Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Sparks GM, Axelson DA, Yu, H, Ha W, Ballester J, Diler RS, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Hickey MB, Ladouceur CD, Monk K, Sakolsky D, Birmaher B. Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder and chronic irritability in youth at familial risk for bipolar disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2014 Apr;53(4):408-16. Pubmed PMID: 24655650.
- Ballester J, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Yu H, Axelson D, Monk K, Hickey MB, Diler RS, Sakolsky D, Sparks G, Iyengar S, Kupfer DJ, Brent D, Birmaher B. Prospective longitudinal course of aggression among adults with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2014 6(3):262-269 Pubmed PMID: 24372913.
- Perkins KA, Lerman C, Karelitz JL, Jao NC, Chengappa KN, Sparks GM. Sensitivity and specificity of a procedure for early human screening of novel smoking cessation medications. Addiction. 2013 Nov;108(11):1962-8. Pubmed PMID: 23773319.
- Sparks GM, Brailoiu E, Brailoiu C, Dun NJ, Tabor J, Cooper RL. Effects of m-CPP in altering neuronal function: blocking depolarization in invertebrate motor and sensory neurons but exciting rat dorsal horn neurons. Brain Res. 2003 Apr 18;969(1-2):14-26. Pubmed PMID: 12676360.
- Sparks GM, Dasari S, Cooper RL. Actions of MDMA at glutamatergic neuromuscular junctions. Neurosci Res. 2004 Apr;48(4):431-8. Pubmed PMID: 15041196.
- Garrett M Sparks. Treatment of Marijuana Addiction: Clinical Assessment and Psychosocial and Pharmacological Interventions. In: Compton MT, editor. Marijuana and Mental Health. American Psychiatric Publishing; 2016. P. 171-198.
- Garrett M Sparks, David A Axelson. Lithium. In: Rosenberg D, Gershon S, editors. Pharmacotherapy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Disorders. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Wiley-Blackwell; 2012. P. 221-260.
- Rosenstock J, Sparks GM. Training physicians for the real world of medicine: administration-based learning. Med Educ. 2016 Dec;50(12):1189-91. Pubmed PMID: 27873411.
Psychiatry Faculty Receive Multiple Teaching Awards at Annual Pitt School of Medicine Curriculum Colloquium
Department of Psychiatry faculty were big winners at the annual Curriculum Colloquium hosted by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine on January 24th. The annual event recognizes outstanding faculty contributions to medical education through several prestigious awards. Honorees are selected by the Award Review Committee and Dean based on student and faculty nominations. Department of Psychiatry faculty...
2018 Class of Resident and Fellow Graduates Celebrated at Ceremony Held June 2
Please join us in congratulating the 2018 graduates of Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic Residency and Clinical Fellowship programs. Residents, fellows, and their families and friends celebrated at the graduation ceremony held at the University Club on June 2. The event recognized the completion of an important component of the residents’ medical training and the outstanding contributions of Department...
Hot Publication - Sparks et al.
Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder and Chronic Irritability in Youth at Familial Risk for Bipolar Disorder Sparks GM, Axelson DA, Yu H, Ha W, Ballester J, Diler RS, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Hickey MB, Ladouceur CD, Monk K, Sakolsky D and Birmaher B Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 53:408-416, 2014 Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD) is a new diagnosis in the DSM-5....
Garrett Sparks, MD, MS
AACAP Selects Garrett Sparks, MD, MS for Committee Appointment The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) has appointed Garrett Sparks, MD, MS to the organization?s Substance Abuse and Addiction Committee. The committee is comprised of invited representatives from the AACAP membership who have special expertise in prevention, treatment, research, and education on co-occurring mental disorders...