Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- I.D. Zike, M.O. Chohan, J.M. Kopelman, E. Krasnow, D. Flicker, K.M. Nautiyal, M. Bubser, C. Kellendonk, C.K. Jones, G.D. Stanwood, K.F. Tanaka, H. Moore, S.E. Ahmari, J. Veenstra-VanderWeele. (2017) OCD candidate gene SLC1A1/EAAT3 impacts basal ganglia-mediated activity and stereotypic behavior. PNAS. 114: 5719-5724. PMID: 28507136.
- J. Wood and S.E. Ahmari. A framework for understanding the emerging role of corticolimbic-ventral striatal networks in OCD-associated repetitive behaviors. (2015) Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience. 9:171-83. PMID: 26733823.
- K.M. Nautiyal, K.F. Tanaka, M.M. Barr, L. Tritschler, Y.L. Dantec, D.J. David, A.M. Gardier, C. Blanco, R. Hen, and S.E. Ahmari. (2015) Distinct circuits underlie the effects of 5-HT1B receptors on aggression and impulsivity. Neuron. 86:813-826. PMID: 25892302.
- S.E. Ahmari, T. Eich, D. Cebenoyan, E.E. Smith, and H.B. Simpson. (2014) Assessing neurocognitive function in psychiatric disorders: a roadmap for enhancing consensus. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory. 115:10-20. PMID: 24994503.
- S.E. Ahmari, T. Spellman, N.L. Douglass, M.A. Kheirbek, H.B. Simpson, K. Deisseroth, J.A. Gordon, R. Hen. (2013) Repeated cortico-striatal stimulation generates persistent OCD-like behavior. Science. 340:1234-1239. PMID: 23744948.
Department Faculty Members and Student Researcher Receive ACNP Travel Awards
The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) selected three faculty members (Drs. Jay Fournier , Danella Hafeman and Judith Morgan ) and a Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) student (Dr. Wonjae Chung) in the Department of Psychiatry to receive travel awards. ACNP annually selects distinguished young scientists in the field of neuropsychopharmacology to receive these awards, which offer an opportuni...
MindScapes Art Exhibit Aims to Reduce Mental Health Stigma
Mindscapes, an exhibit of artwork created by Pittsburgh brain researchers and people who have experienced mental illness, was held at The Image Box as part of the Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn monthly art crawl. Drs. Lizzie Manning and Micah Shelton, researchers from the Translational Neuroscience Program (working with Dr. Susanne Ahmari and Dr. Ryan Logan, respectively), held the event during national Mental Il...
2016 Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Psychiatry
The Department of Psychiatry was well represented at the recent 71st Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Psychiatry Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. The meeting offered numerous Department faculty, postdoctoral scholars, residents, and students the opportunity to present their work, network, and build new collaborative relationships with researchers from across the United States. At the meeting, Dr. Susanne Ahm...
Dr. Susanne Ahmari Honored with Awards from Society of Biological Psychiatry and Carnegie Science Center for Basic Science Research
The Department of Psychiatry is proud to announce that Dr. Susanne Ahmari has been presented with two awards in recognition of her significant contributions to scientific research. The Society for Biological Psychiatry will present Dr. Ahmari with the A.E. Bennett Research Award for Basic Sciences at a special ceremony on May 13, 2016 at its annual meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. The award is presented by the Society...