Meredith L Wallace, PhD
Education & Training
- Wallace ML, Banihashemi L, ODonnell C, Nimgaonkar VL, Kodavali C, McNamee R, Germain A. Using optimal combined moderators to define heterogeneity in neural responses to randomized conditions: Application to the effect of sleep loss on fear learning. NeuroImage 2018 Nov 1;181:718-727. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.07.051 PubMed PMID: 29480752.
- Wallace ML, Buysse DJ, Germain A, Hall MH, Iyengar S. Variable Selection for Skewed Model-Based Clustering: Application to the Identification of Novel Sleep Phenotypes. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 2017 Jun; Epub Ahead of Print. doi: 10.1080/01621459.2017.1330202.
- Wallace ML, Buysse DJ, Redline S, Stone K, Ensrud K, Leng Y, Ancoli-Israel S, Hall MH. Multidimensional sleep and mortality in older adults: A machine-learning comparison with other risk factors. The Journals of Gerontology, Series A, Epub Ahead of Print. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glz044.10.1016/j.brat.2016.12.012.
- Wallace ML. Time-dependent tree-structured survival analysis with unbiased variable selection through permutation tests. Statistics in Medicine, 2014 Nov 30; 33(27):4790-804. doi: 10.1002/sim.6261. PMCID: PMC4286195.
- Wallace ML, Frank E, Kraemer HC. A novel approach for developing and interpreting treatment moderator profiles. JAMA Psychiatry. 2013 Nov;70(11):1241-7. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.1960. PMCID: PMC24048258
Findings by Holly Swartz et al. Demonstrate Psychotherapy + Medication Results in Fewer Symptoms, but More Side Effects Than Psychotherapy Alone in Patients with Bipolar II Depression
Despite being common and impairing, bipolar II disorder (BD II) is a neglected condition. BD II is characterized by multiple recurrent depressive episodes punctuated by infrequent hypomanic episodes. In one longitudinal study, the ratio of depressive to hypomanic episodes over time was 30:1. Thus, BD II is dominated by depression which, though less striking than mania (a more severe form of hypomania), can be the...
Findings by Dr. Meredith Wallace et al. Show that Lower Sleep-Wake Rhythmicity and Lower Sleep Continuity Pose Risk for Mortality in Older Men
Most studies use individual sleep characteristics to predict health outcomes. However, a recent paradigmatic shift in sleep research has led investigators to study sleep through a “sleep health” framework. Within this framework, sleep is viewed as a multidimensional pattern of sleep-wakefulness that promotes physical and mental well-being and is characterized along multiple domains including duration, continuity,...
Hot Publication - Frank et al.
An Integrated Risk Reduction Intervention Can Reduce Body Mass Index in Individuals Being Treated for Bipolar I Disorder: Results from a Randomized Trial Frank E, Wallace ML, Hall M, Hasler B, Levenson JC, Janney CA, Soreca I, Fleming MC, Buttenfield J, Ritchey FC and Kupfer DJ Bipolar Disorders, Published online December 12, 2014 Bipolar disorder is a chronic disease that is associated with a potentially...
Career Development Awards are an Important Step in Transition to Next Phase of Research Careers
The Department of Psychiatry is a model of success for K awardees. The Department's successful funding rate for federal career development (K) awards is twice the national average, and typically 30-40 funded K awards are active at any given time. The keys to this success include the research environment, the generous availability of existing research funding, an outstanding collection of mentors, and very strong...