Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Karim HT, Tudorascu DL, Walker S, Aizenstein JH, and Andreescu C. In the grip of worry cerebral blood flow changes during worry induction and reappraisal in late-life generalized anxiety disorder. Translational Psychiatry, 2017
- Andreescu C, Sheu LK, Tudorascu D, Gross JJ, Walker S, Banihashemi L, Aizenstein H. Emotion reactivity and regulation in late-life generalized anxiety disorder: Functional connectivity at baseline and post-treatment. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015
- Andreescu C, Gross JJ, Lenze E, Edelman KD, Snyder S, Tanase C, Aizenstein H. Altered cerebral blood flow patterns associated with pathologic worry in the elderly. Depress Anxiety. 2011
- Andreescu C, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Whyte EM, Mazumdar S, Dombrovski AY, Pollock BG, Reynolds CF 3rd. Empirically derived decision trees for the treatment of late-life depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2008
- Andreescu C, Lenze EJ, Dew MA, Begley AE, Mulsant BH, Dombrovski AY, Pollock BG, Stack J, Miller MD, Reynolds CF. Effect of comorbid anxiety on treatment response and relapse risk in late-life depression: A controlled study. Br J Psychiatry. 2007
- Andreescu C, Varon D. New research on anxiety disorders in the elderly and an update on evidence-based treatments. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015
- Aizenstein HJ, Khalaf A, Walker SE, Andreescu C. Magnetic resonance imaging predictors of treatment response in late-life depression. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2014
- Andreescu C, Aizenstein H. MRI studies in late-life mood disorders. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2012
- Varon D, Andreescu C: Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment, in Kaplan & Sadocks Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 10th edition. Eds Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia Alcott Sadock, Pedro Ruiz; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2016.
- Andreescu C: Late-Life Anxiety Disorders, in Geriatric Psychiatry (Pittsburgh Pocket Psychiatry). Eds. Mark D. Miller, LalithKumar K.Solai. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. 2013
- Lenze EJ, Wetherell JL, Andreescu C: Anxiety Disorders, in Essentials of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2nd edition. Eds Dan G. Blazer, David C. Steffens, American Psychiatric Publishing Press, Arlington VA, 2012
- Andreescu C, Aizenstein HJ: Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment, in Kaplan & Sadocks Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th edition. Eds Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia Alcott Sadock, Pedro Ruiz; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2010
- Lenze EJ, Wetherell JL, Andreescu C: Anxiety Disorders in the Elderly, in American Psychiatric Association Textbook of Geriatric Neuropsychiatry, 3rd edition. American Psychiatric Publishing Inc., 2011
Carmen Andreescu, MD Appointed Associate Professor by Pitt School of Medicine
Carmen Andreescu, MD is an internationally recognized expert on the affective neuroscience of late-life mood and anxiety disorders. Her study of the functional and structural neural circuity of emotion dysregulation in generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) led her pursue a novel set of hypotheses regarding severe worry as a central feature and organizing concept in research on the neurobiology of GAD. The development...
Investigators in the Geriatric Psychiatry Neuroimaging Lab Publish First Study to Explore Cerebral Blood Flow Correlates of Worry Induction in Late Life
Published in Translational Psychiatry Severe worry arises from a complex blend of maladaptive affective and cognitive processes. Contrary to other forms of anxiety, there is no consensus in the field regarding the neural basis of worry. No previous study has looked at cerebral blood flow changes associated specifically with in-scanner induction and reappraisal of worry. In the first study of its kind, Department of...
Hot Publication - Karim et al.
Intrinsic functional connectivity in late-life depression: Trajectories over the course of pharmacotherapy in remitters and non-remitters Karim HT, Andreescu C, Tudorascu D, Smagula SF, Butters MA, Karp JF, Reynolds C and Aizenstein HJ Molecular Psychiatry, Published online 2016 Previous studies in late-life depression (LLD) have found that patients have altered intrinsic functional connectivity in the dorsal...
First Time R01 Recipients Embark on Next Phase of Their Careers
The receipt of a researcher's first R01 grant is an important milestone in their career as an independent scientist. Six investigators in the Department of Psychiatry, who recently completed NIH-funded mentored career development K grants, have successfully transitioned to their first R01 awards. These individuals, are representative of the many, next-generation scientists who are conducting innovative and exciting...