Vanessa M Brown, PhD
Education & Training
- Brown VM, Wilson JW, Hallquist MN, Szanto K & Dombrovski AY. (2020). Ventromedial prefrontal value signals and functional connectivity during decision-making in suicidal behavior and impulsivity. Neuropsychopharmacology, 45(6), 1034-1041.
- Brown VM, Chen J, Gillan CM, Price RB. (2020). Improving the reliability of computational analyses: Model-based planning and its relationship with compulsivity. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 5(6), 601-609.
- Brown VM, Zhu L, Wang JM, Frueh BC, King-Casas B & Chiu PH. (2018). Associability-modulated loss learning is increased in posttraumatic stress disorder. eLife, 7, e30150.
- Brown VM, Haswell C, Gold A, McCarthy G, LaBar K & Morey RA. (2014). Altered resting-state functional connectivity of basolateral and centromedial amygdala complexes in posttraumatic stress disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology, 39, 361-369.
- Brown VM & Pecia M. (2019). Neuroimaging studies of antidepressant placebo effects: Challenges and opportunities. Frontiers in Psychiatry: Neuroimaging and Stimulation, 10(669).
- Brown VM, Strauss J, LaBar K, Gold A, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup, McCarthy G & Morey RA. (2014). Acute effects of trauma-focused research procedures on participant safety and distress. Psychiatry Research, 215(1), 154-158.
The American Journal of Psychiatry: Experimental Manipulation of the Orbitofrontal Cortex Affects Short-Term Markers of Compulsive Behavior
Individuals with compulsive behavior disorders, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), experience compulsions in which the ability to engage in flexible goal-directed behavior is impaired in favor of habitual behaviors. Research from both animal and human studies have indicated that alterations within the orbitofrontal cortex are a key factor in the onset of compulsive behaviors. However, questions remain...
The Department of Psychiatry Welcomes Vanessa Brown, PhD, to the Faculty
We are thrilled to announce that Vanessa Brown, PhD, has joined the faculty as Assistant Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Brown earned her PhD in clinical psychology from Virginia Tech and completed her psychology internship at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital, followed by the Department of Psychiatry’s National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)-funded Clinical and Translational Research Training in Geriatric...