Zachary Z Freyberg, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Freyberg Z, Aslanoglou D, Shah R, Ballon JS. Intrinsic and Antipsychotic Drug-Induced Metabolic Dysfunction in Schizophrenia. Front. Neurosci. 2017 July; 11:432. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00432.
- McCarthy M, Freyberg Z. Dopamine D2 Receptors and the Circadian Clock Reciprocally Mediate Antipsychotic Drug Metabolic Disturbances. npj Schizophrenia 2017 Apr; 3(17): doi:10.1038/s41537-017-0018-4. PubMed PMID: 28560263.
- Freyberg Z, Sonders MS, Aguilar JI, Hiranita T, Karam CS, Flores J, Pizzo AB, Zhang Y, Farino ZJ, Chen A, Martin CA, Kopajtic TA, Fei H, Hu G, Lin YY, Mosharov EV, McCabe BD, Freyberg R, Wimalasena K, Hsin LW, Sames D, Krantz DE, Katz JL, Sulzer D, Javitch JA. Mechanisms of amphetamine action illuminated through in vivo optical monitoring of dopamine synaptic vesicles. Nature Communications 2016 Feb 16; 7:10652 doi: 10.1038/ncomms10652. PubMed PMID: 26879809.
- Farino ZJ, Morgenstern TJ, Vallaghe J, Gregor N, Donthamsetti P, Harris PE, Pierre N, Freyberg R, Charrier-Savournin F, Javitch JA, Freyberg Z. Development of a homogenous time-resolved fluorescence assay for rapid insulin measurement. PLoS ONE 2016 Feb 5; 11(2): e0148684. PubMed PMID: 26849707.
- Simpson N, Maffei A, Freeby M, Burroughs S, Freyberg Z, Javitch J, Leibel RL, Harris PE. Dopamine-mediated autocrine inhibitory circuit regulating human insulin secretion in vitro. Mol Endocrinol. 2012 Oct; 26(10): 1757-1772. PubMed PMID: 22915827.
- Freyberg R, Chung CK, Freyberg, Z, Barnhill J, Ferrando S, Pennebaker, JW. The Write Stuff: Relationships between narrative content and psychiatric illness. Narrative Inquiry 2014; 24: 28-39.
- Freyberg Z, Ferrando SJ, Javitch JA. Roles of the Akt/GSK-3 and Wnt signaling pathways in schizophrenia and antipsychotic drug action. Am J Psychiatry 2010 Apr; 167(4): 388-396. PubMed PMID: 19917593.
- APA Work Group on Alzheimer's Disease and other Dementias, Rabins PV, Blacker D, Rovner BW, Rummans T, Schneider LS, Tariot PN, Blass DM; Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines, McIntyre JS, Charles SC, Anzia DJ, Cook IA, Finnerty MT, Johnson BR, Nininger JE, Schneidman B, Summergrad P, Woods SM, Berger J, Cross CD, Brandt HA, Margolis PM, Shemo JP, Blinder BJ, Duncan DL, Barnovitz MA, Carino AJ, Freyberg Z, Gray SH, Tonnu T, Kunkle R, Albert AB, Craig TJ, Regier DA, Fochtmann LJ. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Second edition. Am J Psychiatry 2007 Dec; 164 (12 Suppl): 5-56. PubMed PMID: 18340692.
- Ferrando SJ, Freyberg Z. Treatment of depression in HIV positive individuals: a critical review. Int Rev Psychiatry 2008 Feb; 20(1): 61-71. PubMed PMID: 18240063.
- Floyd S, Butler MH, Cremona O, David C, Freyberg Z, Zhang X, Solimena M, Tokunaga A, Ishizu H, Tsutsui K, De Camilli P. Expression of amphiphysin I, an autoantigen of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes, in breast cancer. Mol Med. 1998 Jan; 4(1): 29-39. PubMed PMID: 9513187.
Education InterestsSelected Education Publications & Products
- Freyberg R, Freyberg Z. Behavioral and Social Sciences. in: Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z, Savitz A. Schizophrenia. in Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z. Schizophrenia and Violence. in: Barnhill J, (ed.), Approaching the Psychiatric Patient 1st Edition 2008. APA Press, Washington, D.C.
Hot Publication – Freyberg et al.
Findings by Dr. Zachary Freyberg et al. challenge the existing dogma about how dopamine-releasing neurons communicate, showing that they can change the amount of dopamine released as a function of their overall activity. Malfunctioning of this mechanism could have major implications for many dopamine-related diseases, including schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, and addiction. The basics of dopamine signaling...
MindScapes Art Exhibit Aims to Reduce Mental Health Stigma
Mindscapes, an exhibit of artwork created by Pittsburgh brain researchers and people who have experienced mental illness, was held at The Image Box as part of the Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn monthly art crawl. Drs. Lizzie Manning and Micah Shelton, researchers from the Translational Neuroscience Program (working with Dr. Susanne Ahmari and Dr. Ryan Logan, respectively), held the event during national Mental...
Department of Psychiatry Welcomes New Research Faculty to Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh and our Department of Psychiatry are attracting talented scientists from around the country. Our Department has earned a reputation as a leader in basic science and translational research focusing on mental health disorders. With the recent addition of four talented early career scientists, the Department continues to expand its research in these important areas. Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD Assistant...