Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hall M, Mulukutla S, Kline CD, Samuelsson LB, Taylor BJ, Thayer JF, Krafty RT, Frank E, Kupfer DJ: Objective sleep duration is prospectively associated with endothelial health. Sleep, 40(1):zsw003, 2017.
- Taylor BJ, Matthews KA, Hasler BP, Roecklein KA, Kline CE, Buysse DJ, Kravitz HM, Tiani AG, Harlow SD, Hall M. Bedtime variability and metabolic health in midlife women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 39(2):457-65, 2016.
- Hall M, Casement MD, Troxel WM, Matthews KA, Bromberger J, Kravitz HM, Krafty RT, Buysse DJ: Chronic stress is prospectively associated with sleep in midlife women: The SWAN sleep study. Sleep, 38(10):1645-54, 2015.
- Hall M, Matthews K, Kravitz H, Gold E, Buysse DJ, Bromberger J, Owens J, Sowers MF. Race and financial strain are independent correlates of sleep in mid-life women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 32(1):73-82, 2009.
- Hall M, Vasko R, Buysse DJ, Ombao H, Chen Q, Cashmere JD, Kupfer DJ, Thayer JF. Acute stress affects heart rate variability during sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66:56-62, 2004.
Martica Hall, PhD, Receives the Sleep Research Society’s Mary A. Carskadon Outstanding Educator Award
Congratulations to Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology and Clinical and Translational Science Martica Hall, PhD , who has received the Sleep Research Society Mary A. Carskadon Outstanding Educator Award for excellence in education related to sleep and circadian research. The award honors outstanding educational contributions to disseminating the knowledge base, research methods and health and safety significance of...
Dr. Martica Hall’s Groundbreaking Research Ties Sleep to Effects on Physical Health
Martica Hall, PhD , Professor of Psychiatry, doesn’t spend her days forging new ground in oil field exploration like her father did, but she certainly is doing so in the field of dreams we call sleep. Dr. Hall was born in Venezuela and her dad’s work as a geologist in the oil business kept her family overseas, living in Bolivia, Argentina, Venezuela and Colombia, until she moved to Miami for high school. Likely...
Dr. Stephen Smagula Correlates Greater Sleep Fragmentation and Less Sustained/Sharply Segregated Resting and Active Periods in Strained Caregivers with Depression Severity
Depression is associated with disturbances to sleep and the 24-hour sleep-wake pattern, or rest-activity rhythm (RAR). However, there remains a need to identify the specific sleep/RAR correlates of depression symptom severity in population subgroups, such as strained dementia caregivers, who are at elevated risk for major depressive disorder. In a five-year study led by Dr. Smagula’s mentor, Martica Hall, PhD,...
Hot Publication - Wilckens et al.
The role of non-rapid eye movement slow wave activity in prefrontal metabolism across young and middle-aged adults Wilckens KA, Aizenstein HJ, Nofzinger EA, James JA, Hasler BP, Rosario-Rivera BL, Franzen PL, Germain A, Hall MH, Kupfer DJ, Price JC, Siegle GJ and Buysse DJ Journal of Sleep Research, 25:296-306 (2016) Slow-wave sleep is a marker for cortical reorganization, particularly within the prefrontal cortex,...