Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Schooler NR, Marder SR, Chengappa KNR, Petrides G, Ames D, Wirshing WC, McMeniman M, Baker RW, Parepally H, Umbricht D, Kane JM. Clozapine and Risperidone in Moderately Refractory Schizophrenia: a Six-month Double-blind comparison. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016;77(5):628-634. PubMed PMID: 27035871
- Chengappa KNR, Perkins KA, Brar JS, Schlicht PJ, Turkin SR, Hetrick ML, Levine MD, George TP. Varenicline for Smoking Cessation in Bipolar Disorder: A double-blind, random assignment, placebo controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014; 75:765-772. PMID: 25006684
- Chengappa KNR, Bowie CR, Schlicht PJ, Fleet D, Brar JS, Jindal R. Randomized Placebo-Controlled Adjunctive Study of an Extract of Withania Somnifera for Cognitive Dysfunction in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2013; 74:1076- 1083. PMID:24330893
- Chengappa KNR, Turkin SR, DeSanti S, Bowie CR, Brar JS, Schlicht PJ, Murphy SL, Hetrick ML, Bilder R, Fleet D. A preliminary, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of L-carnosine to improve cognition in schizophrenia, Schizophr. Res. 2012; 142:145-152. PMID: 23099060
- Chengappa KNR, Kupfer DJ, Frank E, Houck PR, Grochocinski VJ, Cluss PA, Stapf DA. The Effect of Birth Cohort on the Early Age at Onset of the First Episode of Illness in a Bipolar Disorder Case Registry. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2003; 160:1636-1642. PMID: 12944339
- Abdulkader Alam, KNR Chengappa, Frank Ghinassi, Screening for obstructive sleep apnea among individuals with severe mental illness at a primary care clinic. General Hospital Psychiatry 2012; 34(6):660-664. PMID: 22832135
- Perkins KA, Lerman C, Stitzer ML, Fonte CA, Briski JL, Scott JA, Chengappa KNR. Development of Procedures for Early Human Screening of Smoking Cessation Medications. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2008; 84(2): 216221. PMID: 18388880
- Chengappa KNR, Ebeling T, Kang JS, Levine J, Parepally H. Clozapine reduces severe self-mutilation and aggression in psychotic patients with borderline personality disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 1999 60:477-484. PMID 10453803
- Chengappa KNR, Schwarzman L, Hulihan JF, Xiang J, Rosenthal NR, for the CAPSS-168 Investigators. Adjunctive topiramate therapy in patients receiving a mood stabilizer for bipolar I disorder: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2006; 67:1698-1706. PMID: 17196048
- Chengappa KNR, Gopalani A, Haught MK, McChesney K, Baker RW, Schooler N. The treatment of clozapine-associated agranulocytosis with granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF). Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 1996; 32(1):111-121.
- A QI project for de-prescription: Lupu AM, Clinebell K, Gannon JM, Ellison JC, Chengappa KNR. (in press) Reducing anticholinergic medication burden in patients with psychotic or bipolar disorders. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.
- Nash K, Ghinassi F, Brar JS, Alam A, Bohan MC, Gopalan K, Carter A, Chengappa KNR. The Development and Implementation of an Electronic Health Record Tool for Monitoring Metabolic Syndrome Indices in Patients with Serious Mental Illness. Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses. 2016; 10(3):145-153. PMID 24275635
- Alam, A., Chengappa, KNR Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Schizophrenia: A Primer for Psychiatrists. Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2011; 23:201-209.
- Conference Director 2008-Current, Annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference. Sponsored by Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC. Held at Sheraton Station Square Pittsburgh, PA
- Water Intoxication in Psychiatric Patients. State Hospital Video Conference Series. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine; Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic; Mayview State Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA January 27, 2005.
Chengappa et al. Find Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Withania Somnifera Help to Reduce Stress and Improve Psychopathology in Patients with Exacerbated Schizophrenia Symptoms
Antipsychotic drugs are effective for psychotic symptoms but of limited utility for negative symptoms and general psychopathology (e.g., depression, anxiety, stress). Some patients with schizophrenia are thought to experience an exacerbation of symptoms caused by an imbalance of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines and elevated levels of inflammatory proteins. These immune-inflammatory alterations may adversely...
Findings by Drs. Kenneth Perkins, Roy Chengappa, and Jessica Gannon Test Novel Compound for Smoking Cessation in Smokers with Schizophrenia
Most smokers want to quit, but most who try ultimately do not succeed, even using therapeutics to aid in cessation. Dozens of cessation medications have been tested for potential efficacy during the past 30 years, yet the FDA has approved only three first-line drugs for this use: nicotine replacement, bupropion, and varenicline. Preclinical research shows that compounds acting at α7 nicotinic receptors (nAChRs) can...
The American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology Presents Dr. Kadiamada N.R. Chengappa with Best Paper in Journal Award
Congratulations to Kadiamada N.R. Chengappa, MD on his selection by the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology for its Best Paper in Journal Award. The award was presented to Dr. Chengappa on June 23rd at the Society's annual meeting in Miami Beach, FL in recognition of his article titled "Smoking Cessation in Bipolar Disorder: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study." Dr. Chengappa is Professor of...
K. N. Roy Chengappa, MD Named Academician of the Year
Please join us in congratulating K. N. Roy Chengappa, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, on his receipt of the Academician of the Year Award by the Indo American Psychiatric Association (IAPA). The IAPA award recognizes outstanding members of the organization that have made significant research or clinical contributions to the mental health field. Dr. Chengappa will be presented with the award as part of the 33rd...