Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Kolko RP,* Emery RL, Marcus MD & Levine MD. Loss of control over eating prior to and during early pregnancy among community women with overweight and obesity. Int J Eat Disord. In Press.
- Emery RL* & Levine MD. The relative contribution of personality and behavioral task measures of impulsivity in predicting body mass index: A comprehensive meta-analysis. Psych Bull. In Press.
- Levine MD, Cheng Y, Marcus MD & Emery RL. Psychiatric disorders and gestational weight gain among women who quit smoking during pregnancy J Psychosom Res. 2015; 78(5):504-8. PMCID: PMC4380755
- Levine MD, Cheng Y, Marcus MD, Kalarchian MA, Emery RL. Preventing postpartum smoking relapse: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2016;176:443-52. PMID:26998789.
- Levine MD, Bush T, Magnusson B, Cheng Y, Chen X. Smoking-related weight concerns and obesity: Differences among normal weight, overweight and obese smokers using a telephone tobacco quitline. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013; 15:1136-1140. PMCID: PMC3693501
- 74.Emery RL*, Grace JL, Kolko RP, Levine MD. Adapting the Eating Disorder Examination for use during pregnancy: preliminary results from a community sample of women with overweight and obesity. Int J Eat Disord. In Press.
- Perkins KA, Conklin CA, Levine MD. Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Smoking Cessation: A Practical Guidebook to the Most Effective Treatments. New York: Taylor & Francis; 2007.
- Marcus MD, Levine MD. Obese patients with binge eating disorder. In: Goldstein DJ, ed. The Management of Eating Disorders and Obesity, Second Edition. New Jersey: Humana Press Inc; 2004.
Now in Pediatrics: New Research in Suicidality Disparities Between Transgender and Cisgender Adolescents
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among adolescents in the United States. Yet research has shown that transgender adolescents (adolescents whose true gender identity diverges from the gender assigned at birth) have higher rates of suicidal ideation and attempt than cisgender adolescents (adolescents whose gender identity is the same as the gender assigned at birth). In a recent study published in...
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Welcomes the Clinical Psychology Intern Class of 2019-2020
The Department of Psychiatry and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) are pleased to welcome the newest members of the highly competitive Clinical Psychology Internship program, which consistently attracts gifted students. Tina Goldstein, PhD, and Michele Levine, PhD, co-direct the American Psychological Association-accredited program. The one-year internship adheres to a clinical science model of training and...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 19th Annual Research Day: A Day to Teach, Learn and Be Inspired
The 19th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 13, 2019 was our biggest yet! For the 505 faculty, postdoctoral students, residents, graduate students and staff who attended, the morning poster session and afternoon program offered a stimulating day of research and career development that was equal parts enlightenment, inspiration, fun and, at times, surprise. The morning session featured 140 posters...
Department Announces Academic Promotions
Please join us in congratulating the following faculty on their promotion to the following academic ranks:Howard Aizenstein, MD, PhD Conferral of tenure at the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry and BioengineeringAnne Germain, PhD Promotion to Associate Professor of PsychiatryPeter Gianaros, PhD Promotion to Associate Professor of PsychiatryAlison Hipwell, PhD Promotion to Associate Professor of...