Nadine Melhem, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Melhem NM, Munroe S, Marsland A, Gray K, Brent D, Porta G, Douaihy A, Laudenslager ML, DePietro F, Diler R, Driscoll H, Gopalan P. Blunted HPA axis activity prior to suicide attempt and increased inflammation in attempters. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2017 Mar;77:284-294. PubMed PMID: 28135675
- Melhem NM, Keilp JG, Porta G, Oquendo MA, Burke A, Stanley B, Cooper TB, Mann JJ, Brent DA. Blunted HPA axis activity in suicide attempters compared to those at high risk for suicidal behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016 May;41(6):1447-1456. PubMed PMID: 26450815
- Melhem NM, Porta G, Shamseddeen W, Walker Payne M, Brent DA. Grief in children and adolescents breaved by sudden parental death. JAMA Psychiatry. 2011 Sep;68(9):911-919. PubMed PMID: 21893658
- Hoglinger G*, Melhem NM*, Dickson D*, Sleiman P*, Wang LS, Klei L, Rademakers R, de Silva R, Litvan I, Riley DC, van Swieten JC, Heutink P, Wszolek Z, Uitti RJ, Vandrovcova J, Hurtig H, Gross RG, Maetzler W, Goldwurm S, Tolosa E, Borroni B, Pastor P, PSP Genetics Study Group, Cantwell LB, Han MR, Dillman A, van der Brug MP, Gibbs JR, Cookson MR, Hernandez D, Singleton A, Farrer MJ, Yu CE, Golbe L, Revesz T, Hardy J, Lees A, Devlin B, Hakonarson H, Mller U* & Schellenberg GD*. Identification of common variants influencing risk for the tauopathy Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. Nat Genet. 2011 Jun 19;43(7):699-705. PubMed PMID: 21685912. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Melhem N, Brent D, Ziegler M, Iyengar S, Kolko D, Oquendo M, Birmaher B, Burke A, Zelazny J, Stanley B, Mann J. Familial pathways to early-onset suicidal behavior: familial and individual antecedents of suicidal behavior. Am J Psychiatry. 2007 Sep;164(9):1364-1370. PubMed PMID: 17728421
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Inventory for Complicated Grief- Revised for Children (ICG-RC). An instrument and screen with established cut-offs developed to measure grief reactions in children. Citation: Melhem NM, Porta G, Walker Payne M, Brent DA. Identifying prolonged grief reactions in children: Dimensional and diagnostic approaches. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2013 Jun;52(6):599-607. PubMed PMID: 23702449
Hot Publication - Melhem et al.
Identifying Prolonged Grief Reactions in Children: Dimensional and Diagnostic Approaches Melhem NM, Porta G, Payne MW, and Brent DA When children and adolescents experience the sudden death of a parent, they are at risk for prolonged grief reactions, also known as complicated grief. Identifying such reactions is important because children with this condition are at increased risk for depression and for decline in...