Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Matheson T, Stitzer M, Das M, Jain MK, Rodriguez AE, Armstrong WS, Lucas GM, Nijhawan AE, Drainoni ML, Herrera P, Vergara-Rodriguez P, Jacobson JM, Mugavero MJ, Sullivan M, Daar ES, McMahon DK, Ferris DC, Lindblad R, VanVeldhuisen P, Oden N, Castelln, Tross S, Haynes LF, Douaihy A, Sorensen JL, Metzger DS, Mandler RN, Colfax GN, del Rio C. Effect of Patient Navigation With or Without Financial Incentives on Viral Suppression Among Hospitalized Patients With HIV Infection and Substance Use. A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016, 316(2): 156-170.
- Winhusen T, Kropp F, Lindblad R, Douaihy A, Haynes L, Hodgkins C. Chartier K, Kampman KM, Sharma G, Lewis DF, VanVeldhuisen P, Theobald J, May J, Brigham GS. A multi-site, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of buspirone as a relapse-prevention treatment for cocaine dependence. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2014, 75(7):757-64.
- Winhusen TM, Brigham GS, Kropp F, Lindblad R, Gardin JG, Penn P, Hodgkins C, Kelly TM, Douaihy A, McCann M, Love LD, DeGravelles E, Bachrach K, Sonne SC, Hiott B, Haynes L, Sharma G, Lewis DF, Van Veldhuisen P, Theobald J, Ghitza Udi. A randomized trial of concurrent smoking-cessation and substance use disorder treatment in stimulant-dependent smokers. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2014, 75(4):336-343.
- Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Schackman BR, Matheson T, Das M, Golden MR, Huffaker S, Haynes LF, Tross S, Malotte CK, Douaihy A, Korthuis PT, Duffus WA, Henn S, Bolan R, Philip SS, Castro JG, Castellon PC, McLaughlin G, Mandler RN, Branson B, Colfax GM. Effect of Risk-Reduction Counseling with Rapid HIV Testing on Risk of Acquiring Sexually Transmitted Infections. The AWARE Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2013, 310(16):1701-1710.
- Bogenschutz M, Donovan D, Mandler R, Perl H, Forcehimes A, Crandall C, Lindblad R, Oden N, Sharma G, Metsch L, Lyons M, McCormack R, Konstantopoulos WM, Douaihy A. Brief intervention for drug users presenting in emergency departments. JAMA Internal Medicine, 2014, 174(11):1736-45.
- Wilkening GL, Kucherer SA, Douaihy AB. Priapism and renal colic in a patient treated with duloxetine. Ment Health Clin. 2016, 6(4):197-200.
- Beth D. Kennard, Candice Biernesser, Kristin L. Wolfe, Aleksandra A. Foxwell, Simon J. Craddock Lee, Katie V. Rial, Sarita Patel, Carol Cheng, Tina Goldstein, Dana, McMakin, Beatriz Blastos, Antoine Douaihy, Jamie Zelazny & David A. Brent. Developing a Brief Suicide Prevention Intervention and Mobile Phone Application: A Qualitative Report. Journal of Technology in Human Services, 2015, 33(4):345-357.
- Kelly TM, Daley DC, Douaihy AB. Treatment of substance abusing patients with comorbid psychiatric disorders. Addictive Behaviors 2012, 37(1):11-24.
- Douaihy AB, Kelly TM, Sullivan C. Medications for substance use disorders. Social Work in Public Health 2013, 28(3-4):264-278.
- Brent DA, McMakin DL, Kennard BD, Goldstein TR, Mayes TL, Douaihy AB. Protecting adolescents from self-harm: A critical review of intervention studies. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2013, 52(12):1260-1271.
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA. Developing a Clinician Educator Faculty Development Program: Lessons Learned. Acad Psychiatry. 2016, DOI: 10.1007/s40596-016-0596-x. PMID: 27538911.
- Nightingale B, Gopalan P, Azzam P, Douaihy A, Conti T. Teaching brief motivational interventions for diabetes to family medicine residents. Fam Med 2016, 48(3):187-193.
- Malas N, Rofey D, Kuchera AM, Fletcher J, Ortiz-Aguayo R, Douaihy A, Gold M. Motivational interviewing in paediatric residency. The Clinical Teacher. 2016, DOI: 10.1111/tct.12503.
- Douaihy A, Kelly TM, Gold MA (Editors). Motivational Interviewing: A Guide for Medical Trainees, New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Douaihy A & Daley DC (Editors). Substance Use Disorders, Pittsburgh Pocket Series. NY: Oxford University Press. DJ Kupfer & M Travis (Series editors), 2013.
Brent and Colleagues Test New Smartphone-based Intervention to Reduce Suicide Attempts by Teens Following Hospital Discharge
Adolescent suicide and suicidal behavior have shown dramatic increases in the past decade, making suicide the second leading cause of death in this age group. The standard practice is to hospitalize adolescents at highest imminent risk for a suicide attempt, but the risk for suicidal behavior is highest within the first three weeks after discharge. Currently there are no interventions designed to decrease the risk...
Each year the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine recognizes outstanding faculty contributions to medical education through several prestigious awards at its annual Curriculum Colloquium. Honorees are selected by the Award Review Committee and the Dean, based on nominations by students and faculty. This year, Department of Psychiatry faculty garnered five awards in recognition of their outstanding...
Senior Clinical Consultant
Dr. Antoine Douaihy Appointed Senior Clinical Consultant in Addiction Psychiatry Antoine Douaihy, MD, Professor of Psychiatry and Medicine, has been appointed as the Senior Clinical Consultant in Addiction Psychiatry. In this new position, Dr. Douaihy will serve as a role model in clinical practice, teaching and training, innovation, and dissemination. Dr. Douaihy is uniquely qualified for his new role. He is a...
Antoine Douaihy, MD Presented with Donald Fraley Award in Recognition for Outstanding Medical Student Mentoring
Please join us in congratulating Antoine Douaihy, MD, Professor of Psychiatry and Medicine, on his receipt of the Donald Fraley Award for Medical Student Mentoring. Named in honor of the late Donald S. Fraley, MD, alumnus of the School of Medicine and past chair of the Curriculum Committee, the award recognizes individuals for their outstanding contribution to medical education through their service as mentors to...