153-161, 2007.
Impairment of Learning from Experience and Making Value-Based Choice in Suicidal Behavior
Suicidal behavior is often misunderstood as a strategic decision that follows a thorough evaluation of circumstances, alternative solutions and possible deterrents. Yet, clinicians know that those at-risk for suicide may not reliably assess the proportion of triggering circumstances relative to the impact of the suicidal act. Suicide can, at times, be especially difficult to understand because although it may...
Katalin Szanto, MD Promoted to Professor by Pitt School of Medicine
Katalin Szanto, MD focuses her research on the psychopathology, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior, particularly geriatric suicide. She conducted a psychological autopsy study, a successful suicide prevention program in primary care, and has extensive experience in interviewing practitioners who have lost patients by suicide. She founded the Longitudinal Research Program in Late-Life Suicide at the...
Hot Publication - Szanto et al.
Decision-making Competence and Attempted Suicide Szanto K, Bruine de Bruin W, Parker AM, Hallquist MN, Vanyukov PM, and Dombrovski AY. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Published online Decision biases are systematic deviations from normative (rational) choices that aim to provide the decision maker with the maximum likelihood of the desired outcome. While the propensity of people vulnerable to suicide to make poor...
Hot Publication - Dombrovski et al.
Corticostriatothalamic Reward Prediction Error Signals and Executive Control in Late-Life Depression Dombrovski AY, Szanto K, Clark L, Aizenstein HJ, Chase HW, Reynolds CF and Siegle GJ Psychological Medicine, 2015, 45(7):1413-24 The vascular depression hypothesis posits that prefrontal disconnection by vascular lesions causes depression and executive dysfunction. In a study recently published in Psychological...