Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Chase HW, Fournier JC, Bertocci M, Greenberg T, Aslam H, Stiffler R, Lockovich J, Graur S, Bebko G, Forbes EE, Phillips ML (2017). A pathway linking reward circuitry, impulsive sensation seeking and risky decision making in young adults: identifying neural markers for new interventions. Translational Psychiatry 7: e1096. doi: 10.1038/tp.2017.60 [PMID: 28418404] PMCID in process
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Versace A, Fournier J, Iyengar S, Olino T, Bonar L, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Forbes E, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML (2016). Predicting clinical outcome from reward circuitry function and white matter structure in youth. Molecular Psychiatry. doi: 10.1038/mp.2016.5. [Epub ahead of print] [PMCID: PMC4993633]
- Versace A, Acuff H, Bertocci M, Bebko G, Almeida JCR, Perlman S, Leemans A, Schirda C, Aslam H, Dwojak A, Bonar L, Travis MJ, Gill MK, Demeter C, Diwadkar V, Sunshine J, Holland S, Kowatch R, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz S, Frazier T, Arnold LE, Fristad M, Youngstrom E, Findling R, Phillips ML. (2015). White Matter Structure in Youth with Behavioral and Emotional Dysregulation Disorders: A Probabilistic Tractographic Study. JAMA Psychiatry 72(2):367-76. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.2170. [PMCID: PMC4415624].
- Phillips ML, Swartz HA (2014). A critical appraisal of neuroimaging studies of bipolar disorder: toward a new conceptualization of underlying neural circuitry and roadmap for future research. American Journal of Psychiatry 171:829-843. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.2014.13081008 [PMCID: PMC4119497]
- Phillips ML, Kupfer DJ (2013). Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis: Challenges and Future Directions. The Lancet 381:1683-71. [PMID 23663952]
Phillips and Colleagues Find New Risk Marker of Bipolar Disorder in Most Comprehensive Neuroimaging Study of High-Risk Children to Date
Mary Phillips, MD, MD (CANTAB), left, pictured with the publication's lead author, Heather Acuff. Bipolar disorder (BD), formerly known as manic depression, is a serious mental illness characterized by extreme changes in mood and energy levels that cycle between mania and depression. BD is highly heritable, so children of individuals with BD have an increased risk of also developing the disorder, which often first...
Congratulations to Mary Phillips, MD, MD (CANTAB) on her selection for the prestigious Colvin Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Mood Disorders Research by the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation. Dr. Phillips is an internationally renowned scientist in the field of mood disorders research and directs the Clinical and Translational Affective Neuroscience Program at the University of Pittsburgh Department of...
SOBP President Elect
Congratulations to Mary Phillips, MD, MD (CANTAB) on her election as the President Elect by the Society of Biological Psychiatry (SOBP). The society is dedicated to encouraging the study of the biological causes of and treatments for psychiatric disorders, and to promoting excellence in scientific research and education. Dr. Phillips is well suited to take on her new role. She is an internationally recognized...
BBRF Scientific Council
The Brain & Behavior Research Foundation has appointed Dr. Mary Phillips to its Scientific Council. The Council is composed of 173 world-renowned scientists and is responsible for reviewing and selecting the most promising research ideas with the greatest potential to lead to breakthroughs. Dr. Phillips is the Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders, and Professor in Psychiatry and...