Zachary Z Freyberg, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Freyberg Z, Aslanoglou D, Shah R, Ballon JS. Intrinsic and Antipsychotic Drug-Induced Metabolic Dysfunction in Schizophrenia. Front. Neurosci. 2017 July; 11:432. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00432.
- McCarthy M, Freyberg Z. Dopamine D2 Receptors and the Circadian Clock Reciprocally Mediate Antipsychotic Drug Metabolic Disturbances. npj Schizophrenia 2017 Apr; 3(17): doi:10.1038/s41537-017-0018-4. PubMed PMID: 28560263.
- Freyberg Z, Sonders MS, Aguilar JI, Hiranita T, Karam CS, Flores J, Pizzo AB, Zhang Y, Farino ZJ, Chen A, Martin CA, Kopajtic TA, Fei H, Hu G, Lin YY, Mosharov EV, McCabe BD, Freyberg R, Wimalasena K, Hsin LW, Sames D, Krantz DE, Katz JL, Sulzer D, Javitch JA. Mechanisms of amphetamine action illuminated through in vivo optical monitoring of dopamine synaptic vesicles. Nature Communications 2016 Feb 16; 7:10652 doi: 10.1038/ncomms10652. PubMed PMID: 26879809.
- Farino ZJ, Morgenstern TJ, Vallaghe J, Gregor N, Donthamsetti P, Harris PE, Pierre N, Freyberg R, Charrier-Savournin F, Javitch JA, Freyberg Z. Development of a homogenous time-resolved fluorescence assay for rapid insulin measurement. PLoS ONE 2016 Feb 5; 11(2): e0148684. PubMed PMID: 26849707.
- Simpson N, Maffei A, Freeby M, Burroughs S, Freyberg Z, Javitch J, Leibel RL, Harris PE. Dopamine-mediated autocrine inhibitory circuit regulating human insulin secretion in vitro. Mol Endocrinol. 2012 Oct; 26(10): 1757-1772. PubMed PMID: 22915827.
- Freyberg R, Chung CK, Freyberg, Z, Barnhill J, Ferrando S, Pennebaker, JW. The Write Stuff: Relationships between narrative content and psychiatric illness. Narrative Inquiry 2014; 24: 28-39.
- Freyberg Z, Ferrando SJ, Javitch JA. Roles of the Akt/GSK-3 and Wnt signaling pathways in schizophrenia and antipsychotic drug action. Am J Psychiatry 2010 Apr; 167(4): 388-396. PubMed PMID: 19917593.
- APA Work Group on Alzheimer's Disease and other Dementias, Rabins PV, Blacker D, Rovner BW, Rummans T, Schneider LS, Tariot PN, Blass DM; Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines, McIntyre JS, Charles SC, Anzia DJ, Cook IA, Finnerty MT, Johnson BR, Nininger JE, Schneidman B, Summergrad P, Woods SM, Berger J, Cross CD, Brandt HA, Margolis PM, Shemo JP, Blinder BJ, Duncan DL, Barnovitz MA, Carino AJ, Freyberg Z, Gray SH, Tonnu T, Kunkle R, Albert AB, Craig TJ, Regier DA, Fochtmann LJ. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Second edition. Am J Psychiatry 2007 Dec; 164 (12 Suppl): 5-56. PubMed PMID: 18340692.
- Ferrando SJ, Freyberg Z. Treatment of depression in HIV positive individuals: a critical review. Int Rev Psychiatry 2008 Feb; 20(1): 61-71. PubMed PMID: 18240063.
- Floyd S, Butler MH, Cremona O, David C, Freyberg Z, Zhang X, Solimena M, Tokunaga A, Ishizu H, Tsutsui K, De Camilli P. Expression of amphiphysin I, an autoantigen of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes, in breast cancer. Mol Med. 1998 Jan; 4(1): 29-39. PubMed PMID: 9513187.
Education InterestsSelected Education Publications & Products
- Freyberg R, Freyberg Z. Behavioral and Social Sciences. in: Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z, Savitz A. Schizophrenia. in Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z. Schizophrenia and Violence. in: Barnhill J, (ed.), Approaching the Psychiatric Patient 1st Edition 2008. APA Press, Washington, D.C.
The Effects of Dopamine and Antipsychotic Drugs on the Body’s Ability to Respond to Insulin
A recent study in Molecular Psychiatry shares findings that help explain how antipsychotic drugs might contribute to the development of conditions such as diabetes and obesity by influencing dopamine receptors outside of the brain. The study’s lead author, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Cell Biology Zachary Freyberg, MD, PhD , shared how this investigation evolved and considered avenues for further research....
Department of Psychiatry Provides Mentorship and Hands On Research Experience to Help Young Physician-Scientists Build Successful Careers in Psychiatric Neuroscience
Early exposure to cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences in laboratories is crucial to preparing the next generation of physician-scientists for successful careers in psychiatric neuroscience research. It also can lead to transformative discoveries that ultimately improve the lives of individuals with mental illness. The Department of Psychiatry is an international leader in helping young scientists learn...
Freyberg and Colleagues Bring Cryoelectron Tomography Imaging to Intact Human Cells and Explore the Biological Consequences of a Mutation that Causes Mitochondrial Disease
Mitochondrial diseases are a group of inherited and severe multiorgan disorders that stem from mutations affecting the proper functioning of mitochondria, the “power plants” of cells that generate the majority of the energy needed for metabolic processes. Due to its high energy requirements, the brain is especially vulnerable to energy shortages, and therefore neurological symptoms are common in mitochondrial...
Hot Publication – Freyberg et al.
Findings by Dr. Zachary Freyberg et al. challenge the existing dogma about how dopamine-releasing neurons communicate, showing that they can change the amount of dopamine released as a function of their overall activity. Malfunctioning of this mechanism could have major implications for many dopamine-related diseases, including schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, and addiction. The basics of dopamine signaling...