Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Datta D, Arion D, Roman KM, Volk DW, Lewis DA: Altered expression of ARP2/3 complex signaling pathway genes in prefrontal layer 3 pyramidal cells in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 174:163-171, 2017
- Chung W, Wills ZP, Fish KN, Lewis DA: Developmental pruning of excitatory synaptic inputs to parvalbumin interneurons in monkey prefrontal cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114:E629-E637, 2017
- Arion D, Corradi J, Tang S, Datta D, Boothe F, He A, Cacace A, Zaczek R, Albright C, Tseng G, Lewis DA: Distinctive transcriptome alterations of prefrontal pyramidal neurons in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Mol Psychiatry 20:1397-1405, 2015
- Kimoto S, Zaki MM, Bazmi HH, Lewis DA: Altered markers of cortical Gamma-aminobutyric acid neuronal activity in schizophrenia: Role of the NARP gene. JAMA Psychiatry 72:747-756, 2015
- Verrico CD, Gu H, Peterson M, Sampson AR, Lewis DA: Repeated Gamma 9-tetrahydrocannabinol exposure in adolescent monkeys: Persistent effects selective for spatial working memory. Am J Psychiatry 171:416-425, 2014
- Bechtold J, Hipwell A, Lewis DA, Loeber R, Pardini D: Concurrent and sustained cumulative effects of adolescent marijuana use on subclinical psychotic symptoms. Am J Psychiatry 173:781-789, 2016
- Cho RY, Walker CP, Polizzotto NR, Wozny TA, Fissell C, Chen CA, Lewis DA: Development of sensory gamma oscillations and cross-frequency coupling from childhood to early adulthood. Cereb Cortex 25:1509-1518, 2015
- Lewis DA: Cortical circuit dysfunction and cognitive deficits in schizophrenia: Implications for preemptive interventions. Eur J Neurosci 35:1871-1878, 2012
- Frankle WG, Cho RY, Mason S, Chen C, Himes M, Walker C, Lewis DA, Mathis CA, Narendran R: [11C]flumazenil binding is increased in a dose-dependent manner with tiagabine induced elevations in GABA levels. PLoS One 7: e32443, 2012
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA: Developing a clinician educator faculty development program: Lessons learned. Acad Psychiatry 41:417-422, 2017
- Gopalan P, Azzam PN, Travis MJ, Schlesinger A, Lewis DA: Longitudinal interdisciplinary neuroscience curriculum. Acad Psychiatry 38:163-167, 2014
Enwright et al. Offer New Insights into Cell Type-Specific Molecular Alterations in Schizophrenia
Published in Molecular Psychiatry Department of Psychiatry members John Enwright, PhD; Dominique Arion, PhD; and David A. Lewis, MD, along with colleagues from other departments, have identified cell type-specific molecular alterations in schizophrenia, which could propel strategies for identifying novel therapeutic targets. The researchers investigated the molecular alterations associated with schizophrenia at the...
Hot Publication - MacDonald et al.
Selective Loss of Smaller Spines in Schizophrenia MacDonald ML, Alhassan J, Newman JT, Richard M, Gu H, Kelly RM, Sampson AR, Fish KN, Penzes P, Wills ZP, Lewis DA and Sweet RA American Journal of Psychiatry, Published online 2017 Deceased density of dendritic spines in adult schizophrenia subjects has been hypothesized to result from increased pruning of excess synapses in adolescence. In vivo imaging studies have...
Hot Publication - Chung et al.
Developmental pruning of excitatory synaptic inputs to parvalbumin interneurons in monkey prefrontal cortex Chung DW, Wills ZP, Fish KN and Lewis DA Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2017, 114:E629-E637 Working memory requires efficient excitatory drive to parvalbumin-positive (PV) interneurons in the primate dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC). Developmental prunin...
The University of Pittsburgh has appointed Dr. David Lewis as Distinguished Professor in recognition of his eminence and outstanding contributions in the fields of Psychiatry and Neuroscience. Conferral of distinguished professorship status constitutes the highest honor that the University of Pittsburgh can accord a member of its faculty. Dr. Lewis is the Thomas Detre Professor of Academic Psychiatry and Professor...