Marta Pecina, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Sikora M., Heffernan J., Avery E., Mickey B., Zubieta J.K., Pecina M. Salience Network Functional Connectivity Predictors of Placebo Effects in Major Depression. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2016 Jan;1(1):68-76.
- Pecina M., Bohnert A.S.B., Sikora M., Avery E.T., Langenecker S.A., Mickey B.J., Zubieta J.K.: Association Between Placebo-Activated Neural Systems and Antidepressant Responses. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015. Sep. 30; 72(11):1-8. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2515.1335.
- Pecina M., Love T., Stohler C., Goldman D, Zubieta JK. Effects of the Mu Opioid Receptor Polymorphism (OPRM1 A118G) on Pain Regulation, Placebo Effects and Associated Personality Trait Measures. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 Mar;40(4):957-65.
- Pecina M., Martinez Jauand M., Hodgkinson C., Stohler C., Goldman D, Zubieta JK. FAAHselectively influences placebo effects. Mol Psychiatry. 2014 Mar;19(3):385-91. doi: 10.1038/mp.2013.124. Epub 2013 Sep 17.
- Pecina M, Azhar H, Love TM, Lu T, Fredrickson BL, Stohler CS, Zubieta JK. Personality trait predictors of placebo analgesia and neurobiological correlates. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013; 38 (4):639-646. PMCID: PMC3572460.
Placebo Antidepressant Treatment Reinforced by Neurofeedback Improves Mood via Prefrontal Cortex
Placebo responses are common in clinical trials of depression treatments. However, how the expectation of treatment benefits patients is not well understood, in part because it is challenging to simulate these expectations in experimental designs. In an article appearing in Translational Psychiatry , Department of Psychiatry researchers Assistant Professor Marta Peciña, MD, PhD , and Associate Professor Alexandre...
Dr. Marta Peciña Reports in European Neuropsychopharmacology that High D2/3 Receptor Availability in the Ventral Striatum of Patients with Depression Is Associated With Comorbid Anxiety Symptoms and Lack of Response to Antidepressants
Dopamine (DA) neurotransmission within the brain's reward circuit has been implicated in the pathophysiology of depression, as well as mechanisms of treatment response. Still, a direct relationship between measures of DA neurotransmission and reward-related deficits in patients with depression has not been demonstrated. In a study led by Marta Peciña, MD, PhD , Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, investigators used...
The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) Council has selected Marta Peciña, MD, PhD as a recipient of its 2017 Young Physician-Scientist Award. ASCI is an honor society of physician-scientists who translate findings in the laboratory to the advancement of clinical practice. This award recognizes early-career physician-scientists who are supported by the National Institutes of Health K series or...
Department of Psychiatry Welcomes New Research Faculty to Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh and our Department of Psychiatry are attracting talented scientists from around the country. Our Department has earned a reputation as a leader in basic science and translational research focusing on mental health disorders. With the recent addition of four talented early career scientists, the Department continues to expand its research in these important areas. Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD Assistant...