Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Goldstein TR, Krantz M, Merranko J, Garcia M, Sobel L, Rodriguez C, Douaihy A, Axelson DA, Birmaher B. Medication adherence among adolescents with bipolar disorder. J Child Adol Psychopharmacol. 2016 Dec;26(10). PMID: 27419273
- Goldstein TR, Fersch RK, Rivera M, Axelson DA, Merranko J, Yu H, , Brent DA, Birmaher B. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder: Results from a Pilot Randomized Trial. J Child Adol Psychopharmacol. 2015 Mar;25(2):140-149. PMID: 25010702
- Goldstein TR, Fersch-Podrat RK, Axelson DA, Gilbert A, Hlastala S, Birmaher B, Frank E. Early Intervention for adolescents at high risk for the development of bipolar disorder: Pilot study of Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT). Psychotherapy. 2014 Mar;51(1):180-18. PMID: 24377402
- Goldstein TR, Ha W, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Liao F, Gill MK, Ryan ND, Yen S, Hunt J, Hower H, Keller M, Strober M, Birmaher B. Predictors of prospectively observed suicide attempts among youth with bipolar disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012 Nov;69(11):1113-1122. PMID: 22752079
- Goldstein TR, Obreja M, Shamseddeen W, Iyengar S, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Kupfer DJ, Brent DA, Birmaher B. Risk for suicidal ideation among the offspring of bipolar parents: Results from the Bipolar Offspring Study (BIOS). Arch Suicide Res. 2011 Jul;15(3):207-222. PMID: 21827311
Demographic and Clinical Factors Could Help Identify Youth with Bipolar Spectrum Disorder at Significantly Greatest Risk for Sexual Activity and Sexual Risk Behavior
Nearly half of U.S. high school students report being sexually active, and youth with psychiatric disorders engage in risky sexual behaviors at increased rates. Although studies have implicated mood, anxiety, disruptive, personality, and substance use disorders specifically in sexual risk behaviors, little is known about the temporal association between specific psychiatric disorders in youth and sexual risk...
Dr. Tina Goldstein Receives University of Pittsburgh Postdoctoral Association Postdoctoral Mentor Award at Data & Dine Symposium
Congratulations to Tina R. Goldstein, PhD , Associate Professor of Psychiatry, on her receipt of the University of Pittsburgh Postdoctoral Association (UPPDA) Postdoctoral Mentor Award, which recognizes a faculty member who has engaged in exceptional mentoring of postdoctoral scholars. At Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Dr. Goldstein directs the NIMH-funded Clinical Research Training for Psychologists...
Hafeman et al. Report on the Usefulness of a Risk Calculator to Predict New-Onset Bipolar Spectrum Disorder in Youth in JAMA Psychiatry
Early identification of individuals at high risk for the onset of bipolar spectrum disorder (BPSD) is key from both a clinical and research perspective. In this study, Dr. Hafeman and colleagues built a risk calculator to predict the five-year onset of BPSD in youth at familial risk. This study tested the degree to which a time-to-event model, including measures of mood and anxiety, general psychosocial functioning...
Dr. Tina Goldstein Selected by President Obama to Receive Early-Career Award for Extraordinary Scientists and Engineers
President Barack Obama has named Dr. Tina Goldstein as a recipient of the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers. Dr. Goldstein is one of a select group of researchers chosen by the President to receive this honor. " These early-career scientists are leading the way in our efforts to confront and understand challenges from climate change to our health and wellness ," President Obama said. " We...