Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Diler RS, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Gill MK, Strober M, Kolko D, Goldstein T, Hunt J, Yang M, Ryan N, Dahl RE, Dorn LD, Keller M (2009). The Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) and the CBCL-Bipolar Phenotype are not useful in diagnosing Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 19:23-30, 2009. PMC2753490
- Diler RS, Almeida JR, Ladouceur CD, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML. Neural activity to positive versus negative stimuli can help differentiate bipolar disorder from unipolar major depressive disorder in depressed adolescents: A pilot fMRI study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 2013 Sep 27. PMC3856642
- Diler RS, Pan LA, Segreti AM, Ladouceur CD, Forbes E, Romero-Cela S, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML. Differential anterior cingulate activity during response inhibition in depressed adolescents with bipolar and unipolar major depressive disorder. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 23:10-19, 2014. PMC3917665
- Diler RS, Ladouceur CD, Segreti AM, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML, Pan L. Neural correlates of treatment response in depressed bipolar adolescents during emotion processing. Brain Imaging and Behavior 7: 227-235, 2013. PMID: 23355265
- Diler RS, Segreti AM, Ladouceur CD, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML, Pan L. Neural correlates of treatment in adolescents with bipolar depression during response inhibition. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 23: 214-221, 2013. PMC3678567
- Diler RS, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Obreja M, Monk K, Hickey MB, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Sakolsky D, Iyengar S, Brent D, and Kupfer D. Dimensional Psychopathology in Offspring of Parents with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders 13: 670-678, 2011. PMC4017915
- Diler RS. Goldstein TR, Hafeman D, Rooks BT, Sakolsky D, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Axelson D, Iyengar S, Birmaher B. Characteristics of depression among offspring at high and low familial risk of bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2017 Jun 14. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12508. PMID: 28612977
- Diler RS, Goldstein TR, Hafeman D1, Merranko J, Liao F, Goldstein B, Hower H, Gill MK, Hunt J, Yen S, Keller MB, Axelson D, Strober M, Iyengar S, Ryan ND, Birmaher B. Distinguishing Bipolar Depression from Unipolar Depression in Youth: Preliminary Findings. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 27:310-319, 2017. doi: 10.1089/cap.2016.0154. Epub 2017 Feb 28
- Diler RS, Uguz S, Seydaoglu G, Avci A. Mania profile in community sample of prepubertal children in Turkey. Bipolar Disorders 10:546-553, 2008
- Dickstein DP, Axelson D, Weissman AB, Yen S, Hunt JI, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Liao F, Gill MK, Hower H, Frazier TW, Diler RS, Youngstrom EA, Fristad MA, Arnold LE, Findling RL, Horwitz SM, Kowatch RA, Ryan ND, Strober M, Birmaher B, Keller MB. Cognitive flexibility and performance in children and adolescents with threshold and sub-threshold bipolar disorder.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Jun;25(6):625-38. doi: 10.1007/s00787-015-0769-2. Epub 2015 Oct 5. PMID:26438382
- Diler RS, Birmaher B. Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. In International E-Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Dr. Rey (Ed), by International Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professionals (IACAPAP) (chapter in the e-textbook; http://iacapap.org/wp-content/uploads/E.2-BIPOLAR-072012.pdf). Chapter #E2, 1-30, 2012/2017
- Diler RS. Early diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children and adolescent. Synergy by University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), CME Activity, 9, 2012. http://www.upmcphysicianresources.com/cme-course/upmc-synergies-fall-2012
- Diler RS (Editor). Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: A Global Perspective (international monograph). Nova Science Publications, NY. From the perspectives of America (North), Australia and New Zealand, Brazil, China, Japan, India, Italy, Israel, Spain, Russia, and Turkey, 2007 (book)
- Diler RS. Clinical Characteristics of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents. In: Figueira ML & Akiskal HS (eds), Clinical Aspects of Mania. Wolters Kluwer. Madrid, Spain. 63-82, 2009
- Goldstein BI, Sassi R, Diler RS. Pharmacologic treatment of bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 21(4): 911-39, 2012
Hot Publication - Pan et al.
Neurometabolic disorders: Potentially treatable abnormalities in patients with treatment-refractory depression and suicidal behavior Pan LA, Martin P, Zimmer T, Segreti AM, Kassiff S, McKain BW, Baca CA, Rengasamy M, Hyland K, Walano N, Steinfeld R, Hughes M, Dobrowolski SK, Pasquino M, Diler D, Perel J, Finegold DN, Peters DG, Naviaux RK, Brent DA and Vockley J. American Journal of Psychiatry, Published Online Tre...
2016 HAP Awards
Each year the Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) recognizes the most innovative Pennsylvania hospitals through its annual Achievement Awards program. This year, a panel representing public and private sectors, health care and business organizations, and for-profit and nonprofit entities selected two programs at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC (WPIC) from 121 entries for award...
Excellence in Technology Award
Innovative Use of Technology by INCABS Program Garners Excellence in Health Information Award Each year, the National Council for Behavioral Healthcare honors individuals and organizations that are making large strides in fighting mental illness and addiction. The Impact Awards specifically recognize organizations for excellence in delivering treatment and community support to individuals with mental illness and ad...
Rasim Somer Diler, MD Promoted to the Rank of Associate Professor The Department of Psychiatry is pleased to announce the promotion of Dr. Rasim Somer Diler to the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Diler is a graduate of the Istanbul University School of Medicine. He completed postdoctoral training and was a faculty member of the Çukurova University Medical School in Adana, Turkey prior to his relocati...