Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Montez DF, Calabro FJ, Luna B. The expression of established cognitive brain states stabilizes with working memory development. Elife. 2017 Aug 19;6. pii: e25606. doi: 10.7554/eLife.25606. PMCID: PMC5578740
- Jalbrzikowski M, Larsen B, Hallquist MN, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Development of White Matter Microstructure and Intrinsic Functional Connectivity Between the Amygdala and Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex: Associations With Anxiety and Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 1;82(7):511-521. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2017.01.008. Epub 2017 Jan 17. PMCID: PMC5522367
- Hallquist MN, Geier CF, Luna B. Incentives facilitate developmental improvement in inhibitory control by modulating control-related networks. Neuroimage. 2018 May 15;172:369-380. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.01.045. Epub 2018 Jan 31. PMCID: PMC5910226
- Murty VP, Shah H, Montez D, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Age-Related Trajectories of Functional Coupling between the VTA and Nucleus Accumbens Depend on Motivational State. J Neurosci. 2018 Aug 22;38(34):7420-7427. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3508-17.2018. Epub 2018 Jul 20. PMCID: PMC6104300
- Marek S, Tervo-Clemmens B, Klein N, Foran W, Ghuman AS, Luna B. Adolescent development of cortical oscillations: Power, phase, and support of cognitive maturation. PLoS Biol. 2018 Nov 30;16(11):e2004188. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.2004188. eCollection 2018 Nov. PMID: 30500809
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Tervo-Clemmens B, Foran W, Luna B. Age-associated deviations of Amygdala function connectivity in youths with psychosis spectrum disorders: relevance to psychotic symptoms. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2019 Jan 18. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18040443 [Epub ahead of print]
- Murty VP, McKinney RA, DuBrow S, Jalbrzikowski M, Haas GL, Luna B. Differential patterns of contextual organization of memory in first-episode psychosis. NPJ Schizophr. 2018 Feb 15;4(1):3. doi: 10.1038/s41537-018-0046-8. PMCID: PMC5814439
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Simmonds D, Calabro FJ, Montez DF, Lekht JA, Day NL, Richardson GA, Luna B. Early Cannabis Use and Neurocognitive Risk: A Prospective Functional Neuroimaging Study. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018 Aug;3(8):713-725. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2018.05.004. Epub 2018 May 29. PMID: 30033100
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Stan PL, Saifullan J, Simmonds D, Foran W, Luna B. Differentiating between clinical and behavioral phenotypes in first-episode psychosis during maintenance of visuospatial working memory. Schizophr Res. 2017 Nov 11. pii: S0920-9964(17)30689-8. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2017.11.012. [Epub ahead of print] PMCID: PMC5948111
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Quach A, Luna B, Foran W, Chung T, De Bellis MD, Clark DB. Neural Correlates of Rewarded Response Inhibition in Youth at Risk for Problematic Alcohol Use. Front Behav Neurosci. 2017 Nov 3;11:205. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00205. eCollection 2017. PMCID: PMC5675888
Now in American Journal of Psychiatry: Age-Associated Deviations of Amygdala Functional Connectivity and Psychosis Spectrum Disorders
Examining brain development and changes in connectivity during adolescence is critical to developing a deeper understanding of psychosis spectrum disorders, which often emerge during the transition from adolescence to adulthood. The amygdala, a key brain region associated with emotion regulation processes that undergo significant changes during adolescence, is closely linked with psychosis. It is possible to...
New from Pitt Psychiatry: Improved Understanding of Neural Mechanisms Associated with Duration of Untreated Psychosis
Many patients experiencing first-episode psychosis don’t receive medical care until they have endured psychotic symptoms for an extended period, which is referred to as duration of untreated psychosis (DUP). Such long periods of untreated psychosis—the average length is 74 weeks—are associated with poorer clinical outcomes, creating an urgent need to improve the means to reduce DUP. An important step toward this...
New Research in Functional Coupling between the VTA and the Nucleus Accumbens Extends Prior Models of Neurodevelopment
Why do adolescents engage in risky behavior? Scientists believe that the reason may stem from brain changes that occur during this period, including increased activity in certain regions of the mesolimbic dopamine system. The mesolimbic system connects the ventral tegmental area (VTA) and the nucleus accumbens, forming a reward pathway that enhances motivation in adolescents. In adolescent rodents and humans,...
Hot Publication - Jalbrzikowski et al.
Development of White Matter Microstructure and Intrinsic Functional Connectivity between the Amygdala and Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex: Associations with Anxiety and Depression Jalbrzikowski M, Larsen B, Hallquist MN, Forana W, Calabro F and Luna B Biological Psychiatry, Published Online 2017 Connectivity between the amygdala and ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC) is compromised in multiple psychiatric...