Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Datta D, Arion D, Roman KM, Volk DW, Lewis DA: Altered expression of ARP2/3 complex signaling pathway genes in prefrontal layer 3 pyramidal cells in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 174:163-171, 2017
- Chung W, Wills ZP, Fish KN, Lewis DA: Developmental pruning of excitatory synaptic inputs to parvalbumin interneurons in monkey prefrontal cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114:E629-E637, 2017
- Arion D, Corradi J, Tang S, Datta D, Boothe F, He A, Cacace A, Zaczek R, Albright C, Tseng G, Lewis DA: Distinctive transcriptome alterations of prefrontal pyramidal neurons in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Mol Psychiatry 20:1397-1405, 2015
- Kimoto S, Zaki MM, Bazmi HH, Lewis DA: Altered markers of cortical Gamma-aminobutyric acid neuronal activity in schizophrenia: Role of the NARP gene. JAMA Psychiatry 72:747-756, 2015
- Verrico CD, Gu H, Peterson M, Sampson AR, Lewis DA: Repeated Gamma 9-tetrahydrocannabinol exposure in adolescent monkeys: Persistent effects selective for spatial working memory. Am J Psychiatry 171:416-425, 2014
- Bechtold J, Hipwell A, Lewis DA, Loeber R, Pardini D: Concurrent and sustained cumulative effects of adolescent marijuana use on subclinical psychotic symptoms. Am J Psychiatry 173:781-789, 2016
- Cho RY, Walker CP, Polizzotto NR, Wozny TA, Fissell C, Chen CA, Lewis DA: Development of sensory gamma oscillations and cross-frequency coupling from childhood to early adulthood. Cereb Cortex 25:1509-1518, 2015
- Lewis DA: Cortical circuit dysfunction and cognitive deficits in schizophrenia: Implications for preemptive interventions. Eur J Neurosci 35:1871-1878, 2012
- Frankle WG, Cho RY, Mason S, Chen C, Himes M, Walker C, Lewis DA, Mathis CA, Narendran R: [11C]flumazenil binding is increased in a dose-dependent manner with tiagabine induced elevations in GABA levels. PLoS One 7: e32443, 2012
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA: Developing a clinician educator faculty development program: Lessons learned. Acad Psychiatry 41:417-422, 2017
- Gopalan P, Azzam PN, Travis MJ, Schlesinger A, Lewis DA: Longitudinal interdisciplinary neuroscience curriculum. Acad Psychiatry 38:163-167, 2014
Department Researchers Find Higher Activity of the Immune-Regulating NF-κB Signaling Pathway in Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a devastating neurodevelopmental disorder, marked by changes in a person’s thinking, emotions, and behavior. A number of brain areas are affected in the illness, including a region called the prefrontal cortex that is important for cognitive control of behavior. A growing body of evidence suggests that the immune system is activated in the prefrontal cortex in schizophrenia, but it is unclear how...
WPIC Offers Clinician-Educators Unique Career Development Opportunities
The critical role of Clinician-Educators (CEs) has continued to gain recognition within academic medical centers, and the responsibilities of CEs have increasingly become more complex. To help physicians navigate this complexity, the Department has established a programmatic approach that involves personalized career development to enable CEs to identify their talents, develop specific skill sets, and unleash their...
Findings by Dr. Marianne Seney et al. Show Opposite Brain Transcriptional Profiles in Men and Women with Major Depressive Disorder
Major depressive disorder (MDD) is a devastating psychiatric disorder and leading cause of disability worldwide. It affects women approximately twice as often as men, and incidence and symptoms differ between the sexes, affirming the importance of studying brain pathology of depression in both men and women. Women are three times as likely to have atypical depression, with hypersomnia and weight gain, suggesting...