Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Castelnovo A, D'Agostino A, Casetta C, Sarasso S, Ferrarelli F. Sleep Spindle Deficit in Schizophrenia: Contextualization of Recent Findings. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2016 Aug; 18(8):72. PMID: 27299655
- Ferrarelli F, Riedner BA, Peterson MJ, Tononi G. Altered prefrontal activity and connectivity predict different cognitive deficits in schizophrenia. Hum Brain Mapp. 2015 Nov; 36(11):4539-52. PMID: 26288380
- Buchmann A, Dentico D, Peterson MJ, Riedner BA, Sarasso S, Massimini M, Tononi G, Ferrarelli F. Reduced mediodorsal thalamic volume and prefrontal cortical spindle activity in schizophrenia. Neuroimage. 2014 Nov 15; 102 Pt 2:540-7. PMID: 25139002
- Ferrarelli F, Sarasso S, Guller Y, Riedner BA, Peterson MJ, Bellesi M, Massimini M, Postle BR, Tononi G. Reduced natural oscillatory frequency of frontal thalamocortical circuits in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012 Aug; 69(8):766-74. PMID: 22474071
- Ferrarelli F, Peterson MJ, Sarasso S, Riedner BA, Murphy MJ, Benca RM, Bria P, Kalin NH, Tononi G. Thalamic dysfunction in schizophrenia suggested by whole-night deficits in slow and fast spindles. Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Nov; 167(11):1339-48. PMID: 20843876
- Kaskie RE, Ferrarelli F. Investigating the neurobiology of schizophrenia and other major psychiatric disorders with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Schizophr Res. 2017 May 3. PMID: 28478887
- Sprecher KE, Ferrarelli F, Benca RM. Sleep and plasticity in schizophrenia. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2015; 25: 433-58. PMID: 25608723
- Ferrarelli F. Endophenotypes and biological markers of schizophrenia: from biological signs of illness to novel treatment targets. Curr Pharm Des. 2013; 19(36):6462-79. PMID: 23432712
- Ferrarelli F & Benca RM (2010): Neurophysiology and neuroimaging of human sleep. In Winkelman & Plante (Eds.), Foundations of Psychiatric Sleep Medicine (chapter 3). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press
- Ferrarelli F (2009): The application of TMS in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive and schizophrenia disorders. In J. Mally (Ed.) The Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) in the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Central Nervous Diseases, (chapter 19). Budapest, Hu: Eurobridge Co
Faculty Members Awarded BRAINS Grants from the National Institute of Mental Health
Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD ; Judith Morgan, PhD ; and Rebecca Price, PhD each received a Biobehavioral Research Award for Innovative New Scientists (BRAINS) R01 grant from the National Institute of Mental Health. This year, 17 researchers from around the country received these prestigious awards at the Society for Neuroscience Annual Conference. The awards support the research and career development of outstanding,...
Department of Psychiatry Welcomes New Research Faculty to Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh and our Department of Psychiatry are attracting talented scientists from around the country. Our Department has earned a reputation as a leader in basic science and translational research focusing on mental health disorders. With the recent addition of four talented early career scientists, the Department continues to expand its research in these important areas. Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD Assistant...
ACNP Selects Drs. Matthew MacDonald and Fabio Ferrarelli for Travel Awards
Congratulations to Matthew MacDonald, PhD , Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, and Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD , a PGY4 resident in the Psychiatry Research Pathway track, on their receipt of Travel Awards from the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP). The researchers were selected for the awards from a pool of 338 submissions received by the organization. The awards will support their participation at...