Education & Training
- Wilkening, G. L., Gannon, J. M., Ross, C., Brennan, J. L., Fabian, T. J., Marcsisin, M. J., & Benedict, N. J. (2016). Evaluation of Branched-Narrative Virtual Patients for Interprofessional Education of Psychiatry Residents. Academic Psychiatry, 1-5.
- Forrest, P. E., Brinson, A. J., Gannon, J. M., George, T. P., Perkins, K. A., & Chengappa, K. N. R. (2015). An Association Between the Use of Hypnotics and Quit Status in the Treatment of Nicotine Dependence With Varenicline in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 35(2), 199-200.
- Gannon, J. M., Forrest, P. E., & Chengappa, K. R. (2014). Subtle changes in thyroid indices during a placebo-controlled study of an extract of Withania somnifera in persons with bipolar disorder. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 5(4), 241.
- Chengappa KN, Gannon JM, Acharya L, Rai A (2017). The Potential Utility of Ashwagandha for Improving Cognitive Dysfunction in Persons with Bipolar or Other Neurocognitive Disorders. In: Kaul S, Wadhwa R, editors. Science of Ashwagandha: Preventive and Therapeutic Potential. Springer International Publishing.
- Marcsisin, M. J., Rosenstock, J. B., & Gannon, J. M. (2016). Schizophrenia and Related Disorders. Oxford University Press.
Chengappa et al. Find Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Withania Somnifera Help to Reduce Stress and Improve Psychopathology in Patients with Exacerbated Schizophrenia Symptoms
Antipsychotic drugs are effective for psychotic symptoms but of limited utility for negative symptoms and general psychopathology (e.g., depression, anxiety, stress). Some patients with schizophrenia are thought to experience an exacerbation of symptoms caused by an imbalance of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines and elevated levels of inflammatory proteins. These immune-inflammatory alterations may adversely...
Findings by Drs. Kenneth Perkins, Roy Chengappa, and Jessica Gannon Test Novel Compound for Smoking Cessation in Smokers with Schizophrenia
Most smokers want to quit, but most who try ultimately do not succeed, even using therapeutics to aid in cessation. Dozens of cessation medications have been tested for potential efficacy during the past 30 years, yet the FDA has approved only three first-line drugs for this use: nicotine replacement, bupropion, and varenicline. Preclinical research shows that compounds acting at α7 nicotinic receptors (nAChRs) can...
Dr. Jessica Gannon Receives 2018 American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology New Investigator Award
Jessica Gannon, MD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, has been selected as a 2018 New Investigator Award (NIA) recipient by the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP). The organization will present the award to Dr. Gannon at a special awards ceremony at its annual meeting, which will take place May 29 to June 1, 2018, in Miami Beach, FL. The theme of this year’s meeting is Treatment of Psychiatric...
Faculty, Residents and Staff Represent Department of Psychiatry at the Annual AADPRT Meeting
Faculty, residents and staff representing the Department of Psychiatry were featured in several sessions at the recent Annual Meeting of the American Association for Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training in Orlando, FL. Michael Travis, MD , Director of the Office of Residency Training at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC (WPIC) and Co-Director of the National Neuroscience Curriculum Initiative...