Education & Training
- Caporino NE*, Sakolsky D*, Brodman DM, McGuire JF, Piacentini J, Peris TS, Ginsburg GS, Walkup JT, Iyengar S, Kendall PC, Birmaher B. Establishing Clinical Cutoffs for Response and Remission on the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2017;56(8):696-702
- Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Monk K, Yu H, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler RS, Iyengar S, Brent D, Kupfer D, Birmaher B. Diagnostic precursors to bipolar disorder among offspring of parents with bipolar disorder: A longitudinal study. Am J Psychiatry.2015;172 (7):638-46.
- Ginsburg GS, Becker EM, Keeton CP, Sakolsky DJ, Piacentini J., Albano AM., Compton, SN, Iyengar S., Sullivan K, Caporino N, Peris T, Birmaher B, Rynn M., March J, Kendall, PC. Naturalistic follow-up of youth treated for pediatric anxiety disorders. JAMA Psychiatry 2014; 71(3):310-18.
- Ginsburg GS, Kendall PC, Sakolsky D, Compton SN, Piacentini J, Albano AM, Walkup JT, Sherrill J, Coffey KA, Rynn MA, Keeton CP, McCracken JT, Bergman L, Iyengar S, Birmaher B, March J. Remission after acute treatment in children and adolescents with anxiety disorders: Findings from the CAMS. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology. 2011;79(6):806-13.
- Sakolsky DJ, Perel JM, Emslie GJ, Clarke GN, Wagner KD, Vitiello B, Keller MB, Birmaher B, Asarnow JR, Ryan ND, McCracken JT, Strober MJ, Iyengar S, Porta G, Brent D. Antidepressant exposure as a predictor of clinical outcomes in the Treatment of Resistant Depression in Adolescents (TORDIA) Study. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2011; 31(1): 92-97.
- Sakolsky D, Goldstein TR, Poling K, Dietz L, McKain B, Brent DA. Development of an adjunctive group intervention for adolescents with mood and anxiety disorders transitioning to college. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, April 2015; Miami, FL
- Birmaher B & Sakolsky D. Pharmacological Treatment of Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents In: Essau CA & Ollendick TH, editors. The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of the Treatment of Childhood and Adolescent Anxiety. West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell; 2013. p. 229-48.
- Sakolsky D & Birmaher B. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) In: Rosenberg B, Gershon S, editors. Pharmacotherapy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Disorders, Third Edition. West Sussex, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.; 2012. p. 131-54.
- Sakolsky D & Birmaher B. Developmentally informed pharmacotherapy for child and adolescent depressive disorders. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2012; 21(2): 313-25.
- Sakolsky DJ, Birmaher B. Pharmacotherapy. In: Essau C, editor. Treatments for Adolescent Depression-Theory and Practice. New York: Oxford University Press; 2009. p. 241-60.
- Kolko DJ, Campo J, Kilbourne AM, Hart J, Sakolsky D, Wisniewski S. Collaborative care outcomes for pediatric behavioral health problems: a cluster randomized trial. Pediatrics. 2014; 133 (4):981-992.
- Sakolsky D, Birmaher B. Pediatric anxiety disorders: management in primary care. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2008; 20(5): 538-43. PMID: 18781116.
New Research in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Examines Family Functioning in Offspring of Bipolar Parents
For people living with bipolar disorder, challenging family relations can both result from and aggravate the disorder’s symptoms. Existing studies that examine the family environment of young people with familial risk for bipolar disorder have not distinguished whether stressors—such as high rates of conflict—are uniquely related to this disorder or are similarly experienced by families affected by other, non...
Phillips and Colleagues Find New Risk Marker of Bipolar Disorder in Most Comprehensive Neuroimaging Study of High-Risk Children to Date
Mary Phillips, MD, MD (CANTAB), left, pictured with the publication's lead author, Heather Acuff. Bipolar disorder (BD), formerly known as manic depression, is a serious mental illness characterized by extreme changes in mood and energy levels that cycle between mania and depression. BD is highly heritable, so children of individuals with BD have an increased risk of also developing the disorder, which often first...
Hafeman et al. Report on the Usefulness of a Risk Calculator to Predict New-Onset Bipolar Spectrum Disorder in Youth in JAMA Psychiatry
Early identification of individuals at high risk for the onset of bipolar spectrum disorder (BPSD) is key from both a clinical and research perspective. In this study, Dr. Hafeman and colleagues built a risk calculator to predict the five-year onset of BPSD in youth at familial risk. This study tested the degree to which a time-to-event model, including measures of mood and anxiety, general psychosocial functioning...
Hot Publication - JAACAP
Child/Adolescent Anxiety Multimodal Study: Evaluating SafetyRynn MA, Walkup JT, Compton SN, Sakolsky DJ, Sherrill JT, Shen S, Kendall PC, McCracken J, Albano AM, Piacentini J, Riddle MA, Keeton C, Waslick B, Chrisman A, Iyengar S, March JS and Birmaher B.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 54:180-190, 2015Anxiety disorders are among the most common childhood psychiatric disorders...