Holly A Swartz, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Swartz HA, Rucci P, Thase ME, Wallace M, Carretta E, Celedonia KL, Frank E. Psychotherapy alone and combined with medication as treatments for bipolar II depression: A randomized controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry; in press
- Phillips ML, Swartz HA. A critical appraisal of neuroimaging studies of bipolar disorder: toward a new conceptualization of underlying neural circuitry and roadmap for future research; Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171 (8):829-43. (PMID: 24626773; PMCID: PMC4119497)
- Swartz HA, Cyranowski JM, Cheng Y, Zuckoff A, Brent DA, Markowitz JC, Martin S, Amole MC, Ritchey F, Frank E. Brief psychotherapy for maternal depression: Impact on mothers and children. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychiatry 2016; 55 (6):495-503 (PMCID: PMC4886238)
- Swartz HA, Frank E, Cheng Y. A randomized pilot study of psychotherapy and quetiapine for the acute treatment of bipolar II depression. Bipolar Disord 2012; 14: 211-216. (doi:10.1111/j.1399-5618.2012.00988.x; PMID 224202597; PMCID: PMC3307150)
- Swartz HA, Frank E, Zuckoff A, Cyranowski JM, Houck PR, Cheng Y, Fleming MAD, Grote NK, Brent DA, Shear MK. Brief interpersonal psychotherapy for depressed mothers whose children are receiving psychiatric treatment. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165: 1155-1162. (PMCID: PMC2757752)
- Swartz HA, Grote NK, Graham P. Brief interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-B): Overview and review of the evidence. Am J Psychotherapy 2014; 68 (4) 443-462. PMCID: PMC3149872
- Swartz HA, Fagiolini A. Cardiovascular disease and bipolar disorder: Risk and clinical implications. J. Clin Psychiatry 2012; 73 (12) 1563-1565 (doi:10.4088/JCP.12ac08227; PMID 23290329).
- Swartz HA, Levenson JC, Frank E. Psychotherapy for bipolar II disorder: The role of interpersonal and social rhythm therapy. Prof Psychol Res Pr 2012; 43 (2): 145-153. (doi:10.1037/a0027671)
- Swartz HA, Frank E, OToole K, Newman N, Kiderman H, Carlson S, Fink JW, Cheng Y, Maihoefer C, Wells KF, Houck PR, Painter T, Ortenzio SH, Simon SL, Henschke P, Ghinassi F. Implementing interpersonal and social rhythm therapy for mood disorders across a continuum of care. Psychiatr Serv 2011; 62:1377-1380. (PMID 22211221
- Swartz HA, Zuckoff A, Grote NK, Spielvogle HN, Bledsoe SE, Shear MK, Frank E. Engaging depressed patients in psychotherapy: Integrating techniques from motivational interviewing and ethnographic interviewing to improve treatment participation. Prof Psychol Res Pr 2007, 38:430-439
- Swartz HA Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) for depressed adults: Indications, theoretical foundations, general concepts, and efficacy. In: Roy-Byrne PP, Solomon D, eds., UpToDate; Waltham, MA: 2010-2016. www.uptodate.com
- Swartz HA Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) for depressed adults: Specific interventions and techniques. In: Roy-Byrne PP, Solomon D, eds., UpToDate; Waltham, MA: 2010-2016. www.uptodate.com
The Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (BBRF) has recognized two Department of Psychiatry researchers as part of its Top 10 Advancements & Breakthroughs of 2016 by researchers supported by NARSAD grants. "The top 10 discoveries were selected because of their significant contributions to our understanding of brain and behavior disorders as well as potential new treatments ," said Jeffrey Borenstein, MD, BBRF...
Dr. Swartz Elected ISIPT President
Holly Swartz, MD Begins Two-Year Term as President of the International Society of Interpersonal Psychotherapy Dr. Holly Swartz, Professor of Psychiatry, has been elected president of the International Society of Interpersonal Psychotherapy (ISIPT). She was formally welcomed as the organization?s new president at the Society?s biannual meeting that took place in London and will serve for a period of two years....
Phillips and Swartz
A Critical Appraisal of Neuroimaging Studies of Bipolar Disorder: Toward a New Conceptualization of Underlying Neural Circuitry and a Road Map for Future Research Phillips ML and Swartz HA American Journal of Psychiatry, 171:829-43, 2014 In an effort to synthesize the current knowledge of the neural underpinnings of bipolar disorder and provide a neuroimaging research road map for future studies, Drs. Mary Phillips...
Dr. Swartz Promoted to Professor
Holly Swartz, MD Promoted to Professor of Psychiatry Congratulations to Holly Swartz, MD, on her promotion to the rank of Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. A graduate of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Dr. Swartz completed her psychiatry residency and a research fellowship at the Payne Whitney Clinic at the New York Hospital ? Cornell University Medical Center, and...